Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2017, 10:01 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. Really has given me a lot to think about and will hopefully help some others looking at getting into the career as theres not much info on the job out there.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 12-16-2017, 10:11 AM

I once was sleeping in a motorhome at a truck stop. A cattle liner pulled in and they guy was up every two hours banging a stick and yelling at the livestock to get up. I guess if they lie down they could get trampled.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Wouldnt be buying the truck right away. Would probably work 2-3 years before crossing over. Do you know anyone who hires new drivers and has a good training program?
It appears that any of the frack outfits hire new drivers. Might be not a bad place to get experience and I think they pay fairly well.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:16 PM

Family been in trucking business for ever. Not a good life. Eat bad and get fat just to start.
How about running buses or trucks to dealers for the manufactures or looking into Driving for Greyhound or Arrow or running a bus tours for Diversified??

For your finances, health, safety and most of all your family!!

IMO, stay far away from trucks!!
Old 12-16-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
It appears that any of the frack outfits hire new drivers. Might be not a bad place to get experience and I think they pay fairly well.
And it will teach you about feast or famine🤣 kinda like hauling cows
Old 12-16-2017, 05:05 PM
Banned

Although I am not a trucker, my good friend and neighbor is. Actually a rancher who hauls his own cattle. I've been a passenger with him on many trips. He tells me that hauling cattle is much like hauling a half full fuel or water tanker. The load is consistently shifting.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:45 PM

And just like that shut down for at least 5 days, transmission growling. Probably be around 10 grand. No money out of my pocket but no income either. (Except I’m an overachiever and the boss is shutting another guy down and I get to keep going with his truck). But that’s how quick things turn around in this industry. Last month was the best month I’ve ever had this month not so much, not that there’s a shortage of work just can’t keep going.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:51 PM

I’m also curious as to why you want to avoid e logs? You haven’t started yet and your trying to avoid what in my mind is the best thing to come to the industry since log books were brought in.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Get yourself a self-loading bale truck would be a better plan,
Way better plan.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
I’m also curious as to why you want to avoid e logs? You haven’t started yet and your trying to avoid what in my mind is the best thing to come to the industry since log books were brought in.
I dont want to avoid them. I just dont know anything about them, and figured if I went O/O in a few years it'd be another expense to get it put in. I can't imagine they're cheap to run, or install.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 12-16-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Way better plan.
Do those guys get work year round? Looked at them yesterday, looks like 88,000 for a used one. Can't justify paying that for one if you can only use it part of the year. Although maybe they make enough to justify it?
Old 12-17-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I just think it would be a good job for me. Lots of freedom, dont always have a boss looking over your shoulder or testing you, and I like driving.(Have been across Canada four times and the States once) On top of that you get a bit of exercise moving the livestock in/out of the truck, and get to meet lots of good people.

My biggest concern is how does it effect my family? Will I be able to pay the bills starting out? Eventually I'd like to get to O/O and run my own truck running cows, hay, and grain. But to start out I think its smarter to drive someone elses truck and learn the ropes.

Any comments you guys have on running livestock, or trucking in general, Im all ears. I have a pretty good job right now, so I want to make a informed decision before making the switch.
Unless you can do it part time I can't see you having lots of freedom. Not a lot of exercise loading and unloading, and that is actually a pretty dangerous part of the job. Lots of people have been seriously hurt doing that. Especially if you are new to cows, and when you are tired, cold, and behind schedule. Hauling hogs is a lot safer, but is something I personally didn't enjoy doing at all.

Maybe try calling a company near you and see if you can do a couple ride alongs. That way it will give you a better idea.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:24 PM

Wouldn't hurt for you to go swamping with some cattlehaulers before you jump into it, some who are experienced drivers and some who are experienced O/O's. It is a way of life more so than a business for most. They just happen to make something of a living at it, most of the time.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:27 PM

Anyone got any info on the Frac companies? Looking at that instead now. Would that be better for money and family?
Old 12-20-2017, 06:30 PM

Cattle hauling can be your foot in the door with many landowners while looking for permission to hunt.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Anyone got any info on the Frac companies? Looking at that instead now. Would that be better for money and family?
The money will be better I am sure most are running a 15 and 6 rotation,but can be hard work.How old are you and any kids,wife I am assuming.Any job where you are away from home for long periods of time are not good for family life.What does your wife think of the idea of you being gone for weeks at a time?Not trying to say don't do it but think if you have not is to talk with your wife ,if you have kids as well she may not be really happy being a single parent.Lots will promise the world home every night etc,but that might mean yes you are home everynight just long enough to eat and sleep.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't haul livestock. Had a few guys on my crew who have done it and none of them had anything good to say about it. Even running hard the money isn't great, same goes for most trucking.

I work for a large well service company. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. Most companies run a 15 and 6 schedule, if you do frac, coil or fluid be prepared to be gone the entire 15 days. Cementing, N2 or bulk transport can have some hitches at home and some away. When it's busy in the middle of winter expect to only be home for 8-10 hours and then off to work again. The good thing is you get your 6 days off and don't have to worry about your phone ringing. As for pay, do you have a class 1 already? Probably be making 70 ish k a year to start with a class 1 and no experience. Once you can run a pump (2-12 months depending on your aptitude) you are looking at ~100k. More equipment, supervising ect. You will be 130k +. Unlike trucking there is a lot of room for career advancement, but it's a lot harder work too.