Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-25-2017, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Texas Heart shots got a "wow"
shoot em in the hip, they won't go far without a hip. assuming your rifle holds more than one cartridge you'll be ok
Old 10-25-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Of course you are right. I'm poking some fun in your direction. You didn't advocate doing both at the same time, but you advocated both separately. And if you want to know my thoughts on both, my first post expressed it pretty well.

Texas Heart shots got a "wow"
1000 yard 30-06 shots got a "some can... YMMV".
Please oh please point out my advocation of 1000 yard shots.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-25-2017, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
We are not talking about hitting or missing. We are talking about it’s ability to kill. If you can’t hit the target you won’t kill anything. If you can the 30-06 will certainly do the job.
right there. you said that if you can hit your target the 30-06 will certainly do the job
Old 10-25-2017, 03:35 PM

The farthest I have shot an elk is 400 yards with the 06. I was using 180 grain core lokt. It cleanly harvested animal but bullet did fragment 100% and I could not locate the pieces. If I was doing it again I would use a round with better weight retention like the partition or accubond. I have read many positive reviews about the Barnes copper rounds, but the quality control I have seen first hand has been less than stellar for $60 a box and would not recommend unless you hand load. For shots at 600 yards plus you really need to consider the expansion ability of the round and the velocity when the round impacts at range. The website Terminal Ballistics Research has some great info about this for each caliber based on actual field testing.

Overall I would not advocate any hunting shot is taken beyond 500 yards to cleanly harvest an animal. Especially something the size of a mature moose. Most people I know struggle to shoot at anything beyond 200 yards on range conditions, and even fewer have even shot at a target beyond 300 yards.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
right there. you said that if you can hit your target the 30-06 will certainly do the job
Nice try.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-25-2017, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nice try.
if you click on the little arrow it will take you to your post if for some reason you don't believe me
Old 10-25-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
if you click on the little arrow it will take you to your post if for some reason you don't believe me
IF YOU CAN!!!!!!

Does that help?

-Billy Molls
Old 10-25-2017, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
IF YOU CAN!!!!!!

Does that help?
Quote:
ya that's what i said...
Old 10-25-2017, 04:38 PM

This is a good read, kinda puts a bit of light on what difference loads from a 30/06 is capable of...
http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...__utmk=8279858

Not written stone since there is alway variables to each harvest,,, but its pretty close.

I used this Web sight when I choosing a plinking, Harvesting and iron silhouette rifle.
The old 30/06 cartrage is not the best, """but""" it's no slouch either.

Personal preference on what each person chooses to do with their firearm, don't we all want to find the cartrage that best suits our needs.

Don
Old 10-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
688 yards cow Elk 243 winch...Why not 30-06 ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18
And then there’s always this guy that shows up
Old 10-25-2017, 05:34 PM

Some good sniper video games are available to scratch that itch.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-25-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
And then there’s always this guy that shows up
He's not near as bad as the Dozey Creep that encouraged that .243 shot and was idiot enough to put it up on YT. He must want to be another New Age idol.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:57 PM
Banned

Gonna guess that it's easier to shoot 1000 yards then it is to walk closer.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Gonna guess that it's easier to shoot 1000 yards then it is to walk closer.

.... now Trending
Old 10-25-2017, 08:19 PM

This is a good read, kinda puts a bit of light on what difference loads from a 30/06 is capable of...
http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...__utmk=8279858

I did use this info before and find it the most complete study research that has ever been done in one single thread.
According to these guys Hornady's A max's 178 and especially 208 gr have sufficient velocity to expand at 1000 yards at 30-06 velocities and a bit more then that
I have not done it myself and probably will never do , but the reality is, that
there are projectiles that will expand an not pencil through at those distances from 30-06
Thanks for bringing it Don
Old 10-25-2017, 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=Dick284;3651762]Grow up and put your trigger time in.

1 k with even the best bullets out there and you'll have expansion issues. Maybe use a match bullet, but well you know what'll happen sometimes there.

Don't equate broadheads with bullets they utilize a different means of creating trauma.(cut vs tear and push) energy is a bit of an awkward defence in these cases, terminal ballistics and design criteria will trump good old ftlbs every day.

I would kindly disagree with you on both of your statements

1. There are bullets that will expand at those ranges , so we are not talking about match but hunting bullets.
2. I personally use 7/8 Wasp Bullets broadheads for all my hunting in Alberta and can not see expanded .308 x2 size bullet any less efficient then the broadhead mentioned above if it punches through both lungs of an animal

It can be done, and I'm sure it has been done, is there better tools or even techniques, you damn sure better believe there are.

I believe that there are better choices , but the reality shows, that well selected .308 bullet out of 30-06 placed in the right spot at those distances that were mentioned will kill big animal like elk no questions asked and you have to agree on that one.

Last edited by shooter12; 10-25-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A broadhead kills by cutting a wound channel, and a razor sharp edge doesn't require much energy to cut hide or flesh. On the other hand, it takes a great deal of energy to drive a bullet through hide and flesh. As well, the size of the wound channel that a bullet creates depends on the expansion of the bullet, so if the bullet only has 1200fps remaining at 1000 yards, and that bullet requires 1600fps to expand properly, it may just leave a very tiny wound channel, and the elk may travel a very long ways before it bleeds out. So even a perfectly placed shot, may not provide a quick, clean kill.
Shooting a pheasant with a shot gun will provide a clean kill, at least the bird goes down , so we think it is a clean kill, but it might take a time for the bird to expire elkhunter11.
The definition of clean kill is quite disputable the way I see it .
Arrow or bullet through the lungs will result in a very clean humane kill .
But even then the animal might run for quite a bit .
The longest I've seen was WT hit with 300 wsm with 165 gr barnes TSX shot at 180 yards through both lungs run almost 200 yards .
That was quite a distance considering premium ammunition and powerful round to be used and still a very long run...
The last elk I shot with an arrow run only 40 yards .
So which one is more humane ?

Last edited by shooter12; 10-25-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
Shooting a pheasant with a shot gun will provide a clean kill, at least the bird goes down , so we think it is a clean kill, but it might take a time for the bird to expire elkhunter11.
The definition of clean kill is quite disputable the way I see it .
Arrow or bullet through the lungs will result in a very clean humane kill .
But even then the animal might run for quite a bit .
The longest I've seen was WT hit with 300 wsm with 165 gr barnes TSX shot at 180 yards through both lungs run almost 200 yards .
That was quite a distance considering premium ammunition and powerful round to be used and still a very long run...
When I shoot a pheasant with a shotgun, my dog has it in seconds, and it is dead in seconds, if it wasn't already dead when it hit the ground. If the elk is 1000 yards away when the shot is fired, the terrain could result in it taking a half hour to an hour, just to get to the location where the elk was standing, so even if the elk was not capable of running off, it could end up suffering for a long time before someone get's to it to end the suffering. And once shot, a second shot may not be possible, if it falls or rolls behind cover. And if the elk does run off, and the bullet does not expand properly because of inadequate velocity, it could take an hour, or even hours for that elk to bleed out with only a pencil sized hole in the lungs.
Yes an animal can run 100 yards or even 200 yards, even with a perfect lung shot, but it runs that distance in seconds and is dead in seconds.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:15 PM

If you have seen a white rail run over 200 yards hit with a WSM , think about how far an animal the size of an elk can run hit at 700 yards plus with a bad hit .
If you want to take that responsibility in, go ahead.
I won't, but I have already stated that .

Cat
Old 10-25-2017, 09:16 PM
Banned

Default not me

From post#47:
Thank you guys for your replies!
The reason I asked about that question is about 8 years ago I was hunting in Northern Alberta in the late November .
It was - 15 and absolutely no wind evening .Half an hour before sunset the herd of cow elk started to come up from the bushes from the opposite side of the field around 1000-900 away from where I was , moving along the bushes and getting a bit closer .The closest they were was around 850 yards.
15 minutes before the end of legal time 3 very nice bulls come out from the same bushes and started to follow their cows , very slowly ,feeding on their way.
At least one of them was 7X7 trophy class bull, and 2 were at least 6x6.
There was absolutely no way to get any closer in the 10 inches crunchy snow.
I had my 300 wsm with Leupold vx3 that I was very comfortable to put 5 out of 5 in 5 inch circle at 500m . That was done repeatedly at my local shooting club while practicing before the season, and should they be within this range or a bit more I would have pulled the trigger no questions asked.
I also have 3 30-06 that could do the same at the same range in no wind condition.
Now I am thinking to convert one of this 30-06 into a long range rifle , that's why opened this thread.

I am always trying to get as close as possible and killed many animals with the bow so really know my limitation and would not shoot until 100% sure it could be done.

So the question is still remaining!
Who has experience with 30-06 to accomplish such hunt?

not me

From your comment on this post and what has been said in this thread if you wish to use one of your 30.06 find a projectile that can meet the requirements to have terminal performance at 1000 units of measurement.

Information only take for what's it worth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_ballistics
Old 10-25-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
When I shoot a pheasant with a shotgun, my dog has it in seconds, and it is dead in seconds, if it wasn't already dead when it hit the ground. If the elk is 1000 yards away when the shot is fired, the terrain could result in it taking a half hour to an hour, just to get to the location where the elk was standing, so even if the elk was not capable of running off, it could end up suffering for a long time before someone get's to it to end the suffering. And once shot, a second shot may not be possible, if it falls or rolls behind cover. And if the elk does run off, and the bullet does not expand properly because of inadequate velocity, it could take an hour, or even hours for that elk to bleed out with only a pencil sized hole in the lungs.
Absolutely !!, but some just don't get it. They never did and they never will.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Yes an animal can run 100 yards or even 200 yards, even with a perfect lung shot, but it runs that distance in seconds and is dead in seconds.
I had this kind of discussion with a friend from South Africa who was a guide there.
He said that was trying to shoot an animal in the neck.
I was a bit shocked to hear that and carefully asked , why in the neck?
He said they will run and bleed out , so meat will be tastier...lol
Old 10-25-2017, 09:43 PM

Shooter12 this is your quote.

"I am always trying to get as close as possible and killed many animals with the bow so really know my limitation and would not shoot until 100% sure it could be done"

Commendable. Now tell me please .. with your new LR 30-06, just what criteria you would use to be 100 % sure of properly killing any animal at 600 yds .. or even 300 ?
Old 10-25-2017, 10:25 PM

Salavee

We are on 5th page on this thread and you posted 3 posts only in the page 5 , which I believe are not relevant to the thread that I posted.
I hope you will not take it as a disrespect or anything else , but let me tell you that there are some people I am enjoying having conversation with , because they are speaking out of their own experience and sharing their ideas and I do appreciate it .

You are not among them , to say at least ....
Old 10-25-2017, 10:42 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Comparing bullets to arrows is ridiculous, what bullet will kill any animal if it's leaving the pipe at 285fps??? Lol.

I hear you Kurt 505 but still will believe in what I said ..

I know you want to hear someone come right out and tell you that, yes a 30-06 will make a great long range hunting cartridge, but the fact is, it's not.

Sorry man.
Honestly , Yes..
Not making exactly a long range cartridge, but at least been capable of doing that, and as many people have said , 'Yes, it can do it" and " No , nobody did it
Old 10-25-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
Salavee

We are on 5th page on this thread and you posted 3 posts only in the page 5 , which I believe are not relevant to the thread that I posted.
I hope you will not take it as a disrespect or anything else , but let me tell you that there are some people I am enjoying having conversation with , because they are speaking out of their own experience and sharing their ideas and I do appreciate it .

You are not among them , to say at least ....
Re-read my posts #28 and my question - 143(above). I assumed you were looking for opinions .. not a Pen Pal. No disrespect was intended on my part but if you take it that way , so be it. In closing, I truly hope you decide on a different cartridge for your 1000 yd build.

Good Hunting !
Old 10-25-2017, 10:56 PM

I truly hope you decide on a different cartridge for your 1000 yd build.

Good Hunting!

Thanks man!
Old 10-25-2017, 11:01 PM

Shooter12 I have to ask , you posted about shooting at 500 yards but not at 1,000 yards .
Have you actually shot targets at 1,000?
Things start to change drastically the further out you go.
Cat
Old 10-25-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Shooter12 I have to ask , you posted about shooting at 500 yards but not at 1,000 yards .
Have you actually shot targets at 1,000?
Things start to change drastically the further out you go.
Cat
Many years of practicing in our local 500 m club.
Quite a bit of shooting in my friend's property out to whatever distance I wish.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:30 PM

[QUOTE=shooter12;3652140]I had this kind of discussion with a friend from South Africa who was a guide there.
He said that was trying to shoot an animal in the neck.
I was a bit shocked to hear that and carefully asked , why in the neck?
He said they will run and bleed out , so meat will be tastier...lol[/QUO

Please how far are you going to whip this dead horse,go back to S A and discuss your plan with your friend.

CAT is a veteran shooter and has forgot more than guys with plenty of experience ,so he has no reason to BS you and others on here think that this is not a good way to think on taking an animal.

First put yourself as the target and dying quickly or being hurt for days till you dye very slow is very inhumane and unethical ,shows very low experience in being a true outdoorsman.A bad wound can go for weeks till he is to weak and personally I could not sleep on that thought ,if you can sleep like a baby then i hope every CO knows who you are and charge you with endangering wildlife.

I love animals and i like hunting them and eating them,but i practiced to be the best i could be to never harm anything cause my whole life has been around them,i have spent at least 30 solid years of my life by myself just with them in the out doors,not a 2 week hunt ,340 days a year so i give the greatest respect for any animal no matter if it's a world class record book
or a spiker,you don't hurt the things you care about,so think hard on your qwest,an watch out for that dead raven that you carry on your shoulder even though you can't see him.but they can change themselves in many forms even your self ,read about it.Next time you find a dead raven put him on fresh gut pile,nothing will go near it bird or wolf,so what makes the smartest bird in the forest know what you don't.