Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-22-2018, 08:50 AM

Default This is My Gun, This is My Fun

Yuppers, a like minded thread for those that choose to share in some good times in the firearms world.

Family, Friends, and Individuals welcome as we strive to derail this thread before it gets off the ground. Ha

From game harvests around the world to froze stiff on top of a mountain with a gun that's jammed up.

I'll chime in later today as I head to the range, I just hope I remembered to bring my rifle this time. Ha

Go ahead and fire it up gang.
Nothing like get this thread cross threaded and side-ways from the get go.

Good times, funny stories, those that aren't, tears are welcome too.

I heard rumours that us AO folks have alot in common when it comes to the Out-Door stuff, what better way to find out.

Here goes nothing on this Seinfeld Thread of Something about Nothing.

Did I mention that it was about good times gone wrong. Ha
Old 07-22-2018, 09:07 AM

Is it hunting season yet?

There are no absolutes
Old 07-22-2018, 09:13 AM

Soon we hope.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:48 AM

Strange. Very strange.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:22 AM

Beginning to remind me of Jelvis from the BC Hunting forum.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:00 PM
Banned

wow
Old 07-22-2018, 12:44 PM
Banned

I need more dilaudid.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:38 PM

A awesome day spent at our RMH Range. 2 Young friend with 3 rifles, 6.5, with Two 308's. A Dad & his daughter shoot the 22 rimfire, 223, and 308. What a good group of folks.

The one fellow bought a 338 Lapua last year, he really like that gun and cartrage. Accuracy to 1000 meters with lots of critter punch down range. Kinda pricey he said, but well worth its value. His all round favorite at the moment is his 308, Frugal to shoot, easy to set up, and the kids enjoy it to. More so the practical side of things.

Excellent weather, a few challanges battling the ever changing shifting winds, but all of us did pretty good attacking the gongs. I'm running the F rig & my new harvest pipe, another mid weight 30 cal. Fun with Guns to the Max today.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
A awesome day spent at our RMH Range. 2 Young friend with 3 rifles, 6.5, with Two 308's. A Dad & his daughter shoot the 22 rimfire, 223, and 308. What a good group of folks.

The one fellow bought a 338 Lapua last year, he really like that gun and cartrage. Accuracy to 1000 meters with lots of critter punch down range. Kinda pricey he said, but well worth its value. His all round favorite at the moment is his 308, Frugal to shoot, easy to set up, and the kids enjoy it to. More so the practical side of things.

Excellent weather, a few challanges battling the ever changing shifting winds, but all of us did pretty good attacking the gongs. I'm running the F rig & my new harvest pipe, another mid weight 30 cal. Fun with Guns to the Max today.
When you say kids shooting 308, how old and size of the kids are you talking. Was the rifle set up to lessen recoil or just the standard 9 pound scoped, non-muzzle brake, hunting rig.

I ask not to push any buttons on cartridge wars, but because my kids are too young to shoot yet and i am constantly wondering about what age they would be big enough to get behind my 308s.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:58 PM

The girl is 14, just a regular 308 hunting rifle with 150gr bullets. Probilibly a 8 or 9 lb rig with no MB, same for her 223. They take them off when their shooting with groups of people.

Both Her and her Dad shot some nice groups at 100 and 200 meters from the bench.

The nice thing about the RMH Range is the bench seats are adjustable which helps alot
Old 07-22-2018, 03:06 PM

Default gOOD

Its just good that people are getting out and shooting. The more people shooting the better. If we are the majority the antiès will have a harder time restricting our hobby.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:17 PM

Old 07-22-2018, 04:01 PM

Perhaps he misunderstood and thought it was legal to smoke wacky weed in July. Or maybe Captain Morgan came calling. Wow
Old 07-22-2018, 05:10 PM

I don't know Don, but I have come to appreciate him because I believe he is a good soul, he means no harm to anyone, and always seems to try and bring a positive energy to this forum. Sometimes it is bit interesting trying to decipher his posts, but you won't catch me saying anything negative about someone who just seems like a good person.

Shooting is good. Carry on Don, and don't let anyone hinder you. TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-22-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I don't know Don, but I have come to appreciate him because I believe he is a good soul, he means no harm to anyone, and always seems to try and bring a positive energy to this forum. Sometimes it is bit interesting trying to decipher his posts, but you won't catch me saying anything negative about someone who just seems like a good person.

I agree. Less animosity and more comradery.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:14 PM

Yes, it's all about having a good time no matter what category it is. I enjoyed reading the thread that Chuck put up. The part that really stood out was him bringing his kids into this hobby,,, the more that jump on board, the larger we become.

Any how.

I ran into a shooting friend from last year at the RMH Range, he's still running his custom 308 Ruger Precision,,,, He changed up his bullets to the Berger 185 juggernauts,,, his rifle is rocking now.
2018 is showing signs of a new build for him, he did lots of research on the 22/308,,, awesome cartrage, but a friend of his out of the USA talked him out of it.
So the new plan is a 6mm BR. It will be his low recoil target rifle. Iron Silhouettes from 200 to 1000 meters, but mostly at 600 since this is what our range Max's out at.

A little bit cheaper for bullets, and much less kick then his 308 rifle, a lot less then his 300 Mag fore sure. Ha
We repainted the gongs for round 3,,, my little factory 30 wasn't far behind on hits,,, mind you that I haven't done the work over on it yet.

Remington triggers suck. Ha
I turned it all the way down and it's still to heavy. Probilibly 2 lbs as it feels like 8, all I could think of on the squeeze was the word "Boat Anchor."

None the less, the day turned out nice after 2 short rain storms and relentless gusts of wind in every direction, From left to right with heat waves left, deffinatly a learning day watching the flags.
The club is going to fix the 7" irons at 600m, so that only left us the 4" at 500,,,, very challanging getting onto them at first,,, then it was bells ringing from there on in, nothing like the sound of a solid hit. Ha

The next tip out will be with some young folks to burn off some 22 shells, and let them run the big target rifle.

Pretty sure they will be grining from ear to ear.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 07-22-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:30 PM

As long as your enjoying your self that's what count's,if others aren't happy to bad so sad.You go out there and pound away at them targets.

This an open forum to the public who or into outdoor stuff and that's your deal so,ALL the best in your travels where ever they may take you.

JD
Old 07-23-2018, 07:43 AM

Thanks everyone.

The title of the thread is only a small part of the shooting sports world, most of us know that there are endless opertunities out there,,, finding something different only adds more value to it.

This is not saying that everyone is looking to change what they have going on, some times life dosen't allow for this.
Yet other folks including my self like to try different things, general plinking rifle and archery, looking into different shooting sports, and chatting with folks that take on these sports.

Whether it be hunting, plinking at the range, or jumping into one of the many shooting sport that are out there.

Lots of different avenues are out there if this floats the boat,,, " metaphorically speaking that is." Ha

Some of these sports require a particular cartrages and rifles to get the most out of the sport, but sometimes the normal firearm can be used to get started.
It might not be the best, but at least it allows a opertunity to at least try.

Today I'm building a hand full of shooting sticks to give to the RMH Range, the rest I'll share with others when we head out plinking.
Hopefully I have time to find a few taller shooting bench stools for the younger kids to sit on. This will allow them to get into their comfort zone fore sure.

The time has come that I do my part at giving back, little things that could bring more excitment to the up and comers.

All good as I game plan fun times ahead
Old 07-23-2018, 08:12 AM

I’ve read many of your posts Don. I was at the range yesterday with my wife practicing for the upcoming Leffingwell shoot. I just realized it was you who we were shooting the sheeeet with. Glad to have finally met you. We enjoy all your thoughts put into words.
See ya again soon. Let me know next time you’re out there.

If Duce or Jeffery reading this. The wife’s guns are running scary good. 😟
Old 07-23-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Beginning to remind me of Jelvis from the BC Hunting forum.
Oh ya... I see people still respond to Jelvis so not everyone has him on ignore like I do...
Old 07-23-2018, 08:47 AM
Banned

x2, Don fan here, never met him, enjoy his posts, neutrality/open mind/positive. More of that please.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:11 AM

Glad to meet you to Backwoods, the both of you are sporting some fine irons fore sure.
The wood grain stocks look awesome.

A perfect mix of iron and wood, have fun on the shoot down South, looks like you folks will be pushing the limits of the shooters down there.

The RMH Range is deffinatly good times, incredibly people from all walks of life, and every kind of firearm one could only imagine.

I enjoy visiting with Lee the Father of 4, he has a kind hart, good with the kids, and a true stand up role model with everyone in his circle.

Good see Vic again this year as he keeps adding new builds to his list, he probably forgot more about precision shooting then I'll ever know.

Ha. He looks down range as he can plot those winds off the flags like nothing. Guess there are rewards with age.

I'll miss our other dedicated friend Tadd, he moved back East, lots of stories, and a walking encyclopedia on war history from the beginning of time.

Pretty scary stories, of course he'd offer up ideas on the lighter side. Humbling to hear different ideas of long ago.

Off to the shed to build lots of shooting sticks, the rewards for others & my self when we hit the gongs down range by not using the bench or slab.

Ha. kinda like PRS shooting, but at its worst.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:

I like this. Well said....
Old 07-23-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Yuppers, a like minded thread for those that choose to share in some good times in the firearms world.

Family, Friends, and Individuals welcome as we strive to derail this thread before it gets off the ground. Ha

From game harvests around the world to froze stiff on top of a mountain with a gun that's jammed up.

I'll chime in later today as I head to the range, I just hope I remembered to bring my rifle this time. Ha

Go ahead and fire it up gang.
Nothing like get this thread cross threaded and side-ways from the get go.

Good times, funny stories, those that aren't, tears are welcome too.

I heard rumours that us AO folks have alot in common when it comes to the Out-Door stuff, what better way to find out.

Here goes nothing on this Seinfeld Thread of Something about Nothing.

Did I mention that it was about good times gone wrong. Ha
I continued to have fun with my new varmint rifle at the range. Here's a group from yesterday's session...

Not bad for a factory rifle!
Old 07-23-2018, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
I continued to have fun with my new varmint rifle at the range. Here's a group from yesterday's session...

Not bad for a factory rifle!
ooh, and right on that bull too, pretty picture!!
Old 07-23-2018, 05:10 PM

Nice SC, got to love the smell on new iron. Ha.

I'm pretty sure you'll getter dialed in, that is part of the fun fore sure. Those CZ's shoot nice out of the box from what I've heard, and what I see. Thanks for posting this.

My new Remington SPS factory is rocking pretty good with the pressure point barrel, but I must of got a Monday or Friday trigger since its the worst I've ever used. Ha
It will get sorted soon.

So I built 5 frugal shooting sticks out of thick Survey Lath,,, 2 legged.
I drilled 6 adjustment holes so a shooters can use them in the kneeling, or sitting position, I'll make a few stand up units to.
The range has a cement slab floor, so I drilled holes at the bottom so a person can use the lower string to tie off the spread for the closet target,,, then take up the slack to reach the other 5 out to the 600 mark.

Drop the slack and your back to 100 meters, quick and fast.

I'm drafting up 2 simple back boards to lean against for improved shot placement,,, foam padding.
Might as well be comfortable if a person isn't on their feet.
The large gong down range is 21"T x 27"W,,, the others on the left are 16",,,, I hope they put the 7" back up,,, the shooting sticks with back board will better the odds of playing tag.

My friend took a nice Buck last year off his sticks, he didn't have much time to set-up,,, but it was enough to get the cross hairs on target.

These shooting sticks are donated to RMH Range from the Outdoorsmen folks.

$1 each,,, Ha,,, looks like I'm building up some points for the 2018 year,,, the kids and grown ups will definitely put them to good use.

I might as well make some triple lined sand bags, I seen lots of younger kids shooting last year that could of used them. Full time job at helping out where I can.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:13 PM
Banned

Well that was a repost of 6mt Cz 223 pic, my Grendel shoots pretty good so far. Have you tried predator calling Don? You live off shooting sticks, tried a few and built a few. Think I use a Stoney point now, has stood the test of time. Get calling coyotes, they'll test your skills.😉
Old 07-24-2018, 01:24 AM

Quote:

Nicely said.

Good on you Don, I too had been thinking about hunting plans all day today.. i guess its the bipolar weather playing tricks on our minds haha
Old 07-24-2018, 06:36 AM

Yes on Coyotes , and Gophers, we have no shortage of them at the farm, we have a loooooong time friend that takes care of most of them in our nabour hood.

My brothers and I kind of shy'ed away from predator control since its the kids turn to take up the role, we're mostly into simple shooting for fun, big game if the critters allow it, and camping,,, lawn chair time. Ha.

Just thought it would nice to give the self contained shooting skills another go, old school sticks will work I'm sure.
Normally I attach the long Harrison Bypod before hunting season, pretty solid shooting platform off of them.

Just like to try different things in the mix since it might incress the odds at hunting.

I started doing a work over on my frugal 22 rimfire last night, added a few ounces, reset the the action torque screws, and adding a FFP scope to it, it will be the loner unit for the kids and adults when needed.

The pigeon & magpie population needs thinning out, our old time shotgun pal passed on a few years back, we're slowly getting over run.
Won't take long to sort this out before silage season gets underway.

If the shooting sticks show good results down range, I'll look into the trip-pod shooting stand next, a few folks at the range like them more than the 2 legged bypods.

Nothing like starting simple and working up from there.

I'll definitely look into the Stony Point rest fore sure, that might be what my friend used to get his buck last year.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 07-24-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:00 AM

Ye Ha, today is fast track 30/30 lever action day.

170gr round nose bullets flying every where no where.

I'm teamed up with Northern Man as he has this John Wayne jacking down pat, he's pretty good with the old buck-horn sights.

The only thing he struggles with now days is getting off the quad with out doing a face plant. Ha.

We're packing the old rusty bent barrel 22's to fresh'en the riflings, no cleaning required, a fowled up barrle full of lead improves accuracy. This is what he told. LOL

Simple, relaxing, and totally fun going at this red neck life style