Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-11-2023, 12:17 AM

Hey lets pop in this lease. I have a feeling. I need to take a leak anyways so its a good time to blind call.

Mee-oo twice on the Imakada bull crazy and oh my. Instant bull elk action at 125yds. Walking to me.

Now he is staring at me so I drop in behind a little willow. Point the call at the ground and start shaking the little tree.

At 42 yds and first hunt of the year I figure heck, any bull elk with an arrow is a good bull.

Arrow hit solid, he walked up a little bank and tipped. Gutted the bull and had him in box of truck inside 30mins. That never happens. Good grub, real happy. Lets go 2023-good luck and thanks everyone for sharing cool pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2023, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post

Hey lets pop in this lease. I have a feeling. I need to take a leak anyways so its a good time to blind call.

Mee-oo twice on the Imakada bull crazy and oh my. Instant bull elk action at 125yds. Walking to me.

Now he is staring at me so I drop in behind a little willow. Point the call at the ground and start shaking the little tree.

At 42 yds and first hunt of the year I figure heck, any bull elk with an arrow is a good bull.

Arrow hit solid, he walked up a little bank and tipped. Gutted the bull and had him in box of truck inside 30mins. That never happens. Good grub, real happy. Lets go 2023-good luck and thanks everyone for sharing cool pics.

Congrats you lucky bugger

Things never go that smoothly for me
Old 09-11-2023, 05:36 AM

That’s awsum. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
First big game bow kill:
First buck, last buck, that's just a nice buck.
Congrats.
Old 09-11-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:

>>
Man alive! Sometimes the hunting gods shine down on a person hey?! Great job and congrats!. Can't quit smiling here for you
Old 09-11-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Very well done!
Old 09-14-2023, 11:09 PM

Why does everyone have to repost the whole thread with pictures. I just don't get this feature.
Old 09-15-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:

Arrow hit solid, he walked up a little bank and tipped. Gutted the bull and had him in box of truck inside 30mins. That never happens. Good grub, real happy. Lets go 2023-good luck and thanks everyone for sharing cool pics
Haha! That's terrific!

Sometimes it does go down like that. We all need a break now and then!

Well done!
Old 09-17-2023, 01:53 AM

Had lots of great encounters stalking and decoying (dont have patience to sit over water) goats with the kid this season. With work taking me away Monday for the next couple weeks, decided it was time to fold the tag today as tomorrow would pretty much be wrap on the season for me.

My old man plans to draw to this tag next year and partner my son on it as he has a few under his belt (all sitting over water), so was great for me and the boy to learn together chasing mine, will definitely help for next year. We'll be giving Grandpa a workout walking the prairies with decoy in hand haha!

Old 09-17-2023, 07:30 AM

Nicely done. Very nice goat
Old 09-17-2023, 08:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:

Sometimes it pays off to stop and take a leak

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-17-2023, 10:30 PM

Default Bulls x 2

True arrows
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 865e694a-019e-4b7b-8ef2-0965e8683775.jpg (74.0 KB, 519 views)
File Type: jpg 99b762cc-eb48-437d-9fb8-ac4c732752ea.jpg (77.1 KB, 476 views)
Old 09-17-2023, 10:32 PM

Good gob RDH, and 300.

TBark
Old 09-18-2023, 07:51 PM

Awesome Bull! Congrats.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:16 PM

Beautiful bull. Thanks for sharing!

DR

Old 09-19-2023, 10:56 AM

Congratulations to all the successful hunters, keep those pictures coming and enjoy the fresh meat.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:56 PM

Great job gents!!!
Old 09-21-2023, 10:52 PM

Default Bulls x 2

Mikes first ever kill hunting, great old herd bull. My 6x7 was satellite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94ebd3b7-1018-45d5-b315-7ff780f9f1f1.jpg (40.4 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg 99b762cc-eb48-437d-9fb8-ac4c732752ea.jpg (77.1 KB, 277 views)
Old 09-22-2023, 07:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyparty View Post

First ever, wow!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-22-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyparty View Post
>>
Lights out guys! Great bulls and congrats!
Old 09-23-2023, 12:47 PM

First archery elk! First day of the hunt and I got this bull. The shot looks a bit far back but it’s because he turned at the sound of the shot so the arrow angled in just in front of the liver and went to the opposite shoulder obliterating both lungs on the way. Carrying a hind and a front on my back at once was definitely a lot heavier then packing out a sheep in the Yukon that’s for sure. Makes me respect the backcountry elk hunters a lot more hahaha

Last edited by 270hunter; 09-23-2023 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post
First archery elk! First day of the hunt and I got this bull. The shot looks a bit far back but it’s because he turned at the sound of the shot so the arrow angled in just in front of the liver and went to the opposite shoulder obliterating both lungs on the way. Carrying a hind and a front on my back at once was definitely a lot heavier then packing out a sheep in the Yukon that’s for sure. Makes me respect the backcountry elk hunters a lot more hahaha

>>
Holy crow kiddo!! Absolutely fantastic and with a bow to boot. Very, very cool
Old 09-23-2023, 02:44 PM

And I forgot to add, the best part by far was being able to talk to the bulls with my diaphragm calls. Shortly after I shot mine, then the big 6x6 had to announce himself
I responded with a bugle since my dad was in front of me with his bow and a few cow calls had him strutting across the field to us. He stopped short at about 100 yards and he eventually turned around and walked back to his cows but I’m pretty sure it was because I made 2 crappy cow calls in a a row by accident. Luckily my dad drew the bull tag for this zone so we will be back in rifle season for revenge.
Old 09-23-2023, 09:30 PM

congrats on a nice bull elk. If you debone that meat, you will knock off roughly 1/3 of the weight... Hunt smarter, not harder... LOL Enjoy the meat.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:32 PM

Nice Bull Congrats! Any bow & arrow kill is always nice!
Old 09-24-2023, 04:45 PM

Default Bow elk

Awesome pics

I admire the guys packing bone in quarters…our elk are almost processed by time they get into pack, #youngstrongbacks
Old 09-25-2023, 02:38 PM

My 16 year old’s first archery whitetail. We primarily hunt mule deer, but while still hunting through the brush along the edge of a lake opening week, we caught sight of this beauty buck and started hunting him as much as we could. I made a poor decision and took an iffy shot at him a little over a week ago (totally my fault, and i was shaking like crazy) and grazed his front leg. We kept at it though, and on Saturday morning we caught him going through a pinch point between some corrals and the open ground by the lake. Thought we lost him in the brush, but he was actually bedded about 50 yards in front of us without us knowing… i hooked around to the other side to hopefully relocate him, but when Matty inadvertently kicked a bush, the buck stood up right in front of him. The deer looked at matty and then took two steps and looked back again. This gave him time to come to full draw and make a perfect shot. Much better than his old man.
With all the pressure on this property, I’m surprised there are bucks of this size that make it through year after year.

Old 09-25-2023, 03:08 PM

Lookit the young guys getting it done! Great job!
Old 09-25-2023, 03:19 PM

Nice buck, congrats
Old 09-25-2023, 06:23 PM

About 10 days ago I picked my buddy up from school and went out for the evening. Within an hour we had this buck on the ground. This was his first mule deer buck (he’s 16 as well) and it was with a bow to boot! That’s been the best part of being 16 is having a truck and hunting before and after school on the daily. We’ve hunted quite a bit since then with a few encounters with our big target whitetail buck. Hopefully that buck is next.