Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:51 AM

blame it on your loud mouth sister in law? Seems like it would be too easy.
Really, if she is a loud mouth know it all as you say, then it wouldn't be too difficult to hatch a plan.
And run off with your smokin hot wife

So simple.
If it's actually important to you...
Or legit.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:21 AM

F/W has been informed of this post and will be looking into it.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
F/W has been informed of this post and will be looking into it.
Good. Sounds like the brother in law is a real winner. I would report him in a heart beat. Who really cares if the loser never talks to you again.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Banned

Regardless of what you say to him he's going to do whatever he wants.

Report him but be smart about it. Find out where he's getting the lynx mounted and call the fella and tell him to report your BIL or you'll report the both of them. It sounds like he's got a big mouth so he has likely told numerous people and he would never know who did it. Accusations about the deer probably won't go anywhere but 2 lynx in a taxidermist's possession would get him nailed.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
you took a chance you could have got shot.
wasn't too worried, had a gun in my hand too, not only a knife - lol

you have to do what's right, only once it hasn't worked out where a "discussion" ensued, was not related to hunting though.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:03 PM

People always get hung up on family this family that, fyi, if your family member is an idot, then he's an idiot. Yah it sucks to deal with the aftermath, but if he shot 5 bucks this year????? How many years has this guy been hunting????? Enough said
Old 01-02-2015, 12:30 PM

You first have to talk to your wife, and explain the seriousness of his actions (fines, vehicle/equipment confiscations, suspensions, jail time) and let her know he is not welcome around you and yours. You need her on your side.

After that, do what you feel is right. Youve got some pretty good advice on here so far.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
Do I leave this alone, and just ignore the ignoramus, or do I proceed to fish and wildlife?
But some beer and go for a hunt...he sounds like a lot of fun....

Old 01-02-2015, 12:46 PM

If the situation was something that you could live with then you probably wouldn't be asking what to do on here and I'm thinking you are probably just looking for validation as you want to call it in.

Lots for you to think about as this will affect relations in your family.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:51 PM

Angry Do it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
report him or pm me his info and i'll do it for you
X2 let me do it!!!!! Sounds like your getting a clear direction from this end.
YOU NEED TO PUT THIS SOB DOWN!
Old 01-02-2015, 01:03 PM

I hunted with one of my brothers-in-law....ONCE, and 30 years ago.
"If anyone from PETA is reading this, I hope you hit a moose on the highway in your smartcar. I love animals; they're delicious. And I hope when you have children, they turn out just like me." Huntinstuff
Old 01-02-2015, 01:10 PM

Sounds like your brother in law is a little immature to say the least. At any rate he doesn't give a darn about you if he's putting you in a bad spot. Talk is cheap and who knows what anyone would really do if put in your situation. But if you get in trouble because of him your going to be in the same boat relationship wise.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:17 PM

Ranch 11... God may forgive you for your sins but your nervous system won't. Your conscience is aready stressing. Deal with it now instead of years down the road when it has chewed up your wellbeing.

Think of the poached wildlife in terms of ...,lets say,... meth trafficking to your kids or human trafficking.....

If you were aware of the situation would you keep quiet if it was your BIL doing these things? Family or not. A crime is a crime is a crime.

If you are not part of the solution you are part of the precipitate.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Banned

Happy Wife. Happy life.

You can be right. Or you can be married. But sometimes you cant be both.

Is a dead lynx or deer worth 40 years of uncomfortable Christmas dinners?

Besides. You are family now. By marriage but family just the same. I would question a mans morals more for ratting family than for poaching a cat or a deer.

Besides, if he is as blatant about his actions as you say the problem will resolve itself.

Rat him out and in a couple years we will be seeing another "Does anyone know a good divorce lawyer" threads.

Its not meth on a schoolyard, its not murder, its not robbing banks or molesting children.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:01 PM

You have to know when to pick your battles.

Ranch 11 give a call tonight if you get time.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
Happy Wife. Happy life.

Besides. You are family now. By marriage but family just the same. I would question a mans morals more for ratting family than for poaching a cat or a deer.

Besides, if he is as blatant about his actions as you say the problem will resolve itself.

Rat him out and in a couple years we will be seeing another "Does anyone know a good divorce lawyer" threads.

Its not meth on a schoolyard, its not murder, its not robbing banks or molesting children.

This
Old 01-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Happy Wife. Happy life.

This indeed.....and the list of AO members that I would ever care to share camp with gets shorter and shorter with every one of these RAP threads....not that I'm a poacher,just got no use for rats.Most of us learned back in kindergarten that nobody likes a tattle tale.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:39 PM

Oh Ya,, be a punk and let what his sister thinks determine your ethics. Sounds like they both have a low life entitlement mentality. I'm guessing the reason you actually have to come on here and ask whats the right thing to do, is because you haven't got the backbone to do what you know is right. Why the heck would you care what they, or anyone else thinks? Put on your big boy pants and do what you know is right.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
This indeed.....and the list of AO members that I would ever care to share camp with gets shorter and shorter with every one of these RAP threads....not that I'm a poacher,just got no use for rats.Most of us learned back in kindergarten that nobody likes a tattle tale.
Your list may actually be getting longer...guys who don't like to follow the rules would love to hunt with someone who turns a blind eye

LC
Old 01-02-2015, 02:43 PM

It's not like he accidentally shot the wrong animal, he has purposely poached several animals. All of this nonsense about being a rat for turning in a habitual poacher is just nonsense. I would hunt with someone that turns in poachers, but I won't hunt with someone that condones poaching, and if you know that someone is poaching, and you don't turn them in, then you are condoning poaching.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:56 PM

Hiding from your moral and or civic duty because you dont want to be a "rat" is the most gutless and spineless excuse I think I've ever heard
Old 01-02-2015, 03:02 PM

Default Lynx poacher

It's got nothing to do with being a rat for me. The guys family and its not worth the hassle in my mind. Sorry but my family is more important to me than a few deer. To have your entire family in law turn on me isn't going to solve anything. He will get caught eventually anyway. the guy already says he is against it and told his brother in law that. Either way good luck

Poor choice of words on my part.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Banned

you can't be that afraid of confrontation.

do the right thing and don't let people ruin the outdoors for everyone
Old 01-02-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbgdr View Post
Hiding from your moral and or civic duty because you dont want to be a "rat" is the most gutless and spineless excuse I think I've ever heard
Yupp. The guy has poached 8 animals this year alone from what we've been told. So when does t become too much. If everyone killed 5 deer and 3 Lynx how would that affect populations. There are laws and limits for a reason. A lot of people hunt and if it was a free for all, there wouldn't be much left in a short amount of time. So when is it too much? When there's 2 of these guys? 100? 1000? When does it go from being a rat to having a spine and doing what's right? Every individual poacher is part of a larger problem and if everyone let just one slide, there would be a lot (more) of them running around. In my opinion, if you're more worried about being a rat than maning up and doing the right thing, you're probably not mature enough to be hunting anyways. The guys wife is supposed to stand by his side. Poaching 8 animals is serious, and no doubt he has poached far more than that over the years. If she actually cared about him, there should be no doubt that she would stand by him.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Happy Wife. Happy life.

Maybe I used too strong of an example. I was only insinuating that a crime is a crime. Serious or not, it is these corruptions that are eroding our wildlife resources and defeating management efforts.

A better analogy would be...If you were a fruit farmer...
Do you leave the bad fruit on your tree so it can poison the rest of the fruit on your tree? The family tree?

The original post says this poacher is married to his wifes sister. So the guy is not blood family. He is a taint on the tree.

If everyone's BIL shot a few extra deer and lynx.....we might as well not have any hunting or trapping licences and we can all be hunting freemen that no laws apply to.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-02-2015, 03:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
Well guys, it's eating at my conscience and am looking for advice. My brother in law really likes to shoot lynx. He's shot 3 this year while coyote hunting. He has no trappers license. I've explained the rules regarding the trapping and protection of lynx under such regulations. He took one last year, and got scared and discarded the animal, after contacting 3 taxidermists who wouldn't mount the animal. This year he's bragging about getting all 3 mounted and selling two of the mounts.
I know he does other stupid things as well. In the whitetail season, he shot 5 bucks, two of which were wounded. He placed his tag on the biggest one and I'm not sure what he did with the other 2. Hunts on posted land, trespasses where he wants, etc, etc...
I want to "keep peace" in the family here. I've spoken to his wife, my wife's sister, about his actions and all she says is that he can do what he wants. Hmmm...
Do I leave this alone, and just ignore the ignoramus, or do I proceed to fish and wildlife?

I've quit hunting with him all together, hoping he may get the point, but nothing seems to be sinking in.
Where are you located Ranch 11?
Old 01-02-2015, 03:29 PM

My girlfriends mom used to drink and drive. I called the police and she just got her license back after 3 years. Family,future family, doesn't matter Imo.
Illegal is illegal.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70sapper View Post
Yupp. The guy has poached 8 animals this year alone from what we've been told. So when does t become too much. If everyone killed 5 deer and 3 Lynx how would that affect populations. There are laws and limits for a reason. A lot of people hunt and if it was a free for all, there wouldn't be much left in a short amount of time. So when is it too much? When there's 2 of these guys? 100? 1000? When does it go from being a rat to having a spine and doing what's right? Every individual poacher is part of a larger problem and if everyone let just one slide, there would be a lot (more) of them running around. In my opinion, if you're more worried about being a rat than maning up and doing the right thing, you're probably not mature enough to be hunting anyways. The guys wife is supposed to stand by his side. Poaching 8 animals is serious, and no doubt he has poached far more than that over the years. If she actually cared about him, there should be no doubt that she would stand by him.
Exactly. Situations like this and the poachers that do get caught are only the tip of the ice berg. I would be willing to be that there are thousands of animals poached or illegally over harvested annually in Alberta including fish. It's a gross injustice to the future of your kids heritage if this blatant act is condoned. Family, friends, acquaintances, where does one morally draw the line? Laws, rules, and regulations are for everyone. You are the one who has to look yourself in the mirror, you are the one who ultimately has to live with this on your conscience.

It's bad enough the way that our "powers to be" manage our fish and wildlife resource, but when there's a system in place for the general public to help manage the resource and we don't use it to our benefit as a whole, then the whole system fails.

We all know our justice system is flawed. Flawed beyond belief in a lot of situations, but when citizens deliberately choose to ignore the law and to not allow the justice system to work then we have failed the society we live in.

BW

Last edited by Bigwoodsman; 01-02-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
That's hilarious! Really? Birds of a feather per chance? Just saying. I learned too as a child not to be a tattle tale, but really, are you still a child, or an ethically, morally, responsible adult? Why even have a RAP program, or tags or licenses? We can all just run amuck with no consequences. Seems like a dumb statement that you would condone such activities, let alone share camp with a bunch of poachers. That's after all what you did say. Anyone can say they're not a poacher, but who do you believe? The guy who says he's not a poacher or the guy who says he doesn't mind hanging out with em?

Tullfan
Old 01-02-2015, 03:56 PM

If F&W were to do an inspection of the taxidermy shop where these lynx are being mounted, I would bet that the taxidermist will have trouble producing the proper permits, and the poaching problem would be brought to light, and dealt with accordingly.