Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-03-2015, 10:27 PM

Default Goose calling

I might be the worst goose caller in Canada, even though we have great success it is because we do not call at all and just flag, a couple guys i get to hunt with can call and call good, it a pleasure to watch them turn birds and lock up..my New years resolution as I told the wife lolllolll was to be a decent goose caller, I have tried other calling training from RTN but I went this way,Hell I got some Xmas cash... ordered Conquer the call goose and a Foiles redemption goose call, because of ease of back pressure,,,what have you tried and learned on..

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 01-03-2015, 11:39 PM

Im trying to learn also....what the heck does back pressure mean anyway?
Old 01-03-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Im trying to learn also....what the heck does back pressure mean anyway?
Back pressure is the resistance that I put on the air as it flows through the call. Back pressure by definition is the resistance given to a flow in a confined spaced. That is exactly what you are doing with your on hand.(short reed). Your giving the air either more or less resistance based on your on hand positioning. An easy example Is a garden hose with water coming out. With your hand completely off it comes out slow, when you cover half the hole with your thumb, you are creating resistance which In turn puts "back pressure" into the hose line

Old 01-04-2015, 12:34 AM
Banned

I have used a few, easiest with the deepest sound I have is a GK, delrin Giant Slayer. Higher tone and most air required is an acrylic Lynch Mob call, Law maker, also have a delrin Lynch Mob Reaper. The only wood call I have is a Walnut Original by Winglock.

All calls have a bit of a different sound, and you can tune them to change the tones a little. I have found the more you use the call the easier it gets to blow, as the guts become "broke in". You can now buy calls with (BIG's) Broke in Guts, or buy the Big's to replace the ones in a call you have already.

Overall best sound, ease of use, and durability in my experience has been a delrin call.

Lots of good callers on youtube, one of the best and has the easiest instruction to follow IMO is Trevor Shannahan. I have a couple of DVD's, one by George Lynch and the other by Scott Threinen (Bad Grammar) which are good, but I still like Shannahan the best.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:57 AM

I feel the best way to learn to call Geese, is to listen to Geese and try to sound like them, instead of some guy at a calling competition. Just practice and have fun!

For instance, what do the Geese sound like when they're flying? Don't sound like you're flying as they are. Make them interested in checking out your spread, instead. Pay attention to the sounds the animals use to tell each other things in various scenarios so you can use whatever call(s) you've got to sound as close to that as possible. Paying attention to this is how one learns to use the correct sound for any situation that may present itself.

Avoiding over calling is huge when starting out! Just a little here and there, mix it in with your flags a touch. It all comes together eventually!

Old 01-04-2015, 08:18 AM

We really like the bad grammar DVDs and CDs. My call is a half breed by Tim Grounds. It's an older call but I like it. I also use a big river flute which I play very well. It's easy to blow but it takes more air and you can't be as versatile. It's a great call to use to easily make goosey sounds. I usually carry one for non callers to use if they want to play around.

I would definitely get the bad grammar DVD and any short reed you would like to try to start. The flute might be something you get just to play around with.

I find with the short reed explosion many times they respond better to the flutes lower sound. Especially singles.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:53 AM

I use the Lynch Mob calls. I like them and they sound pretty good.

I kept the calls in my truck while learning. Red light? Honk, cluck, purr for a minute or two. The wife really like this idea also. After driving and practicing for a few months it was easy. Just remember to learn a best you can with one hand instead of 2. You need the other hand for flagging, working a Mojo remote, holding the blind lid closed while rolling around watching the geese and at the end, to have the gun in your free hand ready to sit up and flick the safety off. Back pressure can be created with one hand. You lose a little tone but it does work.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:40 AM

Smile I learned in a park

I wanted to get better too, so in the summer I took my "Faulk's honker 100" to a park where there were lots of geese and began to practice. It took a while but I've got pretty good.

I recommend practicing on real birds.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:30 AM

Great thread. thanks for the explanation.
I thought i was the only one who practiced while driving, lol. Ive gotten some strange looks thats for sure. I wonder if a goose call will get a guy a distracted driving charge? maybe i should market a hands free goose call for practicing while driving.
Good idea about practicing on live geese, there sure are plenty around.

Do any of you guys practice calling with decoy spreads in the summer?

My goose calling got a lot better last year, but my duck calling is so bad i dont call at all, the decoys did just fine in silent mode this past season.

When i was a kid i thought i was ok on the calls, but now i realize ive got a long way to go.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
ordered Conquer the call goose and a Foiles redemption goose call,
I wouldn't care if they were the best call made, I wouldn't buy any Foiles product. Foiles is a convicted poacher, and I won't willingly give him any of my money.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I wouldn't care if they were the best call made, I wouldn't buy any Foiles product. Foiles is a convicted poacher, and I won't willingly give him any of my money.
He is paying for his screw ups, he had it all,,,..back to the thread

Old 01-04-2015, 12:00 PM

Go to the park is a good idea!

Also go with other experienced guys.

There's a time to call... And a time to just shut up.

You need to learn not just how, but when.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-04-2015, 01:35 PM

Default Field proven calls

I like these calls work good if a guys knows how to blow them u can check them out on utube . He goes though the step by step program. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2015, 02:11 PM

Default spent some time with a goose calling champion

At a carving competition in Maryland. Cant remember if he was from Michigan or Ohio state but he had won numerous times and when I asked him for any calling tips he mentioned most people listening to a flock of geese on ground figure they are pleading calling to the flying geese to come down and land with them. he said in actual fact they are often giving a very unfriendly warning "go away, get lost, this feed field is ours, go find your own".
Old 01-04-2015, 02:54 PM

^^^ this is a good thread, lots of good help...i too am not the greatest, but i still try.
i too visit parks, but i did so late in the season when the water was starting to freeze up ( mid november here in lethbridge) listeneing to both geese and ducks feeding, and calling back and forth.

a call i have found useful is the lohmans gold series call. for 10$ at canadian tire it has served me well! easy to use for beginers such as myself. a good low "grunt" if you will , but seemed to work well this year!! called in more than our share of birds!!