Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-07-2018, 06:36 AM

I’ve shot SST’s for years (117 grain) in my .257 Weatherby. They perform exactly as advertised, creating shock and trauma. Stay away from the shoulder. Put one in the boiler room and you will see instant results.
Craig
Old 09-07-2018, 09:56 AM

Default TC Omega w/Nikon Omega scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
That pretty much says it all right there. Tried them in a couple calibers, did not like them much. I do like the SST sabots in my .50 cal muzzle loader though.
I'm getting wicked groups on paper with the 140gr out of my Tikka 6.5 Swede. Have'nt killed anything yet, but have taken plenty Wainwright deer with the 250gr SST from my TC Endeavour. This year I'm using my new to me TC Omega with same SST/Sabot. 3 pellets and I'm shooting bulls-eyes at 100 & 200yds.
(The Hornady 240gr XTP has never let me down either with my muzzleloader)
Old 09-08-2018, 08:50 AM

SST, A Max, Gameking= load development
Interbond, Accubond=dependable hunting bullet
Old 09-09-2018, 10:07 AM

I’ve shot 180gr SST’s in my 300 WSM for quite a few years now and have came to the conclusion that they’ll work fine on most anything, at magnum velocities even, if you stick to shots behind the shoulder. Shoulder shoot a deer and it’ll drop fast but destroy that shoulder and probably the offside shoulder as well. Shoulder shoot a moose and it might not Hold together we’ll enough to make it to the vitals. I’ve shot probably a dozen deer along with an elk, moose and nice sized bear using this bullet from the 300. Bullets don’t hold together great and I’ve recovered them after the cores have completely separated from the jacket, but they kill okay. Also I feel the polymer tips flatten out too much on the rounds in my magazine after one has been fired. I’ll likely be switching to a tougher bullet for this gun when I run out of SST’s but they have done the job okay for quite a few years and come in packs of 100 when you reload them instead of the standard 50pk.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:34 AM

Default Sst

I wonder by some of these comments how many people have killed game with a SST? Or is it just what they read on the internet?

Friend killed a moose under 200 yards with 165gr 30-06, I killed a whitetail under 200 yards with 130gr 270 win. Myself and my kids killed a few mule deer does under 200 yards with 165gr 30-06 all of these were pass throughs. All of these shots were in the ribs and all died in short order. They have been very accurate in almost every rifle I have shot them in.
My 2 cents.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:48 AM

Was thinking the same thing. These bullets kill things dead and I also find it amusing that so many animals are lost using these so called premium bullets.

I shot several deer with these and they worked perfect. One was head on at about 25 yards. The bullet entered just above the brisket and I recovered most of it in the hip. Looked like anyone of a dozen or so Interlock or Core-lokt I have recovered over the years.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:49 PM

Have shot the SST exclusively in my 270WSM. Started with 140 gr which killed my bighorn right there. Switched to 150gr because they grouped better. The heavier bullet dont drop em where they stand but they dont run far. 2 whitetails, 1 mule deer and a bull moose all hit quartering to or away. All hit the ground within 50yds of the shot. Havent found a bullet yet. All pass through but it is a heavy for caliber bullet. Ill keep using them.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:13 PM

Default Re: M695

I have used the 162 gr in 7mm rem mag, found them good, but wouldnt call it superperformance. I prefer the ttsx.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
I wonder by some of these comments how many people have killed game with a SST? Or is it just what they read on the internet?

Friend killed a moose under 200 yards with 165gr 30-06, I killed a whitetail under 200 yards with 130gr 270 win. Myself and my kids killed a few mule deer does under 200 yards with 165gr 30-06 all of these were pass throughs. All of these shots were in the ribs and all died in short order. They have been very accurate in almost every rifle I have shot them in.
My 2 cents.
Not sure if you’re bragging or complaining but congrats,the SST’s performed for you exactly as expected on the deer size game they were designed for at the velocities and shot placement that they shine at.
They still won’t be my choice for elk or moose,there’s much better bullets designed for reaching the vitals on our bigger game that will punch through shoulders and not blow apart.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:14 AM

myself and hunting partner have been using sst 150 gr in my 308 and 180 gr in a 30-06 for the last 3 years
no issues 6 deer from 65-240 yards with major damage or wasted meat

just made some hand loads for my 300 win mag in 180 gr just need to get out and give them a try
Old 09-13-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Not sure if you’re bragging or complaining but congrats,the SST’s performed for you exactly as expected on the deer size game they were designed for at the velocities and shot placement that they shine at.
They still won’t be my choice for elk or moose,there’s much better bullets designed for reaching the vitals on our bigger game that will punch through shoulders and not blow apart.
If you use something for what it isn’t designed to do, then complain about how it worked who’s the idiot? I do not use the SST. But to have a valued opinion I have tried it.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
If you use something for what it isn’t designed to do, then complain about how it worked who’s the idiot? I do not use the SST. But to have a valued opinion I have tried it.
I’m not sure where you are going with this....jest sayn....you talk about Internet armchair warriors,then in the next breath describe your success with SST in the exact scenarios and game they are designed for and excel at,killing deer and other light/thin skinned game.Congrats,excellent bullet choice for deer.
And yes they will and have obviously killed many moose and elk as well,as will a pointy stick with proper shot placement in the vitals.
I’m just saying there’s much better bullets for moose/elk size game because in the real world where I hunt(not the internet) moose don’t always stand broadside for a slam dunk profile shot and in the real world I’ve witnessed first hand the poor penetration and performance of lightly constructed/thin jacket cup n core “deer bullets” on moose shoulders and/or when you are offered a less then ideal shot angle to work with....therefore I will not use SSTs or other similar light jacket cup n core designs for moose,there’s much better bone busting/deep penetrating bullets up to the task ie;partition style designs and monometals etc.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:59 AM

Maybe go back to post number one. The OP ask about experience with the SST. That’s what I provided. If you have no experience with the SST don’t comment. Nobody cares about what bullet you think is better. I think there are better bullets as well but the OP didn’t ask about what bullet I think is best.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Maybe go back to post number one. The OP ask about experience with the SST. That’s what I provided. If you have no experience with the SST don’t comment. Nobody cares about what bullet you think is better. I think there are better bullets as well but the OP didn’t ask about what bullet I think is best.
WOW....touchy much?Maybe go back to post #2,that about sums it up/nuff said.
FWIW,I don’t need to shoot 3 dozen animals with SSTto form an opinion,I’ve shot enough critters with similar/near identical designs to tell ya what they are and what they are not.
They ARE an excellent bullet for deer size game,what they are not is a very good choice for moose nor a great all-around bullet for yer typical AB hunter that wants a do-it-all load for deer/elk most years and the occasional moose.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
WOW....touchy much?Maybe go back to post #2,that about sums it up/nuff said.
I guess this is where the term “monkey see, monkey do” comes from. Lol
I bet Elk has used them and has a valid opinion. You do not....
Old 09-14-2018, 01:11 PM

Seen 2 deer killed with SST. One in .243 and one .30-06, both factory ammunition. Both bullets hit no major bones and absolutely disintegrated. May have been to do with bullet velocity or range so you might have different experience with slower cartridge or greater distance. Have since switched to Barnes TSX and Nosler Partitions. Not seen any retention issue in half dozen deer since the switch.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:17 PM

Seen 2 deer killed with SST. One in .243 and one .30-06, both factory ammunition. Both bullets hit no major bones and absolutely disintegrated. May have been to do with bullet velocity or range so you might have different experience with slower cartridge or greater distance. Have since switched to Barnes TSX and Nosler Partitions. Not seen any retention issue in half dozen deer since the switch.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:18 PM

Great non-magnum speed bullet. I use them on deer and sheep with DRT results.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I’m just saying there’s much better bullets for moose/elk size game because in the real world where I hunt(not the internet) moose don’t always stand broadside for a slam dunk profile shot and in the real world I’ve witnessed first hand the poor penetration and performance of lightly constructed/thin jacket cup n core “deer bullets” on moose shoulders and/or when you are offered a less then ideal shot angle to work with....therefore I will not use SSTs or other similar light jacket cup n core designs for moose,there’s much better bone busting/deep penetrating bullets up to the task ie;partition style designs and monometals etc.
I have witnessed 30 cal 150gr SST's pass through a moose broadside at 300 yards, it makes a fine bullet for moose if you place it properly. An ethical hunter would not take the shot unless it was a clean shot anyways.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-14-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I guess this is where the term “monkey see, monkey do” comes from. Lol
I bet Elk has used them and has a valid opinion. You do not....
Wutever clown.....I don’t need to shoot moose with a .17HMR to tell you that’s a not a suitable moose round neither.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I have witnessed 30 cal 150gr SST's pass through a moose broadside at 300 yards, it makes a fine bullet for moose if you place it properly. An ethical hunter would not take the shot unless it was a clean shot anyways.
Wutever,I’ve seen first hand a perfectly ethical well placed quartering away shot on a moose @100y with essentially the same,light jacket CXP2 150gr that glanced off the ribs and lodged in the shoulder.It was a shot that any ethical hunter would take without hesitation that never reached the vitals because of poor choice of bullet and not matching the bullet to the game.Luckily,it was the 2nd shot fired after the 1st shot was a double lunger that produced a cough of pink mist...that moose was already dead on his feet and just didn’t know it yet.However....if that quartering shot....again,a shot that any ethical hunter would take,would have been the first shot/only shot,that would have been a wounded/most likely unrecovered trophy bull.
Likewise,on more then one occasion I’ve witnessed what should have been game ending shoulder hits blow up and not reach the vitals,again....poor choice of bullets for moose.
So go ahead and preach your holier then though ethics and live in your fantasy world where moose always hold still and pose broadside for perfect double lung hits,but I hunt in the real world and bring along the right tool for the job.SST is not the right tool for moose imho but what do I know,I’ve only been in on 30-40(?) moose kills either as the shooter,partner or guide,you should probly listen to the guy that knows a guy that once killed a moose with SST@200y or once got a pass thru on a 300y perfect broadside.

Last edited by West O'5; 09-14-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Wutever clown.....I don’t need to shoot moose with a .17HMR to tell you that’s a not a suitable moose round neither.

Wutever,I’ve seen first hand a perfectly ethical well placed quartering away shot on a moose @100y with essentially the same,light jacket CXP2 150gr that glanced off the ribs and lodged in the shoulder.It was a shot that any ethical hunter would take without hesitation that never reached the vitals because of poor choice of bullet and not matching the bullet to the game.Luckily,it was the 2nd shot fired after the 1st shot was a double lunger that produced a cough of pink mist...that moose was already dead on his feet and just didn’t know it yet.However....if that quartering shot....again,a shot that any ethical hunter would have been the only or first shot,that waould have been a wounded/most likely I recovered trophy bull.
Likewise,on more then one occasion I’ve witnessed what should have been game ending shoulder hits blow up and not reach the vitals,again....poor choice of bullets for moose.
So go ahead and preach your holier then though ethics and live in your fantasy world where moose always hold still and pose broadside for perfect double lung hits,but I hunt in the real world and bring along the right tool for the job.SST is not the right tool for moose imho but what do I know,I’ve only been in on 30-40(?) moose kills either as the shooter,partner or guide,you should probly listen to the guy that knows a guy that once killed a moose with SST@200y or once got a pass thru on a 300y perfect broadside.
Insulting a member(silver lab), let me say goodbye now since its only a matter of time before you get banned anyways.

What I said an ethical hunter would not shoot unless it was clean shot, punching a bullet through the shoulder blade is not a clean shot, lots of wasted meat and always a chance the bullet will ricochet off the shoulder blade missing the vitals all together, regardless of bullet type. An ethical hunter would let the animal pass or wait for a clean shot, not just shoot because the animal was there. The person I witnessed shoot the moose at 300 yard, hes a 79 year old that hunts moose in 3 different provinces, probably averages 2 moose a year so there is a good chance hes personally harvested more moose than you have even witnessed being shot. I think I'll listen to his opinion rather than your expert advice.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-14-2018, 02:34 PM

I use both the SST and interbond, interchangeably, They often aviable in the same, weights and BC, and my experience , with the 139gr/154gr in 7x57, 7x64 and 180gr in 300H&H, was no conceivable difference, with same load out to 300m,
So perhaps consider, using the SST for longer range and light game, and switch to the interbond for heavier work,
Old 09-14-2018, 02:34 PM

I don’t know what is so hard for you guys to grasp,SST is not and never was designed nor intended as a deep driving,weight retaining heavy game bullet.
It’s a thin jacket,fast expanding cup n core design intended for light thin skinned game.....Super Shock Tip....period.
Will it kill moose....of course it will as will a well placed round from a .223,doesn’t make either of them great or even good choices for moose.
Theres wayyyy better bullets designed for heavier game like moose n elk....partitions/A-frames,monometals etc that are specifically designed for penetration and weight retention on heavy game that aren’t gonna glance off ribs or blow up on shoulders.
And FYI,not only is punching through shoulders an ethical shot,it’s the preferred game ending knock down shot on dangerous game by PHs all over the world and perfectly well suited for notoriously tuff critters like elk that love to run, hard to track critters such as bears,and anchoring moose on the spot where a 200yard run into the swamp can mean the difference between an easy recovery or an all night workout.

Last edited by West O'5; 09-14-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Wutever clown.....I don’t need to shoot moose with a .17HMR to tell you that’s a not a suitable moose round neither..
It’s “what ever”
Old 09-14-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
It’s “what ever”
Yea ok thx,wutever...
Old 10-21-2018, 05:47 PM

Default Sst

Been loading them for my wife’s 270 130 gr for the last 4 years . Never had to track any of her 6 deer more than 40 yards most usaly drop on the spot . Properly placed shot dose the trick . Besides we don’t eat heart or lungs .
Old 10-21-2018, 10:45 PM

Default Sst

I use SST’s for load development and target shooting. The BC is nearly the same as my hunting bullets and a lot cheaper to use on the range.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:43 AM

Recently witnessed an antelope taken with a 162gr sst out of a 7mm mag. 150-200 yards. Animal down but bullet shrapnel everywhere!
Old 10-23-2018, 12:45 PM

I am considering trying the 180gr .308 SST for my .308. It should travel fast enough (not too fast for explosive reaction and not too slow for no expansion) to take down larger than deer with in reasonable /ethical shooting distances.

BTW- 6.5 Swede is gone
Old 10-23-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
They are great bullets, until you try putting one through the shoulder, then they tend to explode causing lots of damage to the meat. They do perform great when you put them through the ribcage.

Pretty much. I used 180 sst out of my 300 win for a while. They loose all of their mass most of the time. Much happier with the ttsx I’m using now.