Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-22-2014, 09:03 PM

Default post your stuff 2014

Im thinking that a bad batch of cabin fever settin in early this with some of the posts here lately.

Anyway... heres my last day wt. I set out walkin as the temps were uhhh ...bitter. stopping to glass and listen as i strolled. Sound seems to be amplified in the cold and truly verified by the last day road warriors idling by but also a nearby twig snap! Focusing across the valley some 150yds i noticed a doe movin thru the alders followed closely by a wide lookin buck. I settled on the thinnest section of brush and waited on the buck to appear in the scope. He held up just his head showing and I waited[glove off] Bush deer obviously make a living by movin slow and he did so. My eyes started to wander to the next opening on the does trail when I glanced back, his butt was all i could see. I put my glove on again and juggled the hotshot inside to my number one finger. The doe took off into the bottom drainage, likely a swirling breeze , but he stood his ground to access. FINALY he marched down hill and I readied myself for the shot. Appox 120 yds he held up and I squeezed it off. Well thats a clear miss. He lurched to lengths ahead and held his head high in the confusion as sent the second round his way. This time connecting.
I encourage all new/ old members here to post a pic on this thread or start a new one. Its wonderful to see what Alberta produces and hear the story as well, it may be the only cure for cabin fever...HH chain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014wt.jpg (50.8 KB, 983 views)
File Type: jpg 2014.jpg (61.9 KB, 770 views)
Old 12-22-2014, 09:05 PM

Stud!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:25 PM
Banned

really nice buck man !
Old 12-22-2014, 09:28 PM

Nice deer. Are both antler tips broke off? In the first pic the left side looks broke off and in the second pic the right side appears broke. But not both in either pic. Weird.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:41 PM

Beauty deer!! Wish i would have found one like that, congrats!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:52 PM

Default My 2014

Well, here is my 2014 season....not all from Alberta, but 2014 was a great year none the less.

Started out with a grizzly hunt in BC in spring....no grizz worth shooting, but got a nice black bear as a consilation prize

When down to see a friend who lives in California, and did some free range hog hunting there, it was a blast. We killed a ton of hogs, but this one was my best.

The meat pole and the group of us who were out

Started out the season at home with this elk

Managed to arrow this moose with my 5yr old son at my side....called him in nice and close. Left him overnight after the shot, thats why he looks in rough shape.

Finally, connected with this muley mid-nov after alot time spent trying to find a good one

No whitey for me this year....just didnt find the right one.

Keep the pics coming guys, this is the best we got in the off season!!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Gone Hunting

What a dandy B good for you man! This aint gonna cure the fever but I give ya points for tryin. I will jump in an play too man
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wes Mule deer 2014 016 primary field photo resize.jpg (76.0 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg wes camera 2014 hunting 074 11.jpg (106.1 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg wes camera 2014 whitetail 2.jpg (82.2 KB, 567 views)

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-22-2014, 10:12 PM

Took two this year for the freezer, and a pile of birds.
The shotgunning was good for the sharptails and pheasants, didn't take any Huns however.
Cat

Old 12-22-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger14 View Post
Nice deer. Are both antler tips broke off? In the first pic the left side looks broke off and in the second pic the right side appears broke. But not both in either pic. Weird.
no the tips are good I see what your talking about in the pic thou, hth chain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wt1.jpg (90.9 KB, 585 views)
Old 12-22-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
What a dandy B good for you man! This aint gonna cure the fever but I give ya points for tryin. I will jump in an play too man
Careful there Pack. That first picture you are almost smiling! Kidding of course.

Great season. Loved your other write up about the moose.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:31 PM

Mine aren't all from Alberta either. Not even North America so I hope too many folks don't get too upset with that fact but I didn't a lot of hunting here at home due to my building an addition on my MIL's place.

First critter to be taken was a Mountain Reedbuck.

The second of the trip was this guy

This was the animal that I really wanted to chase the most this trip. My hunting partner and I have the scars to show they live in some very nasty terrain.

On the previous days we had a herd of these folks going to water in the same spot. We made a play on them on day 4.

A couple days of good hunting but no trophies and a change of venue brought this fella.

Next morning this stud showed up.

The final day was a twofor. The last few minutes of the day yielded these 2 beauties.

The opening day duck shoot was a snow storm Still got into a 4 man limit of quackers. No pictures of that for some reason but a few days later we got into this plowed field.

A couple more pictures on my phone of birds and a deer. In a minute I will try and edit this to ad from it.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:48 PM

Hey Cowtown, they're dead critters and you killed 'em- that's very fine by me!
Hunting is hunting IMO, be it in Canada, the State, or overseas!
Cat
Old 12-22-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain2 View Post
Im thinking that a bad batch of cabin fever settin in early this with some of the posts here lately.

Anyway... heres my last day wt. I set out walkin as the temps were uhhh ...bitter. stopping to glass and listen as i strolled. Sound seems to be amplified in the cold and truly verified by the last day road warriors idling by but also a nearby twig snap! Focusing across the valley some 150yds i noticed a doe movin thru the alders followed closely by a wide lookin buck. I settled on the thinnest section of brush and waited on the buck to appear in the scope. He held up just his head showing and I waited[glove off] Bush deer obviously make a living by movin slow and he did so. My eyes started to wander to the next opening on the does trail when I glanced back, his butt was all i could see. I put my glove on again and juggled the hotshot inside to my number one finger. The doe took off into the bottom drainage, likely a swirling breeze , but he stood his ground to access. FINALY he marched down hill and I readied myself for the shot. Appox 120 yds he held up and I squeezed it off. Well thats a clear miss. He lurched to lengths ahead and held his head high in the confusion as sent the second round his way. This time connecting.
I encourage all new/ old members here to post a pic on this thread or start a new one. Its wonderful to see what Alberta produces and hear the story as well, it may be the only cure for cabin fever...HH chain
Thats a beauty,very nice buck!
Old 12-23-2014, 12:11 AM

Pretty slow year for us but we did manage to get buddy a banded Speck, opening weekend!!

Old 12-23-2014, 06:50 AM

Nice buck Brian

Good job on a good buck

Thanks for posting.

I was wondering how you did

B
Old 12-23-2014, 07:39 AM

It was a great start to the season this year! My uncle comes out every year for two weeks of chasing mules and we ended up having an amazing two weeks. First up was my uncle and the second day in we spotted this guy with two other bucks. A phone call for permission and we were after him. We stalked into 20yrds and my uncle put an arrow through him!
Next we found ourselves finding a buck in a wheat field and decided to check him out. I stalked in to 30 yrds and decided he wasn't for me so my dad stalked into 30 yrds and put a shot on this buck and that led to the second buck on the ground
My brother in law decided to take on bow hunting this year! We got him fine tuned with his bow and away we went. My bro in law only had a couple days to hunt so we were scouting hard. We didn't find anything bigger than a fork horn for a couple days so on the last day we went to a spot we had been seeing some deer and boom there's a buck and a few does. We put a five hour stalk on this guy got into 20yrds and my bro in law dropped him! First big game kill and first bow stalk ever!
Now it was time for me to find a buck.. I was looking for a particular deer I've watched for a couple years now and he was a no show.. Doing some scouting we happened to come across two deer feeding in a canola field. We watched them go down into a small coulee so away I went to check them out. 3 hours later I found myself 15 yrds from them.. This guy had my real excited so I let an arrow fly!

Two weeks and all four of us were tagged out for bow season!! Fast forward to rifle season and I decided to continue helping my family gettin their first animals! A friend of mine made it out for one day and we found him a little guys to take down (he didn't want to be in the pic)
My sister being the most excited and into hunting season came out with me every chance she could! We had a few stalks that got messed up and a few sits that didn't produce so she was ready for a spiker! We found a little 3pt and the stalk was on! We made it to 200 yrds he spotted us so she prepped herself and put a great shot on this guy!
It's been the best season I've had soo far!!! I never tagged out in rifle season but I was happy with all the success!!
Old 12-23-2014, 07:54 AM

2014 was a great year. In many ways but a huge challenge in other ways..,

I had 2 great whitetails located in July and August but the went AWOL come hunting season

The first Saturday of bow season found me in a new stand strategically located along a big valley at the intersection of 2 large trails used daily by a number of elk.

The wind was perfectly in my face when I walked the 1/2 mile in darkness to my stand. At 8 am I cow called and shortly after heard a twig snap. The bull was making his way towards me at turned broad side at a mere 18 yards. I sent my arrow and watched him expire 45 yards from my stand..

Fast forward to September 19. A lifetime of waiting for the opportunity to hunt caribou was finally over .

I spent a week in northern Manitoba 1.5 km south of the Nunavut border and managed to get 2 bulls .. Not big caribou by any stretch but the experience of my hunting lifetime. The tundra was awesome with its amazing fall colours and harsh beauty. Not lots of caribou around , but enough to make several stocks and get a taste for hunting the tundra..

Spent 14 days waiting for a big whitetail but it was not in the cards

Great year none the less

Can only add 1 pic at a time
Elk first
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.6 KB, 284 views)
Old 12-23-2014, 07:55 AM

Default Great pics

This is a great thread.
Here is my year it was a special year. My Wife and Daughter (12) were both able to take the Hunter education and get there Hunting licenses for the first time. My wife got her first deer a great WT doe , My Daughter was able to get her first WT doe and a nice WT Buck. I was able to get a opening Day Archery WT with my Daughter and a Big cow moose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10417555_10152464160741034_4144886701209667042_n.jpg (44.6 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg Lexies first Buck.jpg (91.4 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg Kars first deer.jpg (35.4 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg 2014 Archery moose.jpg (58.6 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg Devons 2014 wt.jpg (41.4 KB, 327 views)
Old 12-23-2014, 07:56 AM

Default 2014 Season

Great job everyone! Here is my 2014 Season. Keep them coming
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1 (6).jpg (53.6 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2 (6).jpg (105.8 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3 (5).jpg (144.6 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg photo (8).jpg (51.1 KB, 310 views)
Old 12-23-2014, 07:59 AM

Default Caribou

Caribou next
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.1 KB, 173 views)
Old 12-23-2014, 08:00 AM

Pics from this year, great season with lots of variety.

LC
Old 12-23-2014, 08:37 AM

Old 12-23-2014, 09:01 AM

Didn't pull the trigger many times in '14 but got out lots and the boys came along lots. Many great hunts to come!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:10 AM

Default Spy's 2014

Old 12-23-2014, 10:56 AM

Filled the freezer. Nothing outstanding.

Both taken Nov in the Lodgepole area.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:36 PM

Old 12-23-2014, 12:45 PM

Old 12-23-2014, 12:49 PM

I didn't do much hunting this year but here was one hunt I did that made it well worth skipping out on North American hunting

Old 12-23-2014, 03:13 PM

Love these threads.
Meat buck.
Meat doe.
Meat cow.
Was able to spend tons of days in the field, very good year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.9 KB, 253 views)
Old 12-23-2014, 09:42 PM

I am happy with my season
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.0 KB, 344 views)