Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Hate to say it but even if you guys identify this person nothing will happen. Big deal you got a pic of someone. Could be on legal property , could be on crown land and it could be anything. Pretty tough to convince the authorities of any wrongdoing because you have a picture of someone.
I think that is why on hunting Addicts they said stop posting because really there is nothing that can be done with a pic
Wrong.
A pic is either a minor or large part of the accumulation of evidence that could lead to a variety or type of charge(s). Depends on what the OP's intentions are.
Maybe the OP just wants to thank them for leaving some beer and pizza's at camp.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:28 PM

Thank them eh lol
Ok. then...
Look at it from the CO, standpoint. You got nothing.
That is the sad reality of it. Sucks but true.
I could take your picture and tell the cops all kinds of stories about you if I wanted to try and make life miserable for you and they wouldn't bat an eye.
Even if you find out who the guy is what do you plan on doing other than give the guy a talking to?
Old 12-12-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Thank them eh lol
Ok. then...
I could take your picture and tell the cops all kinds of stories about you if I wanted to try and make life miserable for you and they wouldn't bat an eye.
Even if you find out who the guy is what do you plan on doing other than give the guy a talking to?
Im not so sure, COs I have talked to say they want photographic evidence, hear say or just saying you saw some one doesn't help much.
But haven't seen any were what the OP wants this information for or maybe I missed it.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Thank them eh lol
Ok. then...
Two for two Nube...

Photographic evidence is always 'a good thing' when prosecuting cases. Naturally they have to be corroborated and should support other evidence, but pics can actually be the deal breaker.
Trust me...I've won cases because of photographic evidence and I've lost a case or two because of the lack photographic evidence.

However, I'm still on the side of the OP thanking them for the beers and pizzas at camp.
Would have be considerate of the OP to give some reasons for the ID, but it's of little concern to the rest of us.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:52 AM

Sure they want pics but because you have them doesn't meant they can convict anyone. You have to prove you got those pics on property that they are not allowed on. Unless the person in the pic confesses to anything you are out of luck! Unless of course you have GPS coordinates on your trail cam?
Old 12-13-2017, 06:32 AM

To think this is the only picture the OP has of this person is pretty short sighted.

I'd wager he's got a whole series of pics, but this one is the best quality showing buddies face.

I'd love to here the rest of this story.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-13-2017, 06:58 AM

Still a fools errand, I’m with nube here . If you think a co is going to put any effort at all to guys trespassing/crossin through in front of your camera your delusional.if there was a herd of poached animals than maybe would put a little more effort . My neighbour walked across my lawn to go to other neighbours not exactly front page news with petty traspass lol.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:05 AM

If someone was trespassing on my property, I would want to know who they are whether the pictures are enough proof to get a conviction or not.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
Still a fools errand, I’m with nube here . If you think a co is going to put any effort at all to guys trespassing/crossin through in front of your camera your delusional.if there was a herd of poached animals than maybe would put a little more effort . My neighbour walked across my lawn to go to other neighbours not exactly front page news with petty traspass lol.
Interesting.

In 2014 I was in this same situation. Several trail camera pictures of a Guide and client on our land. I sent the photos to the local F&W officer. He had a chat with first the outfitter and then the guide. Both claimed the pictures were not on my land. The F&W officer came out one afternoon and had me take him to where the pictures werw taken. He grabbed several photos of his own.

The guide was charged and when he appeared in court his defense was “those pictures of me were on Crown Land”. The Crown called the F&W officer who showed the court the photos he had taken of where the trail camera had got the pictures of the guide. He also had the coordinates for where his pictures were taken. It was very clear that the guide was in fact on our land.

He was convicted of trespassing. So trail camera pictures DO work for trespassing charges.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If someone was trespassing on my property, I would want to know who they are whether the pictures are enough proof to get a conviction or not.
i am with you on this if someone was on my land I would like to know who they are and why they are there
Old 12-13-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly - naming & shaming is probably just as powerful
Old 12-13-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
x2
Old 12-13-2017, 08:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
Much more powerful. A trespassing charge is a couple bucks out of his pocket. No big deal. Having local landowners find out they are trespassers is 100X more effective.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentSpokesman View Post
Much more powerful. A trespassing charge is a couple bucks out of his pocket. No big deal. Having local landowners find out they are trespassers is 100X more effective.
Except if he is guiding the requirements to have proper access go beyond the petty trespass act. It's part of the Wildlife Act.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-13-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
And an act that may cause him issues in the future with other land owners in the area. Perfect!!
Old 12-13-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Sure they want pics but because you have them doesn't meant they can convict anyone. You have to prove you got those pics on property that they are not allowed on. Unless the person in the pic confesses to anything you are out of luck! Unless of course you have GPS coordinates on your trail cam?
Sure got a lot of strong opinions for someone who doesn't have a stake in the game!

Why are you so concerned that he'd like to know who it is? Because your reasons aren't good enough?
Old 12-13-2017, 09:13 AM

Pretty sure the guy in the lead is cousin Eddy from Christmas Vacation.....****ters Full
Old 12-13-2017, 09:24 AM

So this was this Monday morning in 310? Gee, there is that much snow somewhere in 310? Must be up awful high. I was just there last weekend and it was as dry as Calgary.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Being on property that they are not allowed on may not be what this is about.
Maybe something illegal happened and this photo may just prove they were in the area and these fellows may be "persons of interest" and will be questioned.
Suppose something serious happened and there were boot tracts in the snow and this pic was taken at the end of those boot tracks. Suppose the guys in this photo are identified and as a result of the investigation boots, firearm or cartridges or whatever can be linked to a crime. Is the picture useful? You bet it is!

If it is about property they were not allowed on, this picture along with tracks leading to where the picture was taken may well prove the trespass.

Pictures speak volumes, especially when it can be linked with other evidence.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:

It may not mean conviction on its own but could be a small part of a puzzle that’s gets pieced together. Not saying its relevant to this situation as we don’t even know if there is a situation. Kinda funny how there is so many talking about it on here and the op has not spoken up about it
Old 12-13-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So this was this Monday morning in 310? Gee, there is that much snow somewhere in 310? Must be up awful high. I was just there last weekend and it was as dry as Calgary.
Quite playing like you're obtuse.

The pic was only posted here on Monday.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-13-2017, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
Good Morning,

Can anyone help me identify this person? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Sorry i thought it was darrell, larry's brother.
Good luck on your search.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Strike three.

Take a break nube, you're starting to sound like you're defending 'someone'.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Quite playing like you're obtuse.

The pic was only posted here on Monday.
I'm not playing obtuse. "12-11-2017 09:21 AM" is on the lower right corner of the posted picture. I thought (mistakenly) it might have been a trail cam time stamp. Relax Dick.

And I don't play like I'm obtuse. I am obtuse.

Last edited by Okotokian; 12-13-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Interesting.

In 2014 I was in this same situation. Several trail camera pictures of a Guide and client on our land. I sent the photos to the local F&W officer. He had a chat with first the outfitter and then the guide. Both claimed the pictures were not on my land. The F&W officer came out one afternoon and had me take him to where the pictures werw taken. He grabbed several photos of his own.

The guide was charged and when he appeared in court his defense was “those pictures of me were on Crown Land”. The Crown called the F&W officer who showed the court the photos he had taken of where the trail camera had got the pictures of the guide. He also had the coordinates for where his pictures were taken. It was very clear that the guide was in fact on our land.

He was convicted of trespassing. So trail camera pictures DO work for trespassing charges.
This is right/correct/however you wish to see it, the officer did the investigation, judge did the sentencing. Spot on. Pictures are worth a thousand words, case closed! Caught a scum bag

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-14-2017, 06:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
And the fools will/can be convicted but now his ugly mug is all over the place via social media...he knows who he is and probably a few here too know him...public humiliation

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-14-2017, 07:24 AM
Banned

I'd like to know the complete story including the story from the two fellows in the picture. Who knows, maybe one of them was injured, family member died, they were avoiding something such as an animal or someone in the bush, all kinds of possibilities requiring the need for them to bee line it out of where they were?
Old 12-14-2017, 07:35 AM

Throwing pics on the internet doesn't in my opinion seem like a proper thing to do in regards to a possible criminal activity. You see it all the time though. If you have suspicions of an outfitter then send him the pic and ask if ts is a client or employee. There may be a simple explanation as a medical issue or late for an apt that caused a 'shortcut' back to a road. If it's a one time thing then I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a habit or blatant disregard then take to the next level. I would keep the pics to myself though.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:16 AM

Good morning all, just a follow up as I've received lots of questions, and some help.

The one person has been identified. The authorities are aware and are currently building their case. I am pressing charges, to the maximum extent of the law.

This will be the sixth case this year I have had that i am pressing charges against for trespassing, poaching or vandalism to my property. I'm tired of it, and wish that more people would obey the law rather than try to shame people for wanting the rights to their property upheld. There are a few more cases that i know occurred that i don't have the proof to proceed further.

I never understand why there is so much animosity toward a landowner trying to get respect of their possessions. Poachers/Trespassers create a bad name for all of us. I personally don't see a difference between people cutting locks, trespassing, etc and any other crime. I don't think anyone would appreciate me going to their home and sitting in their living room uninvited.

My girlfriend and I actually had to shoot a lock off of our own gate this year as someone locked us inside of our own land by chaining and locking us in. It was clear with the fresh snow that we were in there and was done intentionally. It was a good learning lesson for my girlfriend towards the ignorant group of criminals that associate with the law abiding hunters.

I do appreciate all of the help that was directed my way.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:19 AM

Good luck. Trespassers need more consequences