Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-24-2017, 09:34 AM

Default 44 40

I want to try copper plated bullets in my 44 40. I cant find any in .427 . Will .429 work? Im getting leading with my light cowboy type loads at 1050 fps
Old 10-24-2017, 11:06 AM

I pounded a bullet int the muzzle as far as i dared before pulling it out with a hammer and wire crimpers. Its a miroku gun. As far as i can tell from my calipers it engraves the bullet .004 deep in the rifling and the grooves dont seem to touch. I think my 427 bullet may be too small although it is supposed to be correct. It measures .426 although i dont think my calipers are the right tool but they seem accurate when i measure jacketed bullets.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:25 PM

You can pound a cast bullet all the way through. Just make sure the lead is soft and oiled. Lead ball is easier. If you are getting leading in your bore with cast you are too small. At 1050fps. You can use pure lead and not have leading, with a bullet that matches bore diameter. You could use the .429 bullets as long as they fit in your cylinder. If they need to be pressed in, it could create pressure problems. Do you cast your own?
Old 10-24-2017, 12:29 PM

Bullet barn has some .429 .430 200gr cast bullets. I would try them out. If they are too big make or buy a Lee bullet sizer to knock'em down some.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:22 PM

I am going to try 429 . Also i can get copper plated in 429 my copper plated 357 bullets seem at least as soft as cast ones when i pound them with a hammer and the copper is surprisingly tough. My gun is an 1873 winchester
Old 10-24-2017, 04:17 PM

Default 44-40

Is all over the map.......then there's your chamber, who's throat may not match your dies. Complicated by brass thickness and various bullet diameters.Once that's all sorted out it's smooth sailing.Unique is a great cast powder and jacketed IMR 4227...oh ya and being a bottle neck round carbide dies are unavailable.....Harold
Old 10-24-2017, 04:21 PM

Default leading

If you are getting leading at 1000fps ,you either have to soft a bullet or a rough bore.Perhaps a copper fouled bore ? Here's a guy in AB
http://www.jetbullets.com/cast-bullet-faq-.html
Ask for hard cast sized a couple thousands over groove size..a gas check helps....Harold
Old 10-24-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
If you are getting leading at 1000fps ,you either have to soft a bullet or a rough bore.Perhaps a copper fouled bore ? Here's a guy in AB
http://www.jetbullets.com/cast-bullet-faq-.html
Ask for hard cast sized a couple thousands over groove size..a gas check helps....Harold
Thanks interesting site
Old 10-25-2017, 10:32 AM

I thought you were shooting a wheel gun. Sorry about that. I would use cast if your rifle is an antique. There is mention on how to limit leading by conditioning the bore by light cleaning after shooting a certain amount of cast and then shooting more and repeating. I think the idea is to fill to low spots. Not sure how it works. That being said in my experience fit is the best way to prevent leading. (1-3 thou) over groove diameter it you can chamber the rounds. I have some real crappy pitted barrels and I haven't had an issue since I started stuffing the widest bullet I can chamber down the barrel. Purchased bullets seem to be harder than the stuff I make this is a recipe for leading as they won't bump up if too hard OR they are just too small to begin with. I shoot black so there is a theory that black will bump a marginal bullet up when smokeless won't do that as well. It's a fun project and wouldn't be interesting if you can't play around or at least have one or two hair pulling events.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:24 PM

I am going to try the jet .429 and .430 44 40 bullets before i go to the copper plated 44 mag type bullets i expect they will have a crimp in the right place for o.a.l. like the bullets i got from prophet river but i think the prophet river bullets are too small
Old 10-25-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
I am going to try the jet .429 and .430 44 40 bullets before i go to the copper plated 44 mag type bullets i expect they will have a crimp in the right place for o.a.l. like the bullets i got from prophet river but i think the prophet river bullets are too small
If the bullets are for a .44 mag you may have to seat them in to the leading edge of the crimp groove to fit the carrier of your rifle.

Colin
Old 10-26-2017, 06:58 AM

Default Oal

The 44-40 is sensitive to over all length of no more than 1.60" for proper feeding.Harold