Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2021, 07:45 PM

Default Boat Tire Balancing

Anybody know of a joint whom will balance a pair of new boat trailer tires without costing more than the tires themselves? Edmonton North, East, South end?
Old 06-08-2021, 09:11 PM

I’m thinking you could get them balanced pretty much anywhere but if a tire shop didn’t sell them to you they are probably not going to give you any deal on the balancing.

A few years back now I ordered some bags of tire balancing beads off Amazon. I then let the air out of the tires and with a bit of work broke the bead in a spot on all 4 tires. In went the beads and with a ratchet strap and my compressor I was able to get the tire back on the rim with a bit of dish soap. That solved my balancing issue. Now, this was on a quad not a boat trailer, but an unbalanced tire is an unbalanced tire and balancing beads are used on 40”+ 4x4 tires all the time.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:53 PM

PA specials come on the rim mounted ready to go but there are no weights on them. I figure there is no chance they can be balanced from the factory. They are just 12”ers on a 2,0000lbs axle so they’ll be spinning at some high rpm at highway speeds. Don’t want a vibration.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:12 PM

Does your local Walmart have a tire center? That is about the only place I've found that will mount/balance tires that you didn't buy from them. Now I have a buddy who has the machines so I flip him some cash and he does the tires.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:30 AM

Try Veles Tires. In the future just buy them there. You'll pay a little bit more but they will be balanced.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:40 AM

Canadian Tire will balance any tire and they are pretty cheap. Last ones were like 12 bucks a pop, not bought from CT, at the Sta Albert location.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:04 PM

I’ve had hundreds of trailer tires over the years. Never seen a single one balanced yet.

Not even from factory on brand new trailers.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
I’ve had hundreds of trailer tires over the years. Never seen a single one balanced yet.

This has been my experience also. Not hundreds for me but dozens and not 1 was balanced and I never had a issue.

Unless the OP is having issues I’d not worry about it.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:48 PM

One of the biggest reasons trailer bearings need to be serviced every year is because people don't bother balancing their tires. Balance a set and give it a try, your bearings and spindles will last forever.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post

My bigger boat trailer which I bought second hand is a shorelander and it has weights on the tires. It pulls like butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
One of the biggest reasons trailer bearings need to be serviced every year is because people don't bother balancing their tires. Balance a set and give it a try, your bearings and spindles will last forever.
That is the theory I’m going with. This trailer is second hand and I noticed a vibration on it once speeds get past 80km/h. Tires that came with it where shot. Swapping out bearings and will get new tires balanced hopefully that resolves the issue.

Last edited by Penner; 06-09-2021 at 07:40 PM.