Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 03:18 PM

Default Input on Prariestorm Kennels

I have finally decided to get a new dog after 4 years of being dog-less, this time a Lab.

Have heard great things about Prairie storm Kennels in SK and like to hear your input as well as any other good breeders you can recommend for small frame black labs.

Yours in good hunt'n,

CH
Old 12-15-2017, 03:47 PM

Default Glad to see you doing research

Many people buy on basis of color and then regret they did not look into the intended purpose. There are enough back yard breeders out there to provide anyone with the color and companion dog they seek but if you check clearances as well as pedigrees it is much easier to assess the potential of a pup.
Prairie storm dogs we have trained here in past 5-6 years were great dogs.
You know I am very fussy about a dogs credentials.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:12 PM

I’ve got a pup from them currently and he’s doing really well. Headstrong little bugger but his drive is up there. He’s only 5 months old and I’m no trainer but I think I’m going to have a heck of a dog by the time he’s done being a pup. He will be purposed as a shed dog and I think Danielle hit it out of the park with the pick I received based on attributes I was looking for. He’s my first from her but from what I’m seeing, won’t be my last. Best of luck wherever you procure one from.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:09 PM

Default some possible issues...?

We just got our little pup from them at the end of October...he is 3.5 months old now and pretty awesome...however, there were some issues health wise when we brought him home (and I know of one other member here who had a similar experience this fall too). I don't really feel like making it all totally public and starting a war of words, but feel free to PM me if you want the details before you commit. Like I said though, he's a pretty great dog all in all.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:30 PM

Cowboy up kennels for a good house dog that will hunt as well
Old 12-15-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsolo1 View Post
We just got our little pup from them at the end of October...he is 3.5 months old now and pretty awesome...however, there were some issues health wise when we brought him home (and I know of one other member here who had a similar experience this fall too). I don't really feel like making it all totally public and starting a war of words, but feel free to PM me if you want the details before you commit. Like I said though, he's a pretty great dog all in all.
Ditto, regarding a Brittany. I can be PM’d also.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:45 PM

I got my last lab from Trailrunners which is also in SK. They breed labs for different purposes and one can contact them to see what lines have pups coming up.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:01 PM

Default Health issues too

Yep same. Awesome dog, but came home sick. PM me as well if you'd like.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:04 PM

I’m thinking of possibly going with PrairieStorm next fall after I buy a house. Following this thread.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:18 AM

Three health issues in a day old thread would be more than enough for me. You don't have to read here long to see how expensive and life changing a health issue with a pet can be.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:25 AM

Default Great dogs

In the last six years I have hunted over three Prairie Storm dogs that have been fantastic. Two are mine. One has had issues with her ACL and arthritis. She is now 5. One year ago she blew her ACL and had surgery. She has struggled with arthritis ever since. Awesome dog. Great temperament. Trainable. Smart. Birdy as you would ever want. I have not done my part to train her. She would be amazing if I would have done my job right. Not enough time with a job switch and young kids.

Lab 2. She is better. Birdy. Smart. Wants to please. Driven to hunt and retrieve. I have let my 12 year old train her with my guidance. She is doing well but not to my standards. He is learning and so is she. Getting there.

Third dog. Same thing but less time. Not mine. You need to find the time to train and do it right to have a good dog.

Danielle is fantastic. We have been happy. I'm going with a Springer or a shorthair next time. When life has started to swing back to a manageable level.

Do. Your. Research. You can bring dogs up from the states. Join a retriever club if you can and work with them. Read. Watch videos. Do it right and take the time in the first two years. Not like me.

Have fun.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:21 AM

had ours for 5 years now and an amazing lab. amazing drive, easily trained, quiet and an awesome family guard dog.very happy and no health issues.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:08 PM

Ours prairiestorm lab is 8 months now. Fantastic dog, very smart. One minor health issue when we brought him home but it was cleared up quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2017, 05:28 PM

I can't speak to their labs, but I do run a Prairiestorm Britt. I've been very pleased with him. He's three now and has had a great fall.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 12-16-2017, 05:57 PM

I have one, nice dog. I believe she's almost 5.
The dog is really smart and learns very quickly. Wasn't super impressed with her natural ability. I just thought a well bred pup shouldn't have to be force fetched to be a retriever. After talking to the breeder sounded like that was pretty common. The dog just doesn't have much of a natural retrieve, upland drive isn't there either but I have a GSP for that.
Personally I'd try a different breeder next time, though I doubt I'd get another lab.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:26 PM

Default Prairie storm lab

Our lab lab cost us a lot right off the start. PM for details. He is a nice friendly dog good for what we got him for. We weren’t very impressed with Prairie Storm.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:42 PM

Hey,

I’m just wondering about the size of male dogs Prairiestorm is putting out. Are they typically on the smaller side, average, larger?

I’m looking for a bigger dog (70-80lb) American style and they have a litter coming up with a spot available

The sire is 63 lbs and the bitch is 50lbs
Old 05-14-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Hey,

I’m just wondering about the size of male dogs Prairiestorm is putting out. Are they typically on the smaller side, average, larger?

I’m looking for a bigger dog (70-80lb) American style and they have a litter coming up with a spot available

Our male was expected to be 65-70lbs. Last time we weighed him he was 84. Not overweight, just larger than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2018, 11:59 PM

Given the anecdotes on this short thread alone.... call Trailrunners.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Hey,

I would think that if your looking for a larger dog, you might want to pass on this litter. The pups would typically be similar to the parents. Both of the parents in this litter are on the small side at 63lbs and 50lbs. Keep in mind we are talking genetics here so really anything can happen as it’s not an exact science. But try looking for litters where the parents exhibit the traits and qualities your looking for, that way you can at least stack the odds in your favor.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
I would think that if your looking for a larger dog, you might want to pass on this litter. The pups would typically be similar to the parents. Both of the parents in this litter are on the small side at 63lbs and 50lbs. Keep in mind we are talking genetics here so really anything can happen as it’s not an exact science. But try looking for litters where the parents exhibit the traits and qualities your looking for, that way you can at least stack the odds in your favor.
That’s what I was thinking too.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:06 AM

I have a very athletic, terrific field lab from Prairie Storm. Zero health issues.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:22 AM

Don't know Prairie Storm at all and don't know how many pups they put out a year, but for a real short thread there are WAY TOO MANY health issues with their dogs. Personally, I would be looking some place different for sure.