Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-07-2017, 06:47 PM

Default Warm weather and coyotes

How is every one doing for coyote numbers during this warm stretch.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:09 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Buggers lay low...need a cold snap and a heck of a storm to role through...next few days after is productive calling wise...rabbit distress calls

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-07-2017, 07:53 PM

finally caught 3 yesterday and today after a week and a half dry spell. all on one bait site
Old 12-08-2017, 12:21 AM
Banned

Set two bait sites on November 9 and 10 and was hammering them up until the warm spell. I figured that I caught all of the locals so I started three more bait sites but there hasn’t been much interest in them. Really quiet but I caught a tank of a male yesterday and another big male today so that’s encouraging. For now they just aren’t moving and I haven’t seen anything for tracks in the fields let alone any coyotes. Nice weather to hang snares in though.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:54 AM

Weve done quite well considering the warm weather , 13 in a week . The hides however dont look all the great to me , one was rubbed bad already .
Old 12-08-2017, 02:41 PM

I have connected on 3 and am hard pressed to even think to send to auction. Rubbed, shoulder mites and mange. Crappy start to the season. Hope it gets better.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:03 PM

Default mange

Last season in the lindon,drumheller area,had to leave many were they dropped terrible mange ,and for sure they were suffering badly--stopped hunting--this season,so far seems better,have one trapped friend in the rose bud area has over 40 with not bad result--warm weather setting out wire like a summer past time,like coat,no gloves--seems i always do better with cold and snow--cant remember the last time i had a pair of snow shoes on,in nfld wore many a pair out----
Old 12-09-2017, 08:51 PM

Default Warm Weather

I'm happy to hear it isn't only me that is experiencing a slow period thru the warm spell lately. I have only picked up 2 in the last week and hardly any tracks around the baits. I lifted my snares until it cools off again as I won't be able to check every day and would like to skip the green bellies! Unfortunately it looks to remain warm for quite a while! I was hoping for 100 this year but this weather is not cooperating.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:21 PM
Banned

Drove about 100 Kms round trip doing my checks today and didn’t see one new set of tracks in any of the fields today. They are pretty much bare of any tracks. Somehow I managed to catch one coyote out of four bait sites. I guess that’s as good as it gets for now.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:11 PM

Coyoteman don’t leave those mangy coyotes in the field. Take them some where and burn them. If you leave them in the field you will never get rid of mange, the live ones will rub up against them an spread the disease. I made a deal with a local Hutterite colony so I can throw them in to their burn pit.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
How is every one doing for coyote numbers during this warm stretch.
This warm weather can leave anytime still getting numbers but not near what it should be and the damn Ravens can leave also,it's a shame when you have to throw a fully prime coyote away due to those $&@%#eating holes in them!!!lost 10 already every 2 day checks
Old 12-11-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem300 View Post
This warm weather can leave anytime still getting numbers but not near what it should be and the damn Ravens can leave also,it's a shame when you have to throw a fully prime coyote away due to those $&@%#eating holes in them!!!lost 10 already every 2 day checks
Ravens , eagles , magpies .. they can all roast in @#$% as far as Im concerned. Go to the work and expense of catching a decent dog only to have them destroy it , nope they must get tired of that bait pile and decide some coyote sushi is in order . Other than that , how do the hides look , I'd say ours here are on the weak side .
Old 12-11-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Ravens , eagles , magpies .. they can all roast in @#$% as far as Im concerned. Go to the work and expense of catching a decent dog only to have them destroy it , nope they must get tired of that bait pile and decide some coyote sushi is in order . Other than that , how do the hides look , I'd say ours here are on the weak side .
Hides are looking good nice thick coats and the absolute bonus is not one with mange or mites knock on wood but some bait sites are very slow!! Just hoping for colder weather and snow
Old 12-13-2017, 10:00 PM

6 brand new Baits that I hit 20-35 coyotes on each year and I have got one coyote in the last four days. So here is hoping for some snow and colder weather.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:11 PM

Set a new bait station on the 2 of Dec as the farmer does want me to start until after hunting season. Finally got 3 on Saturday the 9th and one again on Tuesday. Most years on that bait I would have 10 or more by now. Full moon and warm weather has just shut them down. Should pick up as the weather turns colder next week.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:34 AM
Banned

^^^^^Uh oh, you said full moon^^^^^
Old 12-16-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
^^^^^Uh oh, you said full moon^^^^^
Yup he did , I know it slows us down but dont think it hurt us as bad as when there is snow on the ground as well .
Old 12-16-2017, 06:52 PM

My season start slowly but I caught 14 coyotes this week so I was really happy. 11 good ones and 3 with shoulder mites. I spent the day in the furs shed skinning and fleshing today. Hoping to get a few more tomorrow. I'm planning to open 2 new bait stations next week. I didn't caught any coyote with mange yet this season but 9 with shoulder mites.

Question for you guys, do you keep your coyotes who have shoulder mites ? Do you take the time to skin and flesh them ? Last year I sent few on the May auction and I receive between 24 and 40$ for them. So this year I kept almost all of them. I just threw away only the ones really bad.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck du Nord View Post
Question for you guys, do you keep your coyotes who have shoulder mites ? Do you take the time to skin and flesh them ? Last year I sent few on the May auction and I receive between 24 and 40$ for them. So this year I kept almost all of them. I just threw away only the ones really bad.
As a rule I don’t put up any with noticeable shoulder mites. I have put up coyotes that were weak shoulders without knowing until after they are on the board though. They all grade Damaged and the most that i’ve Ever got was $30 or so.

There’s a market for those lower quality pelts though and I think that the buyers buying them are getting a great deal on them if they don’t need the shoulder portion. What’s it called......the grotze?
Old 12-23-2017, 07:53 PM
Banned

SNOW!