Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 03:01 PM

Default Newell/CVR Directions

So first I'm not looking for specific spots.

Burbot

Perch

Lake Whitefish

I'm not really asking how to catch them (bait, tackle, etc.) more of WHERE they fish are generally. At this point I am convinced Newell and CVR ONLY have Walleye and Pike.

Once the whitefish leave where they spawn where the heck do they go? And do you only catch them in the AM/PM?

I am starting to understand how to use my fish finder (even through the ice without drilling) or without dropping my cam down a hole to figure out the substrate (gravel vs mud.. haven't figured out sand yet).

So on Newell... Burbot? I've been out 1/2 dozen times in the PM well into the dark, at one point we had lines at ~47 feet through to 20 feet. Shouldn't they be in the deep part of Newell off the Island or this time of year are they not there?

Here's what I'm worried about. Spawn is coming up soon now and I still haven't a clue where I'm going to find them. And if I lose out on it another year in a row especially since 2020 was a tough year and I've been looking forward to this for 3 years now (since I learned about Ling Cod)... ughhh.

Anyways I got advice on where to go from a patient at work once but I think he pointed me in the wrong spot because the water was so shallow where I went I was drilling up mud. So they spawn on shoals? Sandy? Gravel? Mud? Most of Newell is mud. I've discovered I can figure out where the gravel is close to Islands but from what I understand the whole SW, W, center... well most of the lake is mud.

Same goes for CVR, but I know the east side north past that east bay thing is more rocky. But to what extent I don't now.

So if someone wants to take me out so I don't have a heart attack if I don't catch a burb AGAIN or if someone wants to point me in the bathy-logical/geological areas on Newell or CVR where I might have more success than I've been having.

OH and I understand a lot of Albertans consider perch to be a trash fish, so I'll take all your "trash" if you want if you want to give me an idea on where I'm gonna find perch enough for my kids to have fun.

Dang I'll take Suckers too as this point I'm so desperate. Smoke them and chop the heads off if its a turn-off and pass 'em off as whitefish, I know an old native guy who did that one, sold them to the Italians, they never knew the different haha.

Thank you.