Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-28-2018, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
After reading this thread I’m actually quite surprised that I’ve been able to kill as much game as I have over the last forty years being that I’ve never owned a Creedmoor or even shot one. With already owning a few 6.5x55’s and 6.5-284 I’ve never felt the need for anything else.

Whether you love or hate the Creedmoor it is a very well designed cartridge that shoots high b.c bullets at moderate velocities. In my opinion there isn’t much game that couldn’t be shot with one.
It’s not the creedmore cartridge that people hate, its just a cartridge, an inanimate object. You are correct about the moderate velocities and the high bc’s but again the hate does not come from the actual round itself! Like someone said, “if It’s pointy its a point”

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 11-28-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
It’s not the creedmore

Bill Engvall said it best, “Here’s your sign”.

If you’re not trolling, what is it you’re up to? You’re right, If it’s pointy, it’s a point.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:20 AM

Kurt I think that a very large number and bigger that we realize on this forum do really like the 6.5 cm ,so as far as haters I really don't see many.Why would someone hate a cartridge .,

For some to say they hate a certain cartridge is utter nonsense,specially if you never tried one or owned one.I don't think there is a cartridge out there that I really dislike,some are just not on my list of ones I wish to use,but anyone of those not on my list if they were all I could afford would be my hunting cartridge and as simple as that.

AS for trolls or whatever they are just let it ride,there just very unhappy people who wish to make others unhappy or they don't realize what there doing.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:15 PM
Banned

JD, my first post on this thread was #184. It doesn’t matter what I post about it, there is always a handful of guys who’ll yap. If you go back to the very first time I mentioned Creedmoor you’ll see it was when I was ordering a short action rifle. I could care less about why someone likes their own rifle, I had a certain criteria I was after, number one was short action because of the model of rifle I was after, number two was barrel life because I wanted to put a lot of rounds through it, number three goes hand and hand with number two, lots of rounds means lots of shooting so low recoil was on my list as well. After about two months of research it was obvious that with the rising popularity of the Creedmoor it wasn’t going to go by the wayside any time soon. Having factory ammo on all the shelves was a bonus. Being so popular resale will be a snap as well.

A couple years ago a lot of members didn’t know much about the Creedmoor and even a couple months ago not many seemed to know much about the Creedmoor, most just figured it was the new fad, not a capable deer cartridge, let alone a moose cartridge. xbolt7mm is a prime example, but through these threads he’s changed his tune, as has many others.

I did my research on the Creedmoor, it’s twist rate, it’s ability to shoot the heavy for caliber, high BC bullets and knew it wasn’t just a fad. Trying to explain its merits to some people made them upset because they didn’t uderstand the numbers and facts, and used their heart to come up with their own set of false facts about the cartridge.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a great cartridge, not my favorite but it’s up there. Guys do hate it for the same reason other guys love it, because of performance and its popularity. It sure has taken the limelight off of a few cartridges in its class.

I do admit, there has been a few times I spoke about the Creedmoor in jest just to ruffle feathers.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:42 PM

And the wheels on the bus continue to go round and round............
Old 11-29-2018, 03:49 PM

I guess africa just annouced you can use the 6.5 creedmore on dangerous game.

pretty cool
Old 11-29-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
JD, my first post on this thread was #184. It doesn’t matter what I post about it, there is always a handful of guys who’ll yap. If you go back to the very first time I mentioned Creedmoor you’ll see it was when I was ordering a short action rifle. I could care less about why someone likes their own rifle, I had a certain criteria I was after, number one was short action because of the model of rifle I was after, number two was barrel life because I wanted to put a lot of rounds through it, number three goes hand and hand with number two, lots of rounds means lots of shooting so low recoil was on my list as well. After about two months of research it was obvious that with the rising popularity of the Creedmoor it wasn’t going to go by the wayside any time soon. Having factory ammo on all the shelves was a bonus. Being so popular resale will be a snap as well.

A couple years ago a lot of members didn’t know much about the Creedmoor and even a couple months ago not many seemed to know much about the Creedmoor, most just figured it was the new fad, not a capable deer cartridge, let alone a moose cartridge. xbolt7mm is a prime example, but through these threads he’s changed his tune, as has many others.

I did my research on the Creedmoor, it’s twist rate, it’s ability to shoot the heavy for caliber, high BC bullets and knew it wasn’t just a fad. Trying to explain its merits to some people made them upset because they didn’t uderstand the numbers and facts, and used their heart to come up with their own set of false facts about the cartridge.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a great cartridge, not my favorite but it’s up there. Guys do hate it for the same reason other guys love it, because of performance and its popularity. It sure has taken the limelight off of a few cartridges in its class.

I do admit, there has been a few times I spoke about the Creedmoor in jest just to ruffle feathers.
My 260 AI was a pioneering precursor to the Creed. The chamber is throated for the long bullets to maximize the case capacity as well the magazine is a custom piece of work allowing me to seat the bullets way out there. Optics have greatly reduced the value of muzzle velocity and with that the need to get the snot kicked out of you or barrels burned up in search of that velocity. Years ago, I realized that I didn’t like recoil and could see what it did to my shooting. I like the 260 AI and Creed and the other dozen or so similarly recoiling cartridges I have and really enjoy the civilized afternoons on my range shooting them. Shoot what you like whatever the cartridge might be but I’ll throw this out there. How much fewer wounded and missed game would there be if more folks shot a gun, they enjoyed shooting?
Old 11-29-2018, 04:03 PM

Soo true!! This thread makes me laugh
Old 11-29-2018, 04:24 PM

I liked the old artical i read 40 years ago

Find a cartrage, rifle, and sights you can work with,,, get good at shooting it,,, then go kill $4it with it !

I don't think it was Jack who wrote those words. Ha

Old 11-29-2018, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
My 260 AI was a pioneering precursor to the Creed. The chamber is throated for the long bullets to maximize the case capacity as well the magazine is a custom piece of work allowing me to seat the bullets way out there. Optics have greatly reduced the value of muzzle velocity and with that the need to get the snot kicked out of you or barrels burned up in search of that velocity. Years ago, I realized that I didn’t like recoil and could see what it did to my shooting. I like the 260 AI and Creed and the other dozen or so similarly recoiling cartridges I have and really enjoy the civilized afternoons on my range shooting them. Shoot what you like whatever the cartridge might be but I’ll throw this out there. How much fewer wounded and missed game would there be if more folks shot a gun, they enjoyed shooting?
I originally ordered my rifle in 260ai but after some serious thinking I decided to go with the Creedmoor for more practical reasons. Resale was a factor for sure, not everyone reloads and if I decided I’d need more power I have other rifles to fill that spot. I kind of still wish I got the 260ai because I have the same type of rifle in 280ai, would have been a neat pair.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I originally ordered my rifle in 260ai but after some serious thinking I decided to go with the Creedmoor for more practical reasons. Resale was a factor for sure, not everyone reloads and if I decided I’d need more power I have other rifles to fill that spot. I kind of still wish I got the 260ai because I have the same type of rifle in 280ai, would have been a neat pair.
Absolutley! When the Creed came out my 260AI became an anchor. That I'll never part with! But why reload and go to the expese of the custom rifle when you can buy the gun and ammo across the counter. Unless you love to tinker.....
Old 11-29-2018, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Absolutley! When the Creed came out my 260AI became an anchor. That I'll never part with! But why reload and go to the expese of the custom rifle when you can buy the gun and ammo across the counter. Unless you love to tinker.....
That’s exactly it. I walked into Neerlandia Co-op, bought 3 or 4 different types of ammo, turns out my rifle liked the $25 140gr federal non-typical’s! Talk about a pleasant surprise. I like to tinker..... sometimes. Other times it’s nice to grab and go.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:27 PM

Just chambered another 6.5 creed 2 days ago, shot factory horn pre ision hunter 143 eldx 5 shot groups between .120 and .4 moa, off a bipod and rear bag. One thing guys seem to be missing is that one big benefit is being able to run 140 class bullets in an aics magazine. To do that in a short action in my 260ai i am crowding powder column. Every creed i have built has shot incredibly well. Their are lots of companies offering good quality brass for it. Im not a huge creed fanboy but i cant deny that it works well, and is inherantly accurate.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 11-29-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Neerlandia Co-op,

The Creed is taking over! They are literally EVERYWHERE now! LOL!!
Old 11-29-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
Just chambered another 6.5 creed 2 days ago, shot factory horn pre ision hunter 143 eldx 5 shot groups between .120 and .4 moa, off a bipod and rear bag. One thing guys seem to be missing is that one big benefit is being able to run 140 class bullets in an aics magazine. To do that in a short action in my 260ai i am crowding powder column. Every creed i have built has shot incredibly well. Their are lots of companies offering good quality brass for it. Im not a huge creed fanboy but i cant deny that it works well, and is inherantly accurate.
This is what drives me insane about the whole thing. It has a LOT more plus’s than otherwise but apparently “it doesn’t do anything my (insert any cartridge here) does. Complete ignorance in action is all it is.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-29-2018, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This is what drives me insane about the whole thing. It has a LOT more plus’s than otherwise but apparently “it doesn’t do anything my (insert any cartridge here) does. Complete ignorance in action is all it is.
It’s kinda like A guy that tells you his fishing lure is better than yours and continually does it, you go to the store and see it but there is no way you will buy it. It’s not because the lure is no good and you dont hate the lure, your just tired of hearing all the crap about it from the same guys that wont let it go. Your correct that it is a good cartridge, as are others but your fishing talk is a discredit to the lure is all.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:09 PM
Banned

Is it just me or is Alberta the old boys club of North America? Stubborn, old school, the last to get on board? Painful AF!
Old 11-29-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Is it just me or is Alberta the old boys club of North America? Stubborn, old school, the last to get on board? Painful AF!
I’m more of the,”it’s just a rifle cartridge” kinda guy.

Such passion over nothing... lol
Old 11-29-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
It’s just you .
Cat
Old 11-29-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post

X2
Old 11-29-2018, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
If it was all of North America, id vote for Alabama, Texas or Montana, not Alberta
Old 11-29-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
It’s kinda like A guy that tells you his fishing lure is better than yours and continually does it, you go to the store and see it but there is no way you will buy it. It’s not because the lure is no good and you dont hate the lure, your just tired of hearing all the crap about it from the same guys that wont let it go. Your correct that it is a good cartridge, as are others but your fishing talk is a discredit to the lure is all.
You are trying to read way more into it. You act like you have some obligation to defend the other side. Discuss something else you feel you can contribute to instead.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-29-2018, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:

X3
Old 11-29-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Some would say the same thing about guns and hunting in general.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-29-2018, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are trying to read way more into it. You act like you have some obligation to defend the other side. Discuss something else you feel you can contribute to instead.
No passion either way i guess, just trying to understand your fishing habits and be your friend Charlie
Old 11-29-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
No passion either way i guess, just trying to understand your fishing habits and be your friend Charlie
You are trying to stir the pot.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-29-2018, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are trying to stir the pot.
No way Charlie, i even used a hug emoji and i truly ment it, put your anger in a bubble and bloooooooow it all away friend
Old 11-29-2018, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
It’s just you .
Cat
That's fair, pretty broad brush stroke and certainly doesn't apply to everyone but where else do threads like this happen?
Old 11-29-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Some would say the same thing about guns and hunting in general.
Hunting is an experience. There are too many cartridges nowadays that are borderline redundant where debating them makes no sense. Some just like to argue though. I remember when I was in my twenties and reloading for 9 or 10 cartridges and always having my nose in a reloading manual 7 days a week. Even bringing them to work at times. Lol

I want that time back. Lol
Old 11-29-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
That's fair, pretty broad brush stroke and certainly doesn't apply to everyone but where else do threads like this happen?
AO is just a small cross section of all Albertans who hunt and competivly target shoot .
Also, of all the members registered a very small portion have actually participated in those threads .
Cat