Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingd View Post
It's got nothing to do with being a rat for me. The guys family and its not worth the hassle in my mind. Sorry but my family is more important to me than a few deer. To have your entire family in law turn on me isn't going to solve anything. He will get caught eventually anyway. the guy already says he is against it and told his brother in law that. Either way good luck

Poor choice of words on my part.

It's not just a few deer, it's a few deer this year, plus multiple lynx. Over the course of the next 20 years, that could easily grow to over 100 animals, if he isn't stopped. He is a low life poacher, and inlaw or not, he deserves to be turned in. When he is caught, the people that knew about this, and didn't turn him in should be charged as accessories.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:11 PM

Default Lynx poacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's not just a few deer, it's a few deer this year, plus multiple lynx. Over the course of the next 20 years, that could easily grow to over 100 animals, if he isn't stopped. He is a low life poacher, and inlaw or not, he deserves to be turned in. When he is caught, the people that knew about this, and didn't turn him in should be charged as accessories.

So pm the guy, get the info about where the Lynx are getting mounted, throw on your batman costume and call it in. Save the OP the trouble. Win win ha ha

Kidding. But seriously why not? It would be pretty easy if the OP would tell you. Why have 9 pages of this when it's an easily solved problem. The op doesn't have to get in trouble with the family, it looks like a random taxidermist check up and the guy gets busted.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Is this even a question?

When I was a little kid, long before I went to school, I was taught the difference between right and wrong.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
That's hilarious! Really? Birds of a feather per chance? Just saying. I learned too as a child not to be a tattle tale, but really, are you still a child, or an ethically, morally, responsible adult? Why even have a RAP program, or tags or licenses? We can all just run amuck with no consequences. Seems like a dumb statement that you would condone such activities, let alone share camp with a bunch of poachers. That's after all what you did say. Anyone can say they're not a poacher, but who do you believe? The guy who says he's not a poacher or the guy who says he doesn't mind hanging out with em?

Tullfan
Have you ever considered that eroding family values, divorce rates through the sky, and throwing your friends and relatives under the bus to protect Alberta's "WILDERNESS???" has led to the need for rat lines and the massive social problems we read about in the papers everyday. How about man up, clean your own house and show some guts rather than an anonymous tip to get enforcement to do your dirty work for you. Who do you believe? The guy with the intestinal fortitude to take his B in Law to school or the pantywaste who calls anonymous rat lines on his kin. Man up or Shut up. Doesn't take a lotta guts to call a TIP line. What is so ethical or moral about taking the cowards way out. I guess we were just raised different. I would help my family hide a body nevermind a couple cats and a buck or 2.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
That's hilarious! Really? Birds of a feather per chance? Just saying. I learned too as a child not to be a tattle tale, but really, are you still a child, or an ethically, morally, responsible adult? Why even have a RAP program, or tags or licenses? We can all just run amuck with no consequences. Seems like a dumb statement that you would condone such activities, let alone share camp with a bunch of poachers. That's after all what you did say. Anyone can say they're not a poacher, but who do you believe? The guy who says he's not a poacher or the guy who says he doesn't mind hanging out with em?

Tullfan
Noooo...that is after all not what I said at all.
-Never said I condone it.
-Never said I want to share a camp with poachers
-Never said I don't mind hanging with poachers.
I said I have no use for rats....period.
Wow,some of y'all must have lead some pretty sheltered lives is all I can say?In many circles,rats have a short life expectancy....or at the very least,a promising future of pain and discomfort as a distrustful outcast.
Personally,I'd have more respect for OP if he told his BIL to "knock it off or I'll knock you out."
Old 01-02-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
Have you ever considered that eroding family values, divorce rates through the sky, and throwing your friends and relatives under the bus to protect Alberta's "WILDERNESS???" has led to the need for rat lines and the massive social problems we read about in the papers everyday. How about man up, clean your own house and show some guts rather than an anonymous tip to get enforcement to do your dirty work for you. Who do you believe? The guy with the intestinal fortitude to take his B in Law to school or the pantywaste who calls anonymous rat lines on his kin. Man up or Shut up. Doesn't take a lotta guts to call a TIP line. What is so ethical or moral about taking the cowards way out. I guess we were just raised different. I would help my family hide a body nevermind a couple cats and a buck or 2.
He already said that he talked to him, and although we don't know the exact details of the conversation I'm assuming that he made a decent attempt to get the point across and explain the consequences. So now that he has already confronted his brother in law and the guy doesn't care, what next? Ignore it because you're afraid that people will be mad at you? Talk about cowardly. You know what magical thing happens when we turn 18? We become adults. We enter the big boy world where there are consequences for every one of our actions, good or bad and we are responsible for those actions. Our parents aren't right behind us to guide our actions and tell us right from wrong. This guy is a grown man, he is aware of the conseqences of his actions and he still continues to poach. Of course the op should first approach him, explain the situation and tell him to cut the crap and from what I interpreted from the original post, he has already done this. Reporting him from that point isn't cowardly, exactly the opposite. If you're that afraid of the opinions of a criminal brother in law or his wife who doesn't care either, that's a pretty sad situation.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Noooo...that is after all not what I said at all.
-Never said I condone it.
-Never said I want to share a camp with poachers
-Never said I don't mind hanging with poachers.
I said I have no use for rats....period.Wow,some of y'all must have lead some pretty sheltered lives is all I can say?In many circles,rats have a short life expectancy....or at the very least,a promising future of pain and discomfort as a distrustful outcast.
Personally,I'd have more respect for OP if he told his BIL to "knock it off or I'll knock you out."

Might I suggest you live a sheltered life. Things have changed since kindergarden tattletale rules. Bullies and cheats made those rules up. People with attitudes like yours perpetuate the problems in our society.

If you have no use for rats you do then admit you have no use for upstanding law abiding citizens. But you state that you would condone vigilante law by knocking out the poacher. Is knocking out a BIL a more effective solution?

Go to the doctors. Something is affecting your peripheral vision. You can't see the big picture. Maybe your campfires have toxic smoke.

Otherwise, have a good day. Wishing you the best. Hope you get better.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 01-02-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:25 PM

I wonder what the people that wouldn't turn him in, would say, if he wasn't a relative and they saw him poach a big buck that they were hunting.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Might I suggest you live a sheltered life. Things have changed since kindergarden tattletale rules. Bullies and cheats made those rules up. People with attitudes like yours perpetuate the problems in our society.

If you have no use for rats you do then admit you have no use for upstanding law abiding citizens. You state that you would condone vigilante law by knocking out the poacher. Is knocking someone out is a more effective solution?

Go to the doctors. Something is effecting your peripheral vision. You can't see the big picture.
Might I suggest you wouldn't last a month in some neighbourhoods,not a week on many jobs,and not a day in jail.....unless of course you like the sheltered life of PC with the rest of the rats and diddlers.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70sapper View Post
He already said that he talked to him, and although we don't know the exact details of the conversation I'm assuming that he made a decent attempt to get the point across and explain the consequences. So now that he has already confronted his brother in law and the guy doesn't care, what next? Ignore it because you're afraid that people will be mad at you? Talk about cowardly. You know what magical thing happens when we turn 18? We become adults. We enter the big boy world where there are consequences for every one of our actions, good or bad and we are responsible for those actions. Our parents aren't right behind us to guide our actions and tell us right from wrong. This guy is a grown man, he is aware of the conseqences of his actions and he still continues to poach. Of course the op should first approach him, explain the situation and tell him to cut the crap and from what I interpreted from the original post, he has already done this. Reporting him from that point isn't cowardly, exactly the opposite. If you're that afraid of the opinions of a criminal brother in law or his wife who doesn't care either, that's a pretty sad situation.
And if you value a flea infested cat and a deer over your family that's an even sadder situation and I feel sorry for you and those who share your beliefs. It must suck to know you have no one to turn to when the chips are down.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
I wonder what the people that wouldn't turn him in, would say, if he wasn't a relative and they saw him poach a big buck that they were hunting.
If he was not a relative I would turn him in in a heartbeat for the cats and the deer he has poached. I don't care if it was a buck I was after or a gopher. The only reason he gets a pass if I was the OP is he is a relative. Not a relative I would rat him out all day and night.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:39 PM

Wow. I would never have believed there were so many closet poachers on this forum. Yes, if you condone/turn a blind eye to poaching you are no better in my mind. Also includes those who believe letting the law know about a lawbreaker is bad thing.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Might I suggest you wouldn't last a month in some neighbourhoods,not a week on many jobs,and not a day in jail.....unless of course you like the sheltered life of PC with the rest of the rats and diddlers.
Watch out, we got a badass here. all I know is that if I was poaching, and I got reported by anyone, I wouldn't have anyone to be mad at but myself. Yah if it was family that caught me I woud expect to be confronted about it first, for sure, but if I was and I blew the person off, well that's my choice. Too bad some people expect to be babied, personally I take responsibility for my actions and choices.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Funny.... the neighborhoods and jobs you mention are not places I would want to be part of anyway. Don't have to worry about jail either cause I don't break laws or associate with anyone that does.

You want to call me a rat. Pretty serious allegation there. By your statement you sound like you know about these things.

Water off my back. Bet you I sleep better than you.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-02-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
If he was not a relative I would turn him in in a heartbeat for the cats and the deer he has poached. I don't care if it was a buck I was after or a gopher. The only reason he gets a pass if I was the OP is he is a relative. Not a relative I would rat him out all day and night.
So poaching is only wrong, if the poacher isn't a relative?
Old 01-02-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
And if you value a flea infested cat and a deer over your family that's an even sadder situation and I feel sorry for you and those who share your beliefs. It must suck to know you have no one to turn to when the chips are down.
If someone is big enough to make the chips they can eat them themselves.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
So poaching is only wrong, if the poacher isn't a relative?
Poaching is always wrong. Wrecking a family over it is just more wrong. And don't think for a minute ratting him wont come back to bite you. The guys gonna get caught anyway.

Last edited by nof60; 01-02-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:48 PM

Default Lock this thread

Didn't take long to get to the personal attacks and vague state of nature threats on this topic.

Where r the mods?
Old 01-02-2015, 05:51 PM
Gone Hunting

I wouldn't report a drunk driver if he was a family member. I'd wait till he killed someone and got caught

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-02-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Poaching is always wrong. Wrecking a family over it is just more wrong. And don't think for a minute ratting him wont come back to bite you. The guys gonna get caught anyway.

But keep up putting words in everyones mouth as you like to do. How many alimony and child support cheques you writing a month? PS I already know the answer.

If you are writing alimony and child support cheques every month, perhaps you shouldn't be the one telling us how to avoid wrecking a family.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
Well guys, it's eating at my conscience and am looking for advice. My brother in law really likes to shoot lynx. He's shot 3 this year while coyote hunting. He has no trappers license. I've explained the rules regarding the trapping and protection of lynx under such regulations. He took one last year, and got scared and discarded the animal, after contacting 3 taxidermists who wouldn't mount the animal. This year he's bragging about getting all 3 mounted and selling two of the mounts.
I know he does other stupid things as well. In the whitetail season, he shot 5 bucks, two of which were wounded. He placed his tag on the biggest one and I'm not sure what he did with the other 2. Hunts on posted land, trespasses where he wants, etc, etc...
I want to "keep peace" in the family here. I've spoken to his wife, my wife's sister, about his actions and all she says is that he can do what he wants. Hmmm...
Do I leave this alone, and just ignore the ignoramus, or do I proceed to fish and wildlife?

I've quit hunting with him all together, hoping he may get the point, but nothing seems to be sinking in.
It's too late now. Just by posting you've opened the can of worms, now and for along time you will have to deal with it. All the pats on the back your getting may not keep you warm at night. Their are proper ways to deal with family issues, and one of the last resorts would be to air the dirty laundry in public.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
My family always has my back and I have theirs. But the thing is, even if my own father was poaching and I confronted him about it, he didn't listen and I reported him, he wouldn't hold it against me. Why? Because he's a grown man. He makes his own decisions, knows the consequences of his actions. He doesn't need or expect people to turn a blind eye and baby him because he's immature, irresponsible or whatever else. Of course if he was the kind of person who would poach, he would also be the kind of person that expects people to keep it quiet no matter what. Because nothing says you care about your family like putting other family members in bad spots because of your actions.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:53 PM

With all this sound advice, maybe OP can pop back in and let us know what he's decided to do ?
Or maybe just enjoy the bickering on this thread.

TBark
Old 01-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashi View Post
it's too late now. Just by posting you've opened the can of worms, now and for along time you will have to deal with it. All the pats on the back your getting may not keep you warm at night. Their are proper ways to deal with family issues, and one of the last resorts would be to air the dirty laundry in public.
amen!
Old 01-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you are writing alimony and child support cheques every month, perhaps you shouldn't be the one telling us how to avoid wrecking a family.
Im with the same wonderful and very patient woman I married out of college. 15 Years and 2 wonderful kids. Can you say the same thing? But again keep putting words in my mouth. Wow I cant believe I let you get to me again. 2 weeks off my ignore list and here we go again. I guess back on the list for you. (Said in soup Nazi voice)
Old 01-02-2015, 06:00 PM

I was being serious to the op earlier.

Trouble will come to your Bil one way or another.
Either you call him in ,or it's been done already by someone here.

You really should have this thread deleted so there is no trace of your involvement.
When trouble comes his way, you could proclaim that your wife's sister "is a loud mouth after all".
And if she really is, as you stated in another thread, then it just might be believable.

Of course, maybe this is a clever thread.
Bil sees this thread, knows the heat is imminent and smartenes up?

Ask a mod to delete your thread....
Save the kitties and your marriage.
Believe me, divorce is expensive and ugly.

Payback can also be costly.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70sapper View Post
My family always has my back and I have theirs. But the thing is, even if my own father was poaching and I confronted him about it, he didn't listen and I reported him, he wouldn't hold it against me. Why? Because he's a grown man. He makes his own decisions, knows the consequences of his actions. He doesn't need or expect people to turn a blind eye and baby him because he's immature, irresponsible or whatever else. Of course if he was the kind of person who would poach, he would also be the kind of person that expects people to keep it quiet no matter what. Because nothing says you care about your family like putting other family members in bad spots because of your actions.
You don't seem to understand the concept of having someones back.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
It's too late now. Just by posting you've opened the can of worms, now and for along time you will have to deal with it. All the pats on the back your getting may not keep you warm at night. Their are proper ways to deal with family issues, and one of the last resorts would be to air the dirty laundry in public.
Well said
Old 01-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
I was being serious to the op earlier.

Trouble will come to your Bil one way or another.
Either you call him in ,or it's been done already by someone here.

You really should have this thread deleted so there is no trace of your involvement.
When trouble comes his way, you could proclaim that your wife's sister "is a loud mouth after all".
And if she really is, as you stated in another thread, then it just might be believable.

Of course, maybe this is a clever thread.
Bil sees this thread, knows the heat is imminent and smartenes up?

Ask a mod to delete your thread....
Save the kitties and your marriage.
Believe me, divorce is expensive and ugly.

Payback can also be costly.
But buying stuff at divorce sales is awesome so I think he should rat him out. Maybe even cause 2 divorces. All so a flea infested cat and a deer can have JUSTICE
Old 01-02-2015, 06:05 PM

In speaking with my BIL, it is very clear he has no regards for the rules or just doesn't understand em. Numerous times, he has trespassed on posted land, or land he "thought" he had permission on. He hunts with natives for moose without a tag. He has an attitude that he must kill at all costs. No respect for wildlife, for landowners or conservation. I am going to report him. I'm just in the process of getting more info. I'm trying to find out what taxis he's gonna go to. I know of one already. This guy is a piece of crap when it comes to respect for hunting. He's a heartless sniper.
He needs to grow up and learn consequences of bad actions.
My wife is 100% behind me on this.
Closed Thread