Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-07-2017, 09:34 PM

Default trigger position for marten

So I checked a few sets I have out in a good marten area and I found 3 out of the 4 sets had the piece of beaver meat I was using for bait gone and nothing in the trap. What kind of position do you guys like for 120s for marten? Im thinking the trigger wires were spaced too wide? I squeezed them tighter towards the center to see if that would help. The pic is the wires after I adjusted them. Any pointers would be great!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3041.jpg (102.6 KB, 124 views)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:42 PM

It could be mice, squirrels or ermine stealing your bait also. It's hard to explain what I do with my triggers, I hold them about 2/3 of the way down then bend the bottom (wide part of the v) out wider. It seems to give them a better view and path to the bait, and as they are working It, they set off trap with their head or shoulders.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:51 PM

The pic looks good. The belisle 120’s I use get the triggers spread that much at least,
Any tracks in the snow? Have never been hoodwinked by a marten but Ermine and sometimes squirrel will get your bait. Not usually ermine on my inverted sets but they do hit the leaning trees or running pole sets sometimes.

I’d say an additional gentle bending of the last 3/4” on each wire would Be good

If You have lots of weasel set a few weasel traps near by , another option is installing some pan triggers instead of wires.
Plus side is pans Will really work good for mink too if you have some boxes set for them.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:55 PM

here is a pic of a 120 fresh out of the packaging and into a box
Is this how your trigger wires were?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B0CBACD3-1CCD-4FA9-A90D-4DC77302AB8A.jpg (13.9 KB, 114 views)
Old 12-08-2017, 06:42 AM

I bend my trigger wires a little more plus i set trigger against the tree trigger is always at the bottom
I found that setting this way accomplished two things.
First trigger and latch hit the belly and less chance of damage to fur on the back all it takes is a burr or sharp edge on trigger or latch to pull fur
Two weasels will climb up and stand on trigger to reach bait screws them every time
Old 12-08-2017, 07:37 AM

Put pan's on all your sets! This will help your catch rate immensely! Even squirrels will set them off.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
here is a pic of a 120 fresh out of the packaging and into a box
Is this how your trigger wires were?
yep thats what they looked like. I spread them apart and set them.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa View Post
I bend my trigger wires a little more plus i set trigger against the tree trigger is always at the bottom
I found that setting this way accomplished two things.
First trigger and latch hit the belly and less chance of damage to fur on the back all it takes is a burr or sharp edge on trigger or latch to pull fur
Two weasels will climb up and stand on trigger to reach bait screws them every time
i would like to try that but my hanger system doesn't have room for the trigger/dog on the tree side. might have to modify my hangers to let me do that.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke hunter View Post
Put pan's on all your sets! This will help your catch rate immensely! Even squirrels will set them off.
Yes, use pan trigger traps in horizontal or inclined leaning pole sets.
Recess the pan trigger trap into the box so the trap is about 4-5" in front of bait at the back of the box. In this situation the animal is stable at the bait, not moving thru or jumping over the pan going to the bait. A mink or marten will be standing on the pan with their front feet, or bumping it with their chest, and fisher will bump it with their chin/chest, while working the bait. This results in a quick humane dispatch virtually every time.

When placed in the box the trap dog should point to the box entrance and the pan over the back jaw towards the bait. The pan should angle upwards about 20 degrees or so towards the back of the box over the back trap jaw. If set level the pan may hang up on the box floor and not fire. Also after placing the trap into position, always bend the springs downward and this raises the trigger dog a fraction of an inch above the box base.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
Yes, use pan trigger traps in horizontal or inclined leaning pole sets.
Recess the pan trigger trap into the box so the trap is about 4-5" in front of bait at the back of the box. In this situation the animal is stable at the bait, not moving thru or jumping over the pan going to the bait. A mink or marten will be standing on the pan with their front feet, or bumping it with their chest, and fisher will bump it with their chin/chest, while working the bait. This results in a quick humane dispatch virtually every time.

When placed in the box the trap dog should point to the box entrance and the pan over the back jaw towards the bait. The pan should angle upwards about 20 degrees or so towards the back of the box over the back trap jaw. If set level the pan may hang up on the box floor and not fire. Also after placing the trap into position, always bend the springs downward and this raises the trigger dog a fraction of an inch above the box base.
Good points. I for sure always bend the springs too. Getting clearance so the dog can release. Do this with your spring safety’s on for obvious reasons.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:47 PM

i've heard pans are the way to go. i won't be able to use them this season but maybe next season. you guys have any pics of a pan set up?
Old 12-08-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmparker View Post
i've heard pans are the way to go. i won't be able to use them this season but maybe next season. you guys have any pics of a pan set up?
Old 12-08-2017, 03:07 PM

I had bait stolen many times. Mostly from Weasels and Mice. I put pans on my traps and I don't get bait stolen much anymore. It was mostly weasels and now they get caught. If I am missing any bait now it is from mice and you won't catch them or have them spring your trap
Old 12-08-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I had bait stolen many times. Mostly from Weasels and Mice. I put pans on my traps and I don't get bait stolen much anymore. It was mostly weasels and now they get caught. If I am missing any bait now it is from mice and you won't catch them or have them spring your trap
i didnt really think mice would steal meat so i suppose they could be stealing it. not really any snow in the area to check for foot prints so its hard to know whats going on exactly.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:05 AM

I like to make a wide arc with triggers, that way the squirrels and weasels can come and go and not set off the trap. Unless off course you want to catch alot of squirrels with pan sets. Also marten will see a clear path to your bait, much like they do with pans.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:42 AM

caught one of the perpetrators yesterday. a flying squirrel. first one i've ever seen.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:46 AM

Parker agree, flying squirrels are major bait robbers, catch quite a few each winter.