Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-03-2015, 08:50 PM

Default Coyote hunting fails

Hi, I'm new to the whole guns and hunting hobby (3years). I got it in my head the first year to go out coyote hunting so I bought a primos ecall and some camo and made many attempts at calling in coyotes, all of which ended with absolutely no results not a single sighting at best a returned howl from what sounded to be miles away. I have since boughten snow camo, a primos decoy, numerous mouth calls, sent eliminating laundry detergent, sent eliminating body soaps, various attractants, and to date the best I have been able to do is get a coyote to appear on a distant hill sit down and stare in my general direction, and nothing I do will get it to budge eventually it just gets up and walks off like nothing ever happened. This has happened twice now at two different locations.
I have treys more locations than I can remember and still nothing! Tracks everywhere so what am I doing wrong?!?!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:56 PM

They either smell you or you are catching their attention while you are calling. Possibly hearing you get walking into your stand, slamming the doors on your vehicle when getting out or parking your vehicle so they can see it. Just some thoughts.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell1 View Post
Hi, I'm new to the whole guns and hunting hobby (3years). I got it in my head the first year to go out coyote hunting so I bought a primos ecall and some camo and made many attempts at calling in coyotes, all of which ended with absolutely no results not a single sighting at best a returned howl from what sounded to be miles away. I have since boughten snow camo, a primos decoy, numerous mouth calls, sent eliminating laundry detergent, sent eliminating body soaps, various attractants, and to date the best I have been able to do is get a coyote to appear on a distant hill sit down and stare in my general direction, and nothing I do will get it to budge eventually it just gets up and walks off like nothing ever happened. This has happened twice now at two different locations.
I have treys more locations than I can remember and still nothing! Tracks everywhere so what am I doing wrong?!?!
Have you taken wind direction into account?
Old 01-03-2015, 09:06 PM

In thinkin more on the account that if there is that much track and sign and you have made that many sets that on percentage wise you shoulda got a few pups to respond.not happening obviously with your post.im guessin even as a rockie that you are you should get a response eventually.notta.im thinkin the area you are calling is over called cause lets face it with the couple dogs as you mentioned up on the hill on there rear havnt smelled you any experienced dog hunter can put that together.
Id say move and start calling diffrent areas,litterately 20miles away cause local guys hit a big area in short order on the right sound carrying days.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:52 PM

Need way more detail than what you posted.
How far are you getting away from your vehicle?
Is vehicle out of sight?
What sounds are you using for the time of year?
How long are your sets?
Distance between sets?
Yeah you will get a few juveniles to come running in just wailing on rabbit sounds. But with so many guys predator hunting these days it ain't easy.
We did 4 sets today, the final set a male/female pair came in at 19 minutes. They came in running hard. We doubled up so no educated dogs running free.
Some days it will just work some days it won't.
More info on your set ups can offer more advice.
Keep it together, rob
Old 01-03-2015, 11:11 PM

movement?

i've not had a lot of luck when it's nice weather, only when it's bloody cold and lotsa snow
i usually just drive around in the area(making sure i got access to most of the fields) and look for them
then i'll set up somewhere against a fence and watch the direction of where i think i seen them
Old 01-04-2015, 01:31 AM

Where abouts are you located? If you are anywhere near me, I don't mind taking you out.
Edit: I have never used a e - caller though.

Last edited by Hydro1; 01-04-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:49 AM

Do some more reading maybe, I got my first yote on New Years day and it was my first time EVER attempting to call them.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:30 AM
Banned

when I started calling dogs (30 or so years ago), it was so easy it was stupid.

now everyone who thinks they're a hunter grabs a gun and an electric call and heads out................every dog in the country is educated and it's not the least bit unusual to see them run the other way as soon as they hear a call.

used to be the only dog hunter in the whole area, 'cause everyone said "u can't call a coyote!"............boy have things changed.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:33 AM

Besides taking all the advice, just keep trying! I would like to consider myself good at calling but I still experience many unsuccessful outings. The success makes it worth it though.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:02 PM

I have been trying in Cypress County area of the province around Medicine Hat, Elkwater, Suffield and Hilda. So far all my try's have been on crown land, I don't mind asking for permission to access crown land but so far haven't felt comfortable asking for permission to access someone's private land, perhaps these areas are over hunted? But I hear guys speak of their success in these areas.
When I get to where I intend to call I usually park well out of the area where the truck can't be seen and try to quite as possible walking in what après to be the best path to keep myself out of sight, once I find my spot I will put down gun and set up my e call 50 or so yards infront of me, sometimes I put out my decoy and use some scents but I always try to mix things up and frankly I'm getting tired of carrying a bunch of stuff with me that hasn't produced any results, so the last few attempts have just been with the caller. Also I try to enter the area with the wind in favour.
I usually start with a female invitation howl which has produced answers back but from what sounds to be a great distance away. After a few of these howls I go to a rabbit in distress and a pup in distress and have played a little with birds in distress but none work any better than others. I have tried soft and loud volume levels but the only time I have ever gotten a response is at full volume which in my opinion would scare anything in the are away, however twice now they have just sat and watched and couldn't care less what was going on.
I don't smoke while I'm in the field but I am a smoker but I have tried everything to eliminate the possibilities of odours.
I'm at a complete loss of ideas on what to do! I have read, tried and bought just about everything short of dressing myself in raw meat!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:10 PM

Have you tried hand calls as well? A $10 hand call may intice them more than your ecaller....ya never know!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:26 PM

Default BOLD yotes in the COLD

Were you out today??
I have found over 40 yrs. of calling that if the weather is nice its very tough and they are careful. But a day like today -30 are the very best days sound carry's very good and the yotes burn a lot of energy to keep warm, I've had the best success -15 or lower.
If you really want to get them that's when you can even make small mistakes an their stomachs overrule their brain.
Dress warm an go get them.. The cold makes them bold ........
sst
Old 01-04-2015, 11:00 PM

Are you skylined? As in sitting on top of the hill. Are you in the shade of the sun? You are trying to be a coyote sniper. Stay hidden. I was recently on a stand with a good friend of mine and he knows more about calling than anyone I know. We were lucky. Seen one yotes bedding down. Parked vechile out of sight. Came in along a coulee draw. We set up in different spots 30 yards apart. He was in the shade I was on side of coulee bank. We knew he was there sleeping but not sure exact spot. He called a young coyote then a rabbit. It stood up from his bed quite alert. Whoops there was one more that popped up as well. Both started in slow. I had a shot at the first but waited so the second could come in range. They both slowly worked their way in. Looking and quite wary at times. The closest one came down a trail into the coulee and stopped then did the head weave. Bang my buddy whacked it. Good thing cause it was about to turn tail. I never got a shot at the other one. On further inspection of the crime scene the yote had skylined me and the sun had risen which had my buddy in the sun. So... We educated one and educated ourselves as well. Skyline and sun = weary yotes. We were lucky next time we won't make that mistake again.
Anyways the morel of the story is don't sit on top of hill and be in the shade. It seems like your yotes are tipped off way before they come in to shooting range and scent is a factor but if they are outside shooting range they will have to be exactly down wind with no wind swirls or gusts.

My 2 cents. Good luck.