Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2017, 12:23 PM

Default Can speaker wire be substituted for low voltage copper wire?

We are upgrading our low voltage 2 wire thermostat to a Nest and the wire seating holes in the Nest were too small for the existing gauge of wire coming out of the wall. The nest website said to splice smaller gauge wire with marrettes to complete the connection. I didn't have smaller wire on hand but did have in-wall rated speaker wire that I tried just to see if I could get it up and running, which it did no problem.

My question is, given the speaker wire is also pure copper, can I leave it as is or should I change out the speaker wire for low voltage electrical wire? I'm thinking I'll change it out just to be safe (and keep my homeowners insurance in tact), but practically it doesn't seem to be much of a difference other than the strand style vs. solid copper set up.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:29 PM

If your concern is staying compliant with a 24 volt control circuit, and not jeopardizing the requirements of your insurance, because we all know 24 volts AC from a fractional VA transformer is so prone to failure and incident, that you better hire a master electrician who can pull the required permits and follow the prescribed process for the install.

There that's the best answer I can provide because I posses a trade ticket.

I may or may not have inferred something in this thread.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-17-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
If your concern is staying compliant with a 24 volt control circuit, and not jeopardizing the requirements of your insurance, because we all know 24 volts AC from a fractional VA transformer is so prone to failure and incident, that you better hire a master electrician who can pull the required permits and follow the prescribed process for the install.

I may or may not have inferred something in this thread.

I may or may not have inferred something in this thread.[/QUOTE]

I have to confess, I'm not sure how to take what you said. If you are talking down your nose due to possessing a trade certificate - well, whatever props you up I guess...

As far as pulling a permit via master electrician to replace a thermostat - I sense you are jesting. I was just genuinely curious about the difference between the two forms of low voltage wire, given that both are in wall rated. I know of some people using plain wire for their speakers because it was cheaper, but wondered if the opposite had merit.

Anyway, thanks (?) for your help
Old 12-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Banned

I wouldn't use speaker wire just in case anything happens, proper electrical wire is a cheap investment IMO. I tried using speaker wire to wire up small lights on my car once, didn't last long, the plastic shielding is weak. I have 50 feet of 2 or 3 wire (unsure which) 24V if you're around Edmonton, free of charge.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:18 PM

Just spoke with my BIL, who happens to be a master electrician as well as adept at the use of plain language. He's a residential electrical permit assessor/approver and confirmed that it's definitely not a long term solution but in order to get the thermostat set up with internet/smartphone in the absence of stores open to buy the wire - it is fine - which was the plan from the get go.

He actually sees situations where people have tried to wire low voltage lighting with speaker wire, which is not great. He was also saying the new "smart" smoke/CO detectors aren't really recommended due to the inability to connect into other detectors and their reliance on wifi. Edmonton and Calgary had not been permitting their installation on new builds until very recently, Just an FYI in case people were considering upgrading their smoke detectors.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
I wouldn't use speaker wire just in case anything happens, proper electrical wire is a cheap investment IMO. I tried using speaker wire to wire up small lights on my car once, didn't last long, the plastic shielding is weak. I have 50 feet of 2 or 3 wire (unsure which) 24V if you're around Edmonton, free of charge.
Thanks for the offer, Silver - my BIL suggested to have a look in the furnace room because if there was ever plans to have AC installed, there should be a spool of LVT sitting there. And what do you know, there is! Off to change out my little Frankenstein smart thermostat job
Old 12-17-2017, 02:06 PM

Done - wire replaced and homeowners insurance back in tact!
Old 12-17-2017, 03:46 PM
Banned

Pull a homeowners permit, you do not require a electrician to install a tstat.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:27 AM

Fond memories of wiring up my sex lights in my ford exp with speaker wire. Worked great until it didn't and the wires smoked and dripped melted plastic on my legs. Anyone else wire up lights under their seats and dash in the 80's?
Old 12-20-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
Fond memories of wiring up my sex lights in my ford exp with speaker wire. Worked great until it didn't and the wires smoked and dripped melted plastic on my legs. Anyone else wire up lights under their seats and dash in the 80's?
I'm more of a shag carpet in the 70's kind of guy

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:45 PM

Bought a 67 mustang fastback where someone had added interior lights. Took a couple of weeks pulling the dash and removing the smelly mess.