Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Well considering that the pool price for coal produced power was $49 in 2014 it seems like your off base yet again......
Again, who pays the difference? I have a hard time believing these low costs are just that - low costs. Enlighten me please.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Again, who pays the difference? I have a hard time believing these low costs are just that - low costs. Enlighten me please.
Actually slickwilly gave a good explanation to your question.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Actually slickwilly gave a good explanation to your question.
Ok spit it out. I am all ears.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you are describing a pump jack
Or not....

http://calgaryherald.com/business/lo...o-green-energy

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2017, 07:47 AM

Wind towers are not quiet and yes they do kill lots of birds and scare away wildlife. You would think this would go against NDP environment ministers Shannon Phillips mindset. I think they are worse than OHV's in the Castle area. They are noisy to live by.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:11 AM

I do some work for ranchers north of Pincher with wind turbines on their land. The comments I get are " I can't hear the damn things over the wind anyway" and "The extra income makes the cash flow numbers easier to work."
Old 12-17-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Ok spit it out. I am all ears.
Quote from Slickwilly;
"If the sale price is below what the company bids, they are reimbursed by the government. If the sale price is higher than 3.7, the excess goes back to the government.

Gives the companies the stability they need to justify the investment."
Old 12-17-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
A land owner losses far more rights with a wind lease than an oil and gas lease.

https://law.pace.edu/sites/default/f..._26OCT11_0.pdf

Be forewarned before signing. A quick google search shows a huge number of landowners against wind farms.

These are high impact installations. Never low impact like most oil or gas wells.
Thankfully the landowner has the right to say "no thank you, I prefer to not have a wind turbine on my property."
Does the same hold true for oil and gas ????
Old 12-17-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Ok genius, I really wonder if you understand the negative impacts wind turbines have on the landscape and the toll they and the high voltage lines take on birds. I’ve seen it first hand and it’s disgusting. Yet it never gets mentioned.

It’s also quite obvious you don’t understand who is paying for the thousands of wind turbines and high voltage lines needed for these turbines.(I know, taxpayers do). It’s a freaking joke that people are so stupid and think this is a great idea.

Last winter there were hundreds of geese, hundreds of ducks, and some bald and golden eagles laying under a 240v KV line just north of Pincher Creek.

I guesss it’s what we deal with all in the name of “Alternative Energery”.
So I take it you don't like power lines? Fair enough, as they do kill a lot of birds. You do realize however that the VAST majority of power lines are carrying power produced from Coal, NG or hydro and have nothing to do with wind turbines. A lot of the damage done to bird populations could be mitigated with proper planning.
Quote;
"Transmission companies in Alberta have not needed to conduct formal Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs) of new high voltage power lines since 2008, when the Alberta Government exempted all high voltage lines from this requirement. "

Last edited by Scott h; 12-17-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
So I take it you don't like power lines? Fair enough, as they do kill a lot of birds. You do realize however that the VAST majority of power lines are carrying power produced from Coal, NG or hydro and have nothing to do with wind turbines.
And do you realize that the number of power lines has to rise dramatically in order to service all these small scale power generation schemes? Again, we should be using existing infrastructure.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
So I take it you don't like power lines? Fair enough, as they do kill a lot of birds. You do realize however that the VAST majority of power lines are carrying power produced from Coal, NG or hydro and have nothing to do with wind turbines.
Take a drive down here in your Tesla, every time they put up a new wind farm they also need a new sub station and 240v kV lines to tie it into the grid.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Thankfully the landowner has the right to say "no thank you, I prefer to not have a wind turbine on my property."
Does the same hold true for oil and gas ????
Apples and oranges that some fail to recognize apparently.

There are two titles on any land. One for surface and one for subsurface.

Both have rights of use.

In the US the subsurface owner in most areas have the legal right to access a reasonable surface footprint free of charge to access their rights. In other words one title owner can't stop the other from use.

In Alberta surface rights have a ton more rights over and above the subsurface rights.

Because in Alberta the Crown owns 81% of the mineral rights the rights of the public to access mineral value conflicts with rights of voters the government has put tons of process in place to protect owners.

In the end with companies acting reasonably and title owners acting reasonably the compromise is a win/win.

Cheers

SUN

P.S.

Wanna bet an NDP government will mandate leases for wind power if landowners refused to talk. It is in the best interest of greens after all.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 12-17-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
Wind towers are not quiet and yes they do kill lots of birds and scare away wildlife. You would think this would go against NDP environment ministers Shannon Phillips mindset. I think they are worse than OHV's in the Castle area. They are noisy to live by.
NDP can't play by the same rules.

Argument greens use when confronted with birds and bats killed by wind turbines is that way more are killed by cats.

When 20 ducks die in a tailings pond it is unacceptable and news goes international.

When one industry can kill with impunity and another has zero tolerance...there is a cult effect in play.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-17-2017, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I wonder how many they are installing in Edmonton and Calgary?....
oh, that's right...all the people that want them don't want to have to actually see them....
Probably as many as there are coal mines there. Just guessing.