Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Musta seen that CM and run for their lives
And while your at it, because you seem to want to call me out for it, can you post my recommendation for the CM on game?

-Billy Molls
Old 12-03-2018, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Okay let's try an easy explanation. If I gave you the choice of getting hit with a baseball bat made of balsa wood or one made of Maple (same guy swinging both) Wich would you choose? This making sense at all?
Seen 5 Grizz one day in k-country. If you chase sheep and mountain elk you’re no stranger to grizz sightings. I rarely found a drainage where there wasn’t fresh sign or I saw one. Rarely. Only got out once this year to show an old friend what sheep look like on a mountain. Found him two rams and a wolf but not legal and wolf was in a park. Anyway, I spent a few years solo camping for 6 day stretches in the same place with a bear that the guy got attacked recently while eating his breakfast and sadly a few years prior to that I walked out a guy that that bear chewed up his tent and kept him up all night running him out of there next morning. I never had an encounter luckily but we knew each other was there. I also met Rick Cross the year he got his nephew(I believe nephew?) when they got that ram together, was part of that day. I also saw Rick the night before he was killed by a grizzly, we both slept in our trucks the night before the opener and hiked different drainages in the am. I came out, he didn’t. At least I’m positive I saw him pass me just before bedtime and looking for our place to sleep it out before home time. I’ve spent my time, never had to shoot one and in fact haven’t had any close encounters but I hunt alone and I’m paranoid so I’m not very quiet, I don’t want a surprise. I don’t want those experiences, I act as though I could run into a bear anywhere anytime all the time. Been in on about 8 sheep, three my own. Lots of elk etc.

There’s a few pros that keep judging but most of it isn’t even relevant to the discussion. Their own issues really.

Comparing a 6.5 cm to. 300 win mag is like attacking someone’s religion. Like the 300 wm is legend...May as well be the JC of cartridges. So I expect this...however...not afraid to put the actual data on paper despite the known barrage of attack. There is not a single thing wrong with the viewpoint presented. To think there’s a big difference between increasing the diameter of a needle by a few percent as compared to the something the size of the quilt you’re pushing it through is hard to explain due to the previous institutions. Not trying to dethrone anything here, just educate what seems so obvious to those trusting the numbers that actually gave some of these things the reputations they have. We just weren’t sure exactly what numbers did what they did. We know more now. I just presented a different way to see that. 1/4” needle or 1/3” needle to a 10 square foot quilt is really that big a deal eh? The quilt can tell? No...that needle with same velocity and sd is going the same distance.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:21 PM
Banned

At least have the respect to get a name right on here...are you in grade 7? We must be beyond this no?
Old 12-03-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
At least have the respect to get a name right on here...are you in grade 7? We must be beyond this no?
I’m assuming he friends with a mod...... only thing I can think of. It’s really getting old, in fact he even went posting this garbage in other threads just to get a rise out of this one.
I really hope he is a 13 year old kid and his parents are out for the evening.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Seen 5 Grizz one day in k-country. If you chase sheep and mountain elk you’re no stranger to grizz sightings. I rarely found a drainage where there wasn’t fresh sign or I saw one. Rarely. Only got out once this year to show an old friend what sheep look like on a mountain. Found him two rams and a wolf but not legal and wolf was in a park. Anyway, I spent a few years solo camping for 6 day stretches in the same place with a bear that the guy got attacked recently while eating his breakfast and sadly a few years prior to that I walked out a guy that that bear chewed up his tent and kept him up all night running him out of there next morning. I never had an encounter luckily but we knew each other was there. I also met Rick Cross the year he got his nephew(I believe nephew?) when they got that ram together, was part of that day. I also saw Rick the night before he was killed by a grizzly, we both slept in our trucks the night before the opener and hiked different drainages in the am. I came out, he didn’t. At least I’m positive I saw him pass me just before bedtime and looking for our place to sleep it out before home time. I’ve spent my time, never had to shoot one and in fact haven’t had any close encounters but I hunt alone and I’m paranoid so I’m not very quiet, I don’t want a surprise. I don’t want those experiences, I act as though I could run into a bear anywhere anytime all the time. Been in on about 8 sheep, three my own. Lots of elk etc.

There’s a few pros that keep judging but most of it isn’t even relevant to the discussion. Their own issues really.

Comparing a 6.5 cm to. 300 win mag is like attacking someone’s religion. Like the 300 wm is legend...May as well be the JC of cartridges. So I expect this...however...not afraid to put the actual data on paper despite the known barrage of attack. There is not a single thing wrong with the viewpoint presented. To think there’s a big difference between increasing the diameter of a needle by a few percent as compared to the something the size of the quilt you’re pushing it through is hard to explain due to the previous institutions. Not trying to dethrone anything here, just educate what seems so obvious to those trusting the numbers that actually gave some of these things the reputations they have. We just weren’t sure exactly what numbers did what they did. We know more now. I just presented a different way to see that. 1/4” needle or 1/3” needle to a 10 square foot quilt is really that big a deal eh? The quilt can tell? No...that needle with same velocity and sd is going the same distance.
How be that i ask you I ask you provide a reliable reference to that "fact" ..

Use bullets,not needles or friends, or things you heard.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:38 PM

Wink S.D. is everything!

Now I get it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.5 143gr ELDX.jpg (31.1 KB, 77 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-03-2018, 08:41 PM

http://www.fredbear-online.com/POD/Momentum.pdf

Suggest you read ALL of this first if you plan on responding
Old 12-03-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
I’m assuming he friends with a mod...... only thing I can think of. .
Who we talking here? Need to narrow it down
Old 12-03-2018, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
http://www.fredbear-online.com/POD/Momentum.pdf

Suggest you read ALL of this first if you plan on responding
Did you happen to read Stinkys moose thread? I didn’t notice you post on it that I can remember?

Anyhow, just curious if you caught that one.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Who we talking here? Need to narrow it down

Xbolt7mm
Old 12-03-2018, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Xbolt7mm
You guys all gotta relax, there is nothing going to be said in this thread that has not been said in the last three. I’m sure most of you all know that. SC is correct on the SD then elk is correct about SD as the bullet expands as well as the size of the wound channel, someone else was correct on the foot lbs, yada yada yada, same stuff as on the other half dozen CM threads. Ya know if it was like the 243 threads that used to pop up every few months thats cool but really guys 1-2 days apart week after week, no one here hates the cartridge (or charging grizzlies) just the way these threads go about it. I’m sure the stuff i posted bugs some as well as the pro CM bugs others. Stinky knew exactly what would happen as soon as he started the thread simply by the title alone. but for the love of hunting guys, this is going no where. Bash away

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 12-03-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Waving my D*ck around about bears and time spent with them. Has no relevance to original post or anything else.

Pointless nonsense to call myself a pro.

Something about religion. Making broad comparisons, and an ironic statement about a blanket (while making blanket statements). **No...that needle with same momentum and sd is going the same distance**
Shortened this one up for you. Sorry you had to type so much to get that across.

PS I helped you make a more correct statement at the end. It works in a simplified world now at least!
Old 12-03-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
You guys all gotta relax, there is nothing going to be said in this thread that has not been said in the last three. I’m sure most of you all know that. SC is correct on the SD then elk is correct about SD as the bullet expands as well as the size of the wound channel, someone else was correct on the foot lbs, yada yada yada, same stuff as on the other half dozen CM threads. Ya know if it was like the 243 threads that used to pop up every few months thats cool but really guys 1-2 days apart week after week, no one here hates the cartridge (or charging grizzlies) just the way these threads go about it. I’m sure the stuff i posted bugs some as well as the pro CM bugs others, but for the love of hunting guys, this is going no where. Bash away
I take it mom and dad came home...., it’s about time.....
Old 12-03-2018, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
I take it mom and dad came home...., it’s about time.....
After all that, thats all you got? Your only posts on this thread are about me and yet you judge, chuck, Kurt and stinky at least have a dog in the race and jump on me accordingly and acceptable.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Did you happen to read Stinkys moose thread? I didn’t notice you post on it that I can remember?

Yes, i saw that.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:17 PM

At how many yards does each round drop below 2000 foot pounds of energy?
Old 12-03-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
After all that, thats all you got? Your only posts on this thread are about me and yet you judge, chuck, Kurt and stinky at least have a dog in the race and jump on me accordingly and acceptable.
So have you come up with my big game recommendations for the Creedmoor yet? I don’t mind being called names or being called out, but at least have the courtesy to back it up.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-03-2018, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
So have you come up with my big game recommendations for the Creedmoor yet? I don’t mind being called names or being called out, but at least have the courtesy to back it up.
please re read the above threads and point out where I called you out or called you names
Old 12-03-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
I usually don’t contribute to threads like this because I really don’t appreciate 13 year olds flapping there mouth and confusion what I said with what they believe.
But I will contribute.
I have shot the 260 Rem (not the CM) long enough to see the benefits of it, I have also had my fair share of flings with various magnums to also realize there benefits as well. I’m not a long range hunter so all this really means nothing to me, the difference of any of these rounds to 300 yards isn’t much. I’m old and not much of a magnum guy anymore.
I also think the relation between SD & penetration means absolutely nothing with today’s bullets.
Sometimes, most of you are saying the same thing but in different themes, and argue about it. Makes me laugh.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Keep the crap to the PM’s
I think it’s a pretty legitimate request.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-03-2018, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
I usually don’t contribute to threads like this because I really don’t appreciate 13 year olds flapping there mouth and confusion what I said with what they believe.
But I will contribute.
I have shot the 260 Rem (not the CM) long enough to see the benefits of it, I have also had my fair share of flings with various magnums to also realize there benefits as well. I’m not a long range hunter so all this really means nothing to me, the difference of any of these rounds to 300 yards isn’t much. I’m old and not much of a magnum guy anymore.
I also think the relation between SD & penetration means absolutely nothing with today’s bullets.
Sometimes, most of you are saying the same thing but in different themes, and argue about it. Makes me laugh.
Which is exactly why I mock these threads with sarcasm
Old 12-03-2018, 09:33 PM
Banned

Does it really matter what the headstamp is?
Shouldn’t the main focus be to consistently hit the vitals?
If you can’t hit the vitals you probably shouldn’t be using a magnum
Old 12-03-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41thunder View Post
Does it really matter what the headstamp is?
Shouldn’t the main focus be to consistently hit the vitals?
If you can’t hit the vitals you probably shouldn’t be using a magnum
You read the epic 6.5 moose thread?? You know, the three shot grouping of liver, ass, and horn?? Yeah magnum alright.........

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 12-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

Ya, saw that one. The one where he shot too far back, then shot it in the ass and then in the antler.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
You read the epic 6.5 moose thread?? You know, the three shot grouping of liver, ass, and horn?? Yeah magnum alright.........
And all at a whopping 125 yards...
Old 12-03-2018, 09:52 PM

Persevere ......... good.

Perseverate ........ bad.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Which is exactly why I mock these threads with sarcasm
Which is also why I let people with more knowledge about the subject post. As you can see I don’t have much on the subject so I don’t post. Most guys like me can and like to learn from the guys who regularly shoot long range.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrider View Post
At how many yards does each round drop below 2000 foot pounds of energy?
With the Hornady bullets listed by the op, the 147 grain CM is about 175 yards and the 200 grain 300 win mag chart maxed out at 500 yards and was still at 2066 ft lbs
Old 12-03-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Which is also why I let people with more knowledge about the subject post. As you can see I don’t have much on the subject so I don’t post. Most guys like me can and like to learn from the guys who regularly shoot long range.
This is exactly my distaste for the 6.5 fanboy's obsession.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 12-03-2018, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Yes, i saw that.
Pretty enlightening wouldn’t you agree?

There was a few who didn’t think a Creedmoor was a suitable deer cartridge let alone a moose cartridge.

I was present for 3 moose kills this fall and 2 deer and one elk. Rifles used (in order) were a 300wsm (moose running at approximately 150yds on first shot hit in the liver, made it about 80yds before stopping, a follow up shot in the lungs dropped it, then a third shot was taken from point blank to dispatch animal. Second one was a moose in the hump at approximately 200yds with a 300 win mag, it dropped on the spot but required a finishing shot from point blank. Next was a moose in the hump at 393yds with a 260rem, dropped in its tracks and also required a follow up shot from point blank range. Then onto deer season, sons buck shot in the neck from about 160yds with a 270 win, buck down right in its tracks, required a follow up shot from point blank to dispatch. Next was an elk, shot in the hind quarter at a ranged 427yds with a 300 win mag, second shot was through the front shoulders dropping the elk, a third shot was taken from point blank to dispatch animal. Last one I was present for was a deer, not ranged but estimated at around 300 yards, 280ai first shot was in the boiler room, deer stopped but did not fall over, second shot again in the boiler room, deer still did not tip over, third shot in the antler because shooter thought shots were hitting low, deer was quartering away so antler was in line with vitals, deer decided to lay down, no further shots were required.

Moral of the story, most of the people I know shoot 300 magnums, but they don’t kill any faster than a 260, 270, or a 280 on moose, deer or elk at ranges of 0-500yds. My son has a late season draw for elk so I will update the story in January when my son kills his elk, see how it matches up with the elk kill I was present for.

2 moose and one deer I watched drop in their tracks this fall, only one was hit by a magnum and as luck would have it, all 3 required a follow up shot from point blank. The only animal out of the six which did not require a follow up shot from point blank was shot by a 280. I’m not gonna say the 280 is the best big game cartridge in the world but.....

Last edited by Kurt505; 12-03-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Closed Thread