Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-29-2014, 02:16 PM

Default Info needed

Hi everyone, just curious on people's thoughts on this, I will try and provide all the info I was provided.

A friend of mine was heading into private land for an evening deer hunt. He went in on a cut line to just sit in his truck for the last 45 minutes of legal light.. Here is where this may get a bit foggy as far as proper info. He stated he was in his truck rifle in hand with clip in.... He looked in his rear view mirror and the fish cops were walking up behind him.... As they approached they did the their job in asking questions and so on....he was given a ticket because he has his clip in...

Here are my questions.

Fish and game have to have permission to go on private land don't they?
If you are in your truck with the engine off on a cut line can you have a clip in your rifle? Sorry just not sure on this one....

I am glad they are doing their job, I am just curious on the above two items...

Thanks in advance. I don't have any further info at this time to provide....
Old 12-29-2014, 02:27 PM

You can't have a loaded rifle in or on a vehicle, any where.

I have seen guys shoot out the back of a pick-up truck (at targets, not hunting). Figured it wasn't my place to give 'em a lecture.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:38 PM

Cant answer the question regarding access to private property, but the firearms question is pretty clear in the regs.

have a loaded firearm (live ammunition in breech, chamber or magazine) in or on, or discharge a weapon from
a boat unless the boat is propelled by muscular power or is at anchor and the person is hunting, or
any kind of aircraft or vehicle whether it is moving or stationary.
Note: Ammunition may be carried in a magazine that is not attached to the firearm.

Highlighted the pertinent points. Years ago it was to not have a loaded firearm, and many skirted the rules with no round in the chamber. The wording was reworked to close a loophole.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 12-29-2014, 02:51 PM

From the wildlife act.

Entry on and the passing over of land
66(1) A wildlife officer or wildlife guardian may, without a
warrant, enter on and pass over any land while lawfully engaged in
the exercise of powers or the performance of duties or functions
given him or her by, or that otherwise relate to the enforcement of,
this Act, including those implied by section 65.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:23 PM

Sucks if your busted, doesn't it ?

Grizz
Old 12-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Banned

Good to know I'll stop loading salt shot next time the fish cops are on my land
Old 12-29-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesilva View Post
Good to know I'll stop loading salt shot next time the fish cops are on my land
might be a good idea ...lol
Old 12-29-2014, 03:53 PM

Fish and Wildlife have the authority to enter onto private land in the execution of their duty
Old 12-29-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Years ago it was to not have a loaded firearm, and many skirted the rules with no round in the chamber. The wording was reworked to close a loophole.

MAC
I'll see if I can find an old set of regs, but there was never a loophole. The definition of loaded use to clearly state- live ammunition in the chamber or breech. Magazine was added in the late 90's if I remember correctly.

I can remember asking an officer why the change and he said his superiors felt there was less chance of someone forgetting a round in the chamber this way.

He was personally against the new law because in his opinion, it was more dangerous to have someone racking rounds through the chamber in a panic as he approached.
He was obviously referring to rifles without floor plates or magazines.
I could see his point.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:12 AM

Default F &w

A few years back F & W officer asked my relative if he could go onto his land to check out 3 old boys on their goose hunt. My relative refused him access as he did not want them bothered by F & W if maybe the missed counted and had a extra goose. I believe if it was example a deer hunter had shot say a doe deer and no season and officer had seen infraction from the road, I believe they are within their rights to enter on private land, but not to do a routine check.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
A few years back F & W officer asked my relative if he could go onto his land to check out 3 old boys on their goose hunt. My relative refused him access as he did not want them bothered by F & W if maybe the missed counted and had a extra goose. I believe if it was example a deer hunter had shot say a doe deer and no season and officer had seen infraction from the road, I believe they are within their rights to enter on private land, but not to do a routine check.
Agreed, a truck parked in a field shouldn't be enough to allow them access. I've left a vehicle in my fields for lots of reasons, so it doesn't automatically mean someone is hunting
Old 12-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffw12 View Post
Fish and Wildlife have the authority to enter onto private land in the execution of their duty
Exactly, they can enter your residence as well if they believe there has been wildlife infractions committed.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:25 AM

Unless you hit a real "Keener" Wildlife Officer, odds are pretty slim they're going to enter onto private land without adequate justification...a truck parked in a field isn't likely going to cause them to stop...an unoccupied truck sitting in a field & gunshots audible...different story
Old 12-30-2014, 08:38 PM
Banned

I've never ran intow fish and wildlife when I'm hunting I figure there's not many where I hunt
Old 12-31-2014, 12:33 PM

I have had a Wildlife Officer walk into a field that I was goose hunting in order to check that everything was legit. We were shocked that he would come out there given that the birds were flying and he would flare birds. It was private land. I doubt he had asked permission and I am certain that he was within his rights. I am just amazed that he didnt wait til we were packing up. No big deal though.
kidd
Old 12-31-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd View Post
I have had a Wildlife Officer walk into a field that I was goose hunting in order to check that everything was legit. We were shocked that he would come out there given that the birds were flying and he would flare birds. It was private land. I doubt he had asked permission and I am certain that he was within his rights. I am just amazed that he didnt wait til we were packing up. No big deal though.
kidd
No he wasnt within his rights in that case. I would of quickly let him know my displeasure, get his officer number and filed a complaint in front of him for interfering with a legal hunt in progress.

Most fiah cops are polite enough to watch at a distance until you are done your shoot
Old 12-31-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd View Post
kidd
Should have charged him with interrupting a lawful hunt.

Really, why do people do this. I have heard of others saying the same thing. Birds flying and a feather cop pulls in to check them? So a guy gets one or two shots a year to get out goose hunting maybe and that was pulled? Man I would have been choked. I would have been spitting and screaming.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
No he wasnt within his rights in that case. I would of quickly let him know my displeasure, get his officer number and filed a complaint in front of him for interfering with a legal hunt in progress.

Most fish cops are polite enough to watch at a distance until you are done your shoot
Sorry but you're mistaken. Game wardens can enter onto property to inspect hunters for compliance. When birds are swarming in is not a good time though. However, these officers are doing their job which is to help legal anglers and hunters by ensuring compliance of resource based laws. Be happy that they're there!
Old 01-01-2015, 12:52 AM

Poor use of a truck. A truck is not a hunting blind.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:45 AM

For those that have been around long enough you'll remember when all the federal gun laws changed including the definition of a loaded firearm. Alberta's wildlife act definition also had to change as it contradicted the federal definition. Again you "old timers" will remember that's when all the rifle manufacturers started making detachable magazines. Then you could easily comply and still jump out of the mobile blind and get a shot at something.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
For those that have been around long enough you'll remember when all the federal gun laws changed including the definition of a loaded firearm. Alberta's wildlife act definition also had to change as it contradicted the federal definition. Again you "old timers" will remember that's when all the rifle manufacturers started making detachable magazines. Then you could easily comply and still jump out of the mobile blind and get a shot at something.
Unfortunately I am old enough to remember this.. I think ...Lol
Old 01-01-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
It wasn't that long ago.
At least not in my mind. Lol
I stated this in post #9. Still trying to find that set of regs. I found it about a month ago when I was looking for something else (as usual). Now that I need it, can't find it.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Again you "old timers" will remember that's when all the rifle manufacturers started making detachable magazines.
Really? The American and Foreign firearms manufacturers started making detachable magazines because Alberta changed its Wildlife Act? To even suggest that such changes to firearms were made as a result of Canadian laws is ludicrous. But to break it down even further and say they were done because of Alberta's Wildlife Act is, I don't know...maybe laughable!
Old 01-02-2015, 07:14 PM

Gator I can't say its because canada changed it's definition, but if you've been around a while you will agree that's when we saw detachable magazines become very popular. Maybe similar laws changed elsewhere, but other than the 303 brit I was carrying, Model 99 savage and the BLR and BAR, there weren't detachable mags around, just saying.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Gator I can't say its because canada changed it's definition, but if you've been around a while you will agree that's when we saw detachable magazines become very popular. Maybe similar laws changed elsewhere, but other than the 303 brit I was carrying, Model 99 savage and the BLR and BAR, there weren't detachable mags around, just saying.
Theres been mags around for longer than that. Rem 7400 and 7600 spring to mind.

Up here we can keep the mag in, just not have a round in the chamber. Much more civilised.