Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2018, 09:58 AM

Default All Folding Knives being seized by CBSA

Hi Folks,

Please read the information below and act upon it as this is paramount to our rights as Canadian citizens:

THE PROBLEM? – In early January the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT) upheld a CBSA seizure ruling against a manual opening “flipper” style knife. In this ruling they also mandated to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) that they consider the following knives prohibited for import (classified as prohibited weapons): “ a. a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and b. it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.” According to multiple seizures by CBSA on multiple brands, they have deemed this to be practically any folding knife. See - https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...18-01-eng.html.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? – CBSA takes their direction from the CITT. Because the CITT has interpreted the criminal code erroneously, almost all folding knives are at risk of getting into the country – ALL BRANDS ARE IMPACTED. The Canadian Criminal Code does make mention of knives that cannot be imported (Automatics and butterfly knives – See section 84(1) of the Canadian Criminal Code) http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...9.html#docCont , but anyone we have spoken with (other brands, dealers, MP’s) believe that they never intended to classify folding blades. It is believed this is a bad misinterpretation of the Criminal Code legislation, resulting in poor regulatory change. As a result, any knife shipment coming into Canada that gets inspected by CBSA will be seized and not allowed into Canada, even though there is no issue with buying, selling or owning these type of tools.

WHO IS IMPACTED? – Anyone who wants or needs to purchase a folding knife for work (fisherman, hunters, EMT’s, ERT’s, Fireman, Police), as a daily tool (farmers, ranchers, forestry, retailers, warehouse personnel, or any industry where folding knives are used as tools). The knife industry, which includes manufacturers, distributors, retailers and end users is not only impacted by the ownership and use, but by the millions of dollars that go into the economy for the purchase of these every day tools, are at risk.

WHAT CAN I DO?
• Write, call or email your MP. Because this is a “regulatory change” (not a legislative one), MP’s can put pressure on the appropriate minister(s) to potentially have this change reversed.
• Sign, and have your customers, family and all folding knife users, also sign the HoC sponsored petition online that Edmonton South MP Matt Jeneroux has established – time is of the essence. Petition is located here -

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/P...etition=e-1552

Thanks so much for your time, I hope you have a fantastic May Long Weekend!
Old 05-18-2018, 10:21 AM

Coming to a messed up society near you. The CBSA is doing only as they are possibly being told.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Check out the ban on locking blade knives.

It is proving that gun control does nothing to stop a person trying to kill another if they have their minds set on it.

RJ
Old 05-18-2018, 10:33 AM

On the other hand, this sounds a little more clear cut than our rules.

https://www.gov.uk/reasonable-force-against-intruders

Grizz
Old 05-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Banned

They ( CBSA ) do nothing to prevent tens if thousands of undesirables jumping the International Border Illegally every Year,,,

But they (CBSA) can prevent pocket knives from entering Canada,,, WooHoo

What perfect example of UNEMPLOYABLE persons with positions of UNEARNED Authorty encouraged to do NOTHING by the Government ( TurdO ) that administers them ,

Welcome to Canada, Our leader is an Idiot !
Old 05-18-2018, 10:44 AM

Next they will ban all forks longer than 5 inches
Old 05-18-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
They ( CBSA ) do nothing to prevent tens if thousands of undesirables jumping the International Border Illegally every Year,,,

What perfect example of UNEMPLOYABLE persons with positions of UNEARNED Authorty encouraged to do NOTHING by the Government ( TurdO ) that administers them ,

Remember to THANK all the Liberal voting members on AO for their support .
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:23 PM

Signed
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-18-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Signed
Thanks very much! Every signature helps at this point!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post

Spoken like a true uneducated, misinformed, ignoramus!
Okay, okay....I'll give you the TurdO part.

Before spewing off your rhetoric, do some homework!