Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-03-2015, 09:58 AM

Default A HA moment

Going out for a late season elk today and In the -30 weather we have today gutting is a chore im not looking forward to...in my hunting pack I carry latex gloves for gutting however they dont keep your arms clean or dry...then the thought came to me about shoulder length vet gloves ( used for pregnancy testing in cattle) these gloves go all the way up to your shoulder and are big enough to go over watson leather gloves and the sleeve part will easily go over a coat sleeve. A quick call to a place in town and we are set. I cant believe its taken me this long to come up with this idea..I think they will become a permanent addition to the pack. Anyone else ever use these?
Old 01-03-2015, 10:02 AM

They work like a dream after loosing feeling in my fingers once I never made the mistake again!
Old 01-03-2015, 10:21 AM

Been using them for years, work great, if it's cold I'll wear polypropylene glove liners under the shoulder gloves then cover over all with a xL latex glove. Form fitted, warm, and clean.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:21 AM

Yep been using them for years, I must admit that the first time I seen someone useing them I thought what a idiot, I since have changed my mind and have used them since.

Jim...
Old 01-03-2015, 10:38 AM

Like I said ive been hunting for years and never even though of it before...kinda feel like a shmuck for not thinking of it sooner even in warm weather keeping my sleeves clean would be worth it
Old 01-03-2015, 10:49 AM

Sounds like a great idea to keep warm. I just may try it.

Do guys really get blood up their arms? I may once in a while get it 2" or so up my wrists but that is it.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Sounds like a great idea to keep warm. I just may try it.

Do guys really get blood up their arms? I may once in a while get it 2" or so up my wrists but that is it.
Being a part-time taxidermist I keep all my capes, so no cutting all the way to the throat so ya I'm up to my shoulders lots of times.. Lol..
Old 01-03-2015, 10:57 AM

When gutting elk and moose its tough not to get it on your arms. Deer and be done easily without getting covered in blood though
Old 01-03-2015, 02:33 PM

I had a set of cut resistant rubber gloves from work in my truck last season. I gave them a try when doing up a whitetail buck. I was shocked at the grip I could get on the hide when skinning, I almost just pulled off the hide. The gloves are also cut resistant, the tip may stick through if you stab your hand, but the gloves are very resistant to slicing. You can get them at Acklands for about $15, worth every penny to have clean, nick free hands.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:04 PM

Makes sense with the capes. I do use latex gloves.

I do at least one moose every season and several deer. Unless I am by myself I'm usually pretty clean.

Somehow I have been relegated to the chief gutter of the people I hunt with. Mainly because I am the youngest, but also because I can't stand watching the hack and slash procedure my 2 uncles and dad use. After doing at least 7 or 8 critters a year for 25 years I kinda laugh at how nervous I used to be now.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:22 PM

Wink

I brought a new hunter friend with me this year. I sat him down at my favorite sure thing spot. within an hour I hear his rifle go off. he had harvested his first deer. It was the largest of the three deer that presented to him. He texts me so that I would come to help him. No problem we pull the deer out of the imediate area and I proceed to gut it explaining to him the doos and dont's. two days latter I shoot myself a nice buck so I text him to come help me. First thing i do is advise him that I did his deer so it would only be fair for him to now do mine. The expression on his face was priceless.

We still laugh about it as there was no way he was going to get his hands wet in the warm steaming blood :-) He still earned his keep as he pulled my deer out to the truck about 3/4 km away.

Maybe I will need to get him a pair of those gloves so he can see it coming next hunt!
Old 01-03-2015, 03:28 PM

That's good. Lol

I had a buddy that wanted to learn hunting. I took him out and I shot a doe. We took it to a nearby gravel pit that wasn't in use and sheltered from the wind to gut it.

I had him hold the back legs and I opened it up. He was dry heaving the whole 10 minutes! Perfect lung shot so no bad smell or anything. He was red in the face from heaving for almost an hour. I thought he was going to burst that vein in his forehead it was protruding so far.

So needless to say, he isn't going to hunt...Ever!
Old 01-03-2015, 03:44 PM

Been carrying a pair for years. These things really shine on bigger animals.

Grizz
Old 01-03-2015, 07:23 PM

Default Long field dressing gloves

Would I find these at a UFA?! This seems like a really good idea especially when bullet placement doesnt go as planned!
Old 01-03-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
Would I find these at a UFA?! This seems like a really good idea especially when bullet placement doesnt go as planned!
Any UFA, farm store, vet clinic will have them. Just ask for the calving sleeves or shoulder gloves. There are a few different weight/quality of them, I would suggest the heavier ones as there really is nothing worse than blowing a seam when you're "way up in there"
Old 01-03-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse_men View Post
Any UFA, farm store, vet clinic will have them. Just ask for the calving sleeves or shoulder gloves. There are a few different weight/quality of them, I would suggest the heavier ones as there really is nothing worse than blowing a seam when you're "way up in there"
They got em at basspro as well.
http://t.basspro.com/Hunters-Special...SELL_THUMBNAIL

Love the stories of first timers, my tree hugging BC wife is now full on with helping field dress the critters. The look on her face the first time she watched was priceless.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:28 PM

They sell them at Canadian tire, WWS, and Cabelas. Cheap. They're the greatest. I'm not scared of blood, but really don't dig the thought of getting blood all over my jacket as i will NOT be removing it in -20. Lol.

Used em on my buck last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1470.jpg (37.4 KB, 105 views)
Old 01-04-2015, 07:26 PM

Default field dressing gloves

Funny. Never occurred to me or any of hunting buddies. Tried light rubber gloves. Still got blood everywhere. Could have used them on that monster cow moose back in saddle hills. Dressed 835lbs. Took 5 of us to load her in truck. I was covered in blood from head to foot. Hiked out to muddy road in downpour. Oilfield service truck appeared out off gloom, pushed door open., said hop in. He took one look at me and took off leaving me side of road.
When Dad appeared 20 minutes later, said" how many did you shoot?? Now I do gutless dressing. Whole lot cleaner. Great idea those gloves.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:03 PM

x2 on the gutless corky51 ...........and way easier to load up after. What ever works though and I think the gloves are great if you choose to gut.