Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 09:07 PM

awesome picture and great your kid was there with you. that's an great deer.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 AM

Good work Shed, I posted on the wrong forum yesterday wondering about amount of snow. The forecast is for warmer temps so the snow may not be so crunchy but how deep? My wife and I go down for Thursday.
And Chet, that's one fine deer and memory, well done.
Doug
Old 12-05-2017, 11:13 AM

Congrats to all that connected and thanks for your kind words Gents.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
The forecast is for warmer temps so the snow may not be so crunchy but how deep? Doug
In the sheltered areas the snow might be 4 to 6 inches. There were some drifted trails that were more. In the more open areas it was melted down and very crusty / noisy.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:29 AM

Thanks 2. Is there still the reefer van for the Food Bank?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
Thanks 2. Is there still the reefer van for the Food Bank?
No reefer on site. They will get you names of process facilities for the food bank where you can take the deer for processing if you choose. Same rules -- needs heart, lungs, liver -- no gut shot, must be in good condition.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
I was drawn for the Muzzleloader season and brought my son along. We set our goal of trying to get a mature buck and it took us until day 3. This buck is a little too mature. I would love to know his age. We were really happy to get him and it was a great hunt to share together.

Thanks very much to everyone involved in putting that hunt on. When you think of the hours that are put in by many different people to allow us to enjoy our $30 tags, you feel a bit guilty about it.

Love your sons smile. And a wicked nice old buck. Congrats Chet. I will be in for the last rifle hunt with my 19 yr old. He has been joining me out hunting since he was 4 ish. Hoping he can tag a good buck to compliment the moose he got in Nov.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the update, I hope to contribute to the harvest next week.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I was drawn for the Muzzleloader season and brought my son along. We set our goal of trying to get a mature buck and it took us until day 3. This buck is a little too mature. I would love to know his age. We were really happy to get him and it was a great hunt to share together.

Thanks very much to everyone involved in putting that hunt on. When you think of the hours that are put in by many different people to allow us to enjoy our $30 tags, you feel a bit guilty about it.

That is an awesome buck. I would rather have that then a 180" typical. Nice work.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:22 PM

any update on the start of the first rifle season?
I think it ends today?
Old 12-05-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
I think it ends today?
It should end tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
I think it ends today?
End of day 1 rifle
14bull moose,18 cow
22 MD (17 bucks)
11 WT (7 bucks)
Didn't notice the elk count but I did see one nice 6x6 at checkout yesterday

We saw 50 deer yesterday mostly does and small bucks, a lot were in no go zones
Old 12-06-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
End of day 1 rifle
14bull moose,18 cow
22 MD (17 bucks)
11 WT (7 bucks)
Didn't notice the elk count but I did see one nice 6x6 at checkout yesterday

We saw 50 deer yesterday mostly does and small bucks, a lot were in no go zones
wow almost as many moose as deer on day 1
Old 12-06-2017, 09:41 PM

Rifle Hunt #1

Deer: 100 Running Total:193
Bucks: 113 MUDE 26 WTDE
Moose: 52 Running Total: 93
Bulls: 38
Elk: 4 Running Total:6
Bulls:6

Good harvest for poor hunting conditions (loud snow and lots of wind Tues).

Biggest animals: MUDE 200 class Typ, WTDE mid-170s Non-Typ, Moose 50" and Elk 300+

S
Old 12-06-2017, 09:47 PM

Great Job Shedcrazy! Awesome Buck Chet!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Nice buck and so awesome you were able to bring your son. He will remember that forever. I have similar experiences and memories with my son there.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:30 PM

Damn, that 200" mulie had my name on it...
Old 12-07-2017, 08:33 AM

Default 1st rifle season

It was a gong show with with people hunting in closed areas because they either can't read a map or didn't care.Three vehicles from Sask + MB taking over 1/2 the moose and driving into foot access only areas.Saw moose daily but 95% of the deer were staying in the closed areas where some people were still shooting and actively hunting them. Deer were very spooky and didn't hang out long for a second look.We covered the entire legal area in 3 days ,some on foot and some cruising.Many didn't wear the required orange or red clothing.Perhaps the muzzle loader season is more productive with less insanity but personally I won't be returning.Last morning my son wacked his two antlerless mule deer and we left.The biologists,military personal and F+W were fine but some of the crowd were not.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:53 AM

Exclamation Wainwright Native Harvest

I was told that the base was opened up to other peoples who perhaps didn't hold the draw authorization (similar to what was allowed at Suffield several years ago and hundreds of elk were harvested there). Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true and if so, are the managers of the hunt tracking the number, species etc. of all animals harvested by this group that don't require the appropriate draw(s).
Also, if this is the case, are these groups subjected to the same rules as the holders of the draw authorizations (such as wearing red or scarlett, no off-road travel in the annex except to retrieve harvested animals etc.).
I believe this hunt has been going on for over 35 years and I commend our Fish and Wildlife for monitoring and managing this wonderful opportunity to produce the quality experience that we have enjoyed up to this point. I am concerned about the future of this hunt if we experience a large harvest of animals like what occurred in Suffield. Seems to me that our Provincial F&W Officials have limited authority on lands that are Federally owned and that decisions are often being made in Ottawa.
I would appreciate any information that anyone could provide. Thanks
Old 12-07-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
It was a gong show with with people hunting in closed areas because they either can't read a map or didn't care.Three vehicles from Sask + MB taking over 1/2 the moose and driving into foot access only areas.Saw moose daily but 95% of the deer were staying in the closed areas where some people were still shooting and actively hunting them. Deer were very spooky and didn't hang out long for a second look.We covered the entire legal area in 3 days ,some on foot and some cruising.Many didn't wear the required orange or red clothing.Perhaps the muzzle loader season is more productive with less insanity but personally I won't be returning.Last morning my son wacked his two antlerless mule deer and we left.The biologists,military personal and F+W were fine but some of the crowd were not.
Agree completely that for some reason this hunt really seems to bring out the worst in hunters. Morning day 1 sitting on a knoll watching a scrape line I found truck starts approaching I stand up so he can see me drives right past across country and along the tree line I was watching. Decide to go glass the ravines along the river as I am getting ready truck pulls up in my mind I am thinking oh boy here we go this time truck stops we have a conversation nice guy I point the direction I am planning on walking out onto a ridge. He says ok good luck wish him the same. He then proceeded to drive around my truck and out onto he ridge where I just said I was going to walk. Day two I went to the archery only area just to get away from the chaos. It’s unfortunate because the people running the hunt put a lot of work into it and are frankly treated disrespectfully by a lot of the people they allow in. It has a tonne of potential but is ruined by idiots. Personally I feel that they are allowing two many people on at a time even the walk in only areas are crowded this creates a me first competitive attitude. Should also not allow vehicles off the named roads except to recover game. Will I go again yeah but only because i live here so don’t really have to take time off work or get a hotel etc and it’s a opportunity to put more deer in the freezer.

Thanks to the people who work the hunt I couldn’t put up with what you do and not lose my mind.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
So were F&W dealing with the offenders? I have hunted at Wainwright five or six times previously and there were far fewer issues than there were when I was at Suffield a couple of years ago. As for half of the moose being taken in three vehicles, that is too bad, you can't effectively regulate a harvest unless you regulate all participants.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So were F&W dealing with the offenders? I have hunted at Wainwright five or six times previously and there were far fewer issues than there were when I was at Suffield a couple of years ago. As for half of the moose being taken in three vehicles, that is too bad, you can't effectively regulate a harvest unless you regulate all participants.
I heard at least one person was handcuffed and lead away by the MP's.

LC
Old 12-07-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
From the sounds of things there where some fines handed out and potentially one criminal charge. Edit to clarify none of that had to do with the out of province vehicles and three trucks the apparently left with a bunch of moose. This is actually the first I heard about that.

Last edited by Freerider; 12-07-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBLER FANATIC View Post
I was told that the base was opened up to other peoples who perhaps didn't hold the draw authorization (similar to what was allowed at Suffield several years ago and hundreds of elk were harvested there). Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true and if so, are the managers of the hunt tracking the number, species etc. of all animals harvested by this group that don't require the appropriate draw(s).
Also, if this is the case, are these groups subjected to the same rules as the holders of the draw authorizations (such as wearing red or scarlett, no off-road travel in the annex except to retrieve harvested animals etc.).
I believe this hunt has been going on for over 35 years and I commend our Fish and Wildlife for monitoring and managing this wonderful opportunity to produce the quality experience that we have enjoyed up to this point. I am concerned about the future of this hunt if we experience a large harvest of animals like what occurred in Suffield. Seems to me that our Provincial F&W Officials have limited authority on lands that are Federally owned and that decisions are often being made in Ottawa.
Yup same rules, all kills on the bases are recorded as far as I know.

LC
Old 12-07-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I heard at least one person was handcuffed and lead away by the MP's.

LC

good to hear.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I can answer a few of the questions and some answers you should ask the powers that be. Plus this topic would be great in another thread. First Nations hunters are allowed on base and have been for several years. They must follow all the same rules (hunt days, hunt times, proper weapon, safety brief, wear orange, register kills, CWD, etc). Their harvest is limited by hunter as this is still a management hunt not a herd reduction hunt. Legally they are allowed both the access and the harvest due to our legal system.

FN hunters are no where near half the moose harvest but have taken animals (moose, elk and deer), all have been recorded and part of the running totals. They have also taken animals that were shot and left by licenced hunters instead of being wasted.

There has been charges and there has been lots of embarrassing behaviour already on this base hunt from all types of hunters. Like I said in another thread all hunters should work a day at a check station and I think a lot of opinions would change.

Again I would like to just keep this to a running total thread. Maybe start another one on this topic as I see this going sideways and being locked.

I won't start a new one on either topic

S
Old 12-07-2017, 12:23 PM

Biggest mulie I’ve seen come out of camp wainwright this year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3C71A6E9-E0FA-4FBC-BCA5-4D0372A11813.jpg (27.6 KB, 823 views)
Old 12-07-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
Biggest mulie I’ve seen come out of camp wainwright this year
Biggest mule deer out of there in MANY years.

LC
Old 12-07-2017, 05:33 PM

We were there the first 2 days of 1st rifle and completely agree with a couple of earlier comments. The behavior of some is unbelievable, never seen such a lack of consideration of others. To think that some people that are serious enough hunters to have several years priority would know how behave and show common courtesy. Having said that, I will be back, I have been there several times and this is the first time I have seen that kind of behavior, hopefully it is the last.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:36 PM

Default Deer numbers

On a positive note. Deer numbers are up on the base this year according to the biologist. Second rifle hunt underway and game harvest numbers are almost at last year totals with 3 rifle hunts remaining.
Still holding my 2 deer tags, see what tomorrow brings. Good luck