Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-27-2017, 07:33 AM

Default Modern design Marlin 30 30 question...

Modern design Marlin 30 30 question...

The 336 XLR Lever Action Rifle is designed to take full advantage of the ballistic improvements gained with Hornady’s LEVERevolution ammunition.
Features 24-inch stainless steel barrel,
Hornady's LEVERevolution Lever Action ammunition should be used with this firearm.

The paragraph above came from a retailer, and I suspect was written by Marlin.

Can anybody explain the last statement re only LEVERevolution ammo???
Why?

With the factory trigger the 30 30 marlin has always been a great compact bush gun
Can any one back up their design using a 24" barrel???
Old 10-27-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4570 View Post
Modern design Marlin 30 30 question...

The 336 XLR Lever Action Rifle is designed to take full advantage of the ballistic improvements gained with Hornady’s LEVERevolution ammunition.
Features 24-inch stainless steel barrel,
Hornady's LEVERevolution Lever Action ammunition should be used with this firearm.

The paragraph above came from a retailer, and I suspect was written by Marlin.

Can anybody explain the last statement re only LEVERevolution ammo???
Why?

With the factory trigger the 30 30 marlin has always been a great compact bush gun
Can any one back up their design using a 24" barrel???

The combination of the longer pipe and the higher ballistic coefficient the Hornady leverlution adds, increases velocity greatly. There really is no point in shooting the round nose or flat points through a 24" barrel. You wont gain much more velocity or downrange energy. The longer barrel combined with those pointy gummy bear bullets get you up there veolocity wise. Where the Win 94 and Marlin 336 with tube magazines never really were able to in the past due to not being able to load pointed ammo in them with out fear of detonation in the tube...

Last edited by 1899b; 10-27-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:11 AM
Banned

I've read somewhere that XLR comes with a 1:12 twist instead of 1:10 like the 20" barreled guns. This is apparently done to stabilize pointed leverevolution ammo and give more speed with a 24" pipe. It still shoots 4" groups with open sights which seems to be worse than my 1975 336 30-30 with federal blue box ammo.

I have not shot new model XLR but did research it as I would like to get one in the future.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
I've read somewhere that XLR comes with a 1:12 twist instead of 1:10 like the 20" barreled guns. This is apparently done to stabilize pointed leverevolution ammo and give more speed with a 24" pipe. It still shoots 4" groups with open sights which seems to be worse than my 1975 336 30-30 with federal blue box ammo.

I have not shot new model XLR but did research it as I would like to get one in the future.
I have played with and chronied the gummy bear bullets in my Win 94's and Marlin 336's Was never impressed with them. I now stick with my Savage 99 in .308 Win for a nice handy levergun with a bit more reach than most leverguns.