Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Banned

Did you ever notice there seems to be 3 types of people...give or take.

There's those that can figure out on their own that sticking a fork in an electrical outlet is a bad thing.

Then there's those that are smart enough that they can figure it out by seeing someone else do it.

Then...well...there's those people that just gotta stick that damn fork in the outlet themselves.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:21 PM

Default Disarm the masses???

First of , it's not a clip, it's a magazine. Clips are for your hair. If you are a hunter there is no reason to have more than 4 rounds chambered. No way you are going to get off more than one maybe two shots before , prey hi tails it out and good luck hitting a moving target.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevill View Post
First of , it's not a clip, it's a magazine. Clips are for your hair. If you are a hunter there is no reason to have more than 4 rounds chambered. No way you are going to get off more than one maybe two shots before , prey hi tails it out and good luck hitting a moving target.
Ever call in multiple coyotes at a set?

Didn't think so.

As per the bold how many barrels does your gun have

Sure you dont mean more than 4 rounds in your "clip"?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
good luck hitting a moving target.
Some of us can.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 08-02-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Some of us can.
my thoughts too. in fact, good practice coming up at rifle rodeo, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Ever call in multiple coyotes at a set?

Didn't think so.
I agree.

Having only 4 rounds and 5 or 6 coyotes coming in could be a problem. No time to reload in this instance.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Savage and some other companies call their magazines clips.
Cat
Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
If you are a hunter there is no reason to have more than 4 rounds chambered.
I often have two rounds chambered in my o/u guns, but how do you have four rounds chambered in a hunting gun?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Savage and some other companies call their magazines clips.
Cat
Actually lots of companies and people do.....pretty commonly used....enough that people know what you are talking about anyhow....lol
Old 08-02-2012, 08:55 PM

Banning guns or high capacity magazines does nothing to stop crime, very rarely are guns that are used in crimes acquired legally. Just look at James Rozsko in Mayerthorpe; he had a prohibited rifle he had gotten illegally.Fact is the safest places in the U.S to live in are the states with the fewest gun laws and the least restrictive concealed carry laws. if you want of example of how well gun control works just look at Britian and there skyrocketing crime rate. Guns are an easy scapegoat for governments to blame crime on and the bleeding hearts in our society eat up anything that the media and government tells them.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 AM

The sad thing is, this image pretty much nailed it as far as terrible media reporting and uninformed individuals go... Just thought I'd add a chuckle...

I know I'd love to have an AR platform rifle for 'yotes.
And spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:43 AM

priceless!

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnykid View Post

The sad thing is, this image pretty much nailed it as far as terrible media reporting and uninformed individuals go... Just thought I'd add a chuckle...

I know I'd love to have an AR platform rifle for 'yotes.
Couldn't agree more. What a shame and a waste of a firearm that it can only be used at a range. I have a .22 upper for mine as well and would like nothing more than to be able to point it at a few gophers.

My DPMS Oracle 'AK-47' with .22 upper

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

Last edited by Rod1960; 08-03-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:23 PM

Default How to decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper View Post
The great thing about democracy is we have the right to express our opinion. I am a hunter and I own several hunting rifles and shotguns, I am a trap shooter I own a trap gun I am a target shooter and own hand guns as well. I don't have a problem with registering my restricted guns and only use them at a range that is the law. I will restate my point I do not believe we need to be selling assault style rifles to just anyone, hunters and sportsman have zero use for a magazine capacity exceeding four rounds. Having said that I am fine with those guns being classified as restricted where mandatory registration is required. Using an assault rifle at a range classified as restricted works for me.

Sorry guys, I may be taking a differnt path with respect to this issue but I am never going to just jump on a bandwagon and support the masses. The gun ownership issue is complicated, in my mind I cannot justify why people need assault styled rifles and high magazine capacities other than taget shooting. Assault rifles are designed to kill people, they are not designed for game, and frankly with all the purpose built rifles designed for hunting why would anyone even want an assault rifle.

Now before the next round of burning me at the stake, this is just my opinion, you don't have to agree with me, but please respect my democratic right to my opinion. I will most certainly respect your opinion and your right to that opinion and I am not going to ridicule you for having your opinion. We are not all ever going to agree 100% on anything.

Respectfully
Didn't you hear? About 3(?) years ago some maniac with a trap and duck shooting death machine ran amok and killed 13 in England IIRC. Of course after already strict gun control. Let's outlaw all those deadly sxs and ou. Lack of "big" magazines were apparently no obstacle.

Designed to kill? No, really? That's kind of the point, they all kill. What's with all the tip-toeing around with it. Your "4 rounders" kill just the same, and at probably longer distance.

Take a walk with me down all too real "imaginary lane".:

You live at the end of a dirt road, oh about a 20 minute drive if you know where you are going. If you don't; good luck! You're out of town, again, working on a big deal in the States. Your wife, just about to turn in for the night, takes a last look around the yard when she notices a strange truck pull into the driveway. Visitors at this hour would be very unusual. A little nervous now she picks up the phone. Just in case. The truck doors open and 3 large men spill out in an avalanche of curses and beer cans. One carrying a crowbar, another a rifle, and the other adjusts something on his belt. Now frantic, she calls 911 quickly. The operator asking directions and telling her to stay on the line... Sizing up the situation, she realizes in a panic that the cops will never get there in time. Reaching the safe, she pulls out the scariest gun she sees in there.....

Now how many rounds is she allowed?

Maybe not a good shot on the best day, she knows for certain that she could be raped, or worse. How many shots will she need for each one? Are they on PCP or meth? Bath salts, acid? Can they feel pain or just rage?

Oh, and good thing we can't pack those scary .45s into the woods on our hip.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:27 PM

well said tactical. the sad part is, it's not all that much of a dream these days, lee

2. #1 is true.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:00 PM

I agree. Watch the video AGAIN about Australia and Britain and their firearms bans. thats whats coming if people don't stand together against these initiatives.

GOVERNMENTS WORK FOR THE PEOPLE, NOT the other way around.

Also, the US Constitutions second amendment is not their for people to 'just own guns for hunting', it was written in as a guarantee to have a population ready to take a government OUT of power if that government became an overpowered, armed tyrannical bunch. Americans are given the RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS so they CAN meet that army/military with enough force to remove them if the government starts to think it knows better than the people who voted them in to do AS THEY wanted them to.

THAT is why they have their second amendment. The founding fathers looked back in history from all over the world and knew it would happen over and over again. It really was radical but insightful perception & the US constitution is a brilliantly written piece of governance.

Here is what happens. It starts with magazine limits, ends up with no firearms at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGVAQOUi6ec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15KLhgZaRvc

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=49e_1343007318

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
yup, brilliant thinking.
i'm a hunter , i see no need for a handgun with a barrel shorter than 4";
and now no one can buy or use one unless you were lucky enough to be grandfathered.
i'm a hunter; i see no reason to own a hand gun; anyone that wants one should have to jump through twice as many hoops as me, and only be able to use them at approved ranges.
i'm a hunter; i see no reason for a magazine to hold more than 4 rounds at a time.
i'm a hunter, i only shoot 6 rounds a year, i see no need for any one to have more than one box of ammo for the gun they have locked up in the house at one time.
i'm a hunter, and i live in the city. i see no reason why any one would need to have a firearm any where except trigger locked in a safe in a locked room in their house, unless they were hunting.
the erosion of our rights and freedoms are to kiss goodbye, one at a time, as the government bodies chip away at them a little at a time, one 'minority' at a time.
i have no desire in owning a glock, ak47, or longbow for that matter. does that mean i should stand by and watch fellow sportsman who do be stripped of the privilege of owning them if the powers that be deem it so?
absolutely not!
the 'community' better start sticking together on some of this stuff; one day you will be in the 'minority', and ripe for the picking, lee

Last edited by Coho911; 08-03-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Banned

A japanese commander once said that it would be unwise to invade America as their would be a gun behind every blade of grass. Now, that is National Security at it's best, because if the government can't stand up to the plate, the people will.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
His post was no more ridiculous than you using the argument that a gun toting lawbreaker might have had the courage and opportunity to save innocent lives by shooting the movie theater murderer if he happened to be slow in changing magazines.
Come on ELK get your head out of the sand....the guy called me a NAZI supporter, I mean really I do not have the same opinion as him and he calls me a NAZI supporter, can you really endorse that behavior, do you really stand behind this guys comments, Elk I honestly thought you were not void of wisdom......but for you to back up a person that calls some one a NAZI supporter for simply having a different opinion....if so that without any doubt speaks to the very character of a person.

If you are so blind that you cannot distinguish right from wrong, that you would stand beside a person who so flagrantly call another person a NAZI supporter for having a different opinion...

WOW
Old 08-03-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
So in reply to my post you say you respect my opinions. But you call Trakker282 an idiot/pinhead/nut job because he has opinions that differ from yours.

So a big thank you to scrapper for coming on here and showing us all his true colors.

Nothing like outing yourself for everyone to see.
He called me a NAZI supporter do you honestly support that. My god people are you all so cowardly that you you can't see the lunacy in that statement, do you all think people who have a different opinion than you are NAZI supporters.

Pile on guys I have broad shoulders, I am proud as hell to NOT stand with any other gun enthusiest that thinks it's OK for someone to use such a lunatic remark just because my opinion differs from his.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
He called me a NAZI supporter do you honestly support that. My god people are you all so cowardly that you you can't see the lunacy in that statement, do you all think people who have a different opinion than you are NAZI supporters.

Pile on guys I have broad shoulders, I am proud as hell to NOT stand with any other gun enthusiest that thinks it's OK for someone to use such a lunatic remark just because my opinion differs from his.
No, he didn't. But you have spun things to make it look that way, though. Spelling Nazi all in capitals, hoping people will fixate on that word alone. Good attempt at using a word that conjures images that people find abhorrent to try and make yourself look like the victim.

He asked if you supported Stalin, Hitler, the Kaiser, and China. He did not come out and say "Scrapper is a Nazi!" You did notice the question mark at the end of his sentence, didn't you?

As for people here being cowards, I highly doubt that. But I will let them answer for themselves.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:

His comment was offside.
Happens every time someone disagrees with "real" conservatives.

Funny part is so much of their own politics and social views comes right out of the play books of the same despots and dictators.
The other thing is... they seem to confuse communism and nazism....left and right.

Name calling and sarcasm... what some people resort to when they have nothing intellectually valid or worthwhile left to offer in a debate.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
No, he didn't. But you have spun things to make it look that way, though. Spelling Nazi all in capitals, hoping people will fixate on that word alone. Good attempt at using a word that conjures images that people find abhorrent to try and make yourself look like the victim.

He asked if you supported Stalin, Hitler, the Kaiser, and China. He did not come out and say "Scrapper is a Nazi!" You did notice the question mark at the end of his sentence, didn't you?

As for people here being cowards, I highly doubt that. But I will let them answer for themselves.
Yes he did.
Check out post 82.

He clearly inferred that the man is a brown shirt supporter and/or a few other things.
Sure technically he may have skirted actually saying it... but any resaonable person would understand the intent and the meaning of that statement within the context of the argument.

It was meant as a slight and as it was posed it left no doubt that his meaning was....Agree with me or you are one of these things.

Quit picking fly poop out of pepper.
It was wrong to say and it is wrong to sit here and pretend he didn't for the sake of scoring points in a worthless debate that started as a discussion of US domestic policy.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 08-03-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Yes he did.
Check out post 82.

He clearly inferred that the man is a brown shirt supporter and/or a few other things.
Sure technically he may have skirted actually saying it... but any resaonable person would understand the intent and the meaning of that statement within the context of the argument.

It was meant as a slight and as it was posed it left no doubt that his meaning was....Agree with me or you are one of these things.

Quit picking fly poop out of pepper.
It was wrong to say and it is wrong to sit here and pretend he didn't for the sake of scoring points in a worthless debate that started as a discussion of US domestic policy.
Twist peoples words? I DID NOT call him that, if I had this would be going elsewhere. I was compairing the current ideas of governments using little things, like disarming the populace, in the past to start taking away rights and freedoms bit by bit. Each one of those I named did that and it was not meant as an insult.

All it takes is for one man to misinterpret something and he can start a war that lasts for decades.
Anonymous
Old 08-04-2012, 01:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakker282 View Post
Twist peoples words? I DID NOT call him that, if I had this would be going elsewhere. I was compairing the current ideas of governments using little things, like disarming the populace, in the past to start taking away rights and freedoms bit by bit. Each one of those I named did that and it was not meant as an insult.
Well when you start throwing things like that out there... you might want to weigh your words a bit more carefully.

Guys throw stuff up online and people get their backs up....and it happens a LOT here.

It is to your credit that you cleared that up and I'm sure the other member will appreciate that.

For my part...no hard feelings (I hope) but when we write as we speak without benefit of facial expression, body language or the nuance that verbalizing provides... what you mean to say and what the other guys thinks you mean't to say...can be quite different.

Unfortunately.... some member say things like this and do mean it or refuse to clear the air.
So once again...good on you.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:18 AM

I fell that anyone who owns a vehicle with an engine that can produce more than 165HP, should be forced to turn in such vehicles.
After all what do you need that much power for??

Camping well you can buy a tent.

Hauling live stock(freight etc.), well you can get a special exemption from the Government and can only use that vehicle if there is a loaded trailer hooked up to it, with written permission form a Governement official outlining the purpose that you wish to haul such items, where you are hauling them, and only if the reasoning is listed as bonfide and valid.

After all if it reduces the amount of CO2 that enters the atmosphere by even 1 Tonne it is for the collective good!

Now think real hard, and insert any item you currently own, car, truck, trailer boat, sled, golf clubs, ski's...anything.

How does that differ from a firearm?
Any item you list can have a negative side to it, enviroment, greed, loss of life, anything.

Really do fireamrs differ from those items?

How would it make any of you feel if something you enjoy, that others may not understand, is taken away from you for nothing more than the greater good?

Sobering aint it!!!

There are no absolutes
Old 08-04-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The problem , of course, with this type of stance, is that the next thing to go is bolt actions.
if you don't believe me you can look at the restrictive laws in countries such as Australia- they even outlawed 22 semi autos!
I could care less myself for AR type rifles, SKS type semis, or anything else for that matter that is not a single shot falling block (unless it's a match rifle)

BUT- I will defend the rights of those that want to own them, hunt with them, and shoot them.
Cat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia

It is a slippery slope people, get your PAL/RPAL buy a handgun (even if you never intend to shoot it, it is a statement about your rights) and dont take for granted what you have here in Canada, but fight to increase them. My hunting buddies in Australia who dont live on farms basically can only hunt bolt action .22's (shot placement is paramount using a .22 to huint a 600Lb ball of muscle like a Western Red Kangaroo). Target shooting is not considered a "genuine reason" in MANY cases.

guns dont kill people, fathers with attractive daughters kill people.

"every bullet from a 30-06 is guided downrange by God himself" - Huntinstuff
Old 08-04-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I fell that anyone who owns a vehicle with an engine that can produce more than 165HP, should be forced to turn in such vehicles.
After all what do you need that much power for??

Camping well you can buy a tent.

Hauling live stock(freight etc.), well you can get a special exemption from the Government and can only use that vehicle if there is a loaded trailer hooked up to it, with written permission form a Governement official outlining the purpose that you wish to haul such items, where you are hauling them, and only if the reasoning is listed as bonfide and valid.

After all if it reduces the amount of CO2 that enters the atmosphere by even 1 Tonne it is for the collective good!

Now think real hard, and insert any item you currently own, car, truck, trailer boat, sled, golf clubs, ski's...anything.

How does that differ from a firearm?
Any item you list can have a negative side to it, enviroment, greed, loss of life, anything.

Really do fireamrs differ from those items?

How would it make any of you feel if something you enjoy, that others may not understand, is taken away from you for nothing more than the greater good?

Sobering aint it!!!
Happens on the first day of every month: TAXES.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakker282 View Post
So you support Stalin, Hitler, the Kaiser, China? Need I go on? Every country that has banned firearms suffered or suffers from an extremely high crime rate, mostly in the sense of inhumane acts BY the governement or an outside force.

Do we have enough RCMP/Sheriffs to watch everyone, is the Armed Forces able to keep us out of harms way? No offence to the guys on here from either but they can't be everywhere at the same time.

Not sure if you've noticed but Canadas population is growing along with all the other countries and, as expected, crimes too. I wouldn't mind being able to defend myself and those around me, even you, from morons that play god by carrying.
I twisted no words read it for yourself he clearly states and I quote" SO YOU SUPPORT STALIN, HITLER, THE KAISER,CHINA. That is not a question that is a statement clear and simple. Putting a question mark on a statement does not make it a question, if he was asking a question he would of said SO "DO" YOU SUPPORT............that is a question. The fact of the matter Hitler means NAZI any supporter of Hiltler support NAZI's. The comment was at the very least completely in appropriate, and insulting not just to me but to everyone
who fought in WW2 against the NAZI's. Besides the Hitler statement he mention Stalin, the Kaiser and China, what a completely insensitive remark. He lumped the Chinese in with Hitler. I am not sure if that is racism or just bold face bigotrie (spelling). How could any reasonable person insult the Chinese in such a way, China is a communist country not NAZI'S. Trakker owes me an apology he owes any person of Chinese decent an apology.

Trakker, and his three main supporters on this thread cannot plead ignorance by saying they do not associate Hitler with the NAZI's the whole world makes that association. Trakker has not PM'ed me an apology and I doubt he is man enough to do so. Let's face if a person insensitive enough to make such an insulting remark just because my opinion differs from his travels a different road than most of us.

\Back to my original point about his comment, while many on here promote sticking together, I and many others cannot stand with anyone that would so freely make such a remark or with anyone that supports a person that would make that remark, anyone reading this thread will clearly identify three others that backed up trakker and supported his remark. I could support the idea of banding together but until we can all agree that anyone who makes insulting hurtful insensitive comments making referance to Hitler of all people must be excluded there will be no banding together. The moderates, vetrans, and many other gun enthusiest just could never tolerate the author of such brutal remarks. Those remarks do nothing but devide us, exactly what the anti's would like to do, people like trakker make their job quite easy, he is actually helping the anti's by deviding us gun owners.

Time to move on, Trakker has taken this entire forum to a new low with his insulting remark. A public apology is what is needed here, hopefully in the future Trakker will learn using Hitler in any context does nothing but promote hate. Hitler sent millions of Jews to their deaths including women and children, how could anyone suggest a person is a Hitler supporter without intending the comment as being insulting, insensitive, and hurtful....

Last edited by scrapper; 08-04-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I twisted no words read it for yourself he clearly states and I quote" SO YOU SUPPORT STALIN, HITLER, THE KAISER,CHINA. That is not a question that is a statement clear and simple. Putting a question mark on a statement does not make it a question, if he was asking a question he would of said SO "DO" YOU SUPPORT............that is a question. The fact of the matter Hitler means NAZI any supporter of Hiltler support NAZI's. The comment was at the very least completely in appropriate, and insulting not just to me but to everyone
who fought in WW2 against the NAZI's. Besides the Hitler statement he mention Stalin, the Kaiser and China, what a completely insensitive remark. He lumped the Chinese in with Hitler. I am not sure if that is racism or just bold face bigotrie (spelling). How could any reasonable person insult the Chinese in such a way, China is a communist country not NAZI'S. Trakker owes me an apology he owes any person of Chinese decent an apology.

Trakker, and his three main supporters on this thread cannot plead ignorance by saying they do not associate Hitler with the NAZI's the whole world makes that association. Trakker has not PM'ed me an apology and I doubt he is man enough to do so. Let's face if a person insensitive enough to make such an insulting remark just because my opinion differs from his travels a different road than most of us.

\Back to my original point about his comment, while many on here promote sticking together, I and many others cannot stand with anyone that would so freely make such a remark or with anyone that supports a person that would make that remark, anyone reading this thread will clearly identify three others that backed up trakker and supported his remark. I could support the idea of banding together but until we can all agree that anyone who makes insulting hurtful insensitive comments making referance to Hitler of all people must be excluded there will be no banding together. The moderates, vetrans, and many other gun enthusiest just could never tolerate the author of such brutal remarks. Those remarks do nothing but devide us, exactly what the anti's would like to do, people like trakker make their job quite easy, he is actually helping the anti's by deviding us gun owners.

Time to move on, Trakker has taken this entire forum to a new low with his insulting remark. A public apology is what is needed here, hopefully in the future Trakker will learn using Hitler in any context does nothing but promote hate. Hitler sent millions of Jews to their deaths including women and children, how could anyone suggest a person is a Hitler supporter without intending the comment as being insulting, insensitive, and hurtful....
And here he goes again....now I know why his names SCRAPPER...
REPEAT: I DID NOT MEAN IT AS AN INSULT
Grow up Scrapper, you did twist my words.
The question was if you supported a GROUP of dictators ideals, not ONE dictators horrors.
I will NOT say it again!!!

Each of the dictators or the countries I named brought in some sort of gun registry or abolished firearms altogether. Lot of good its done for them, or anyone then, and now.
Of all the countries with firearms in major use Israel and Switzerland (and one or two others, but not sure which at the moment) have the right idea. Each family, with exceptions, should have at least one person or more in the household that knows how and has firearms to use. Only setback for those that don't like the military style rifles is that both Israel and Switzerland require that person have at least a few years in the military.

All it takes is for one man to misinterpret something and he can start a war that lasts for decades.
Anonymous
Old 08-05-2012, 12:10 AM

If i want a military style rifle with all the attachments,then i should be allowed to have one regardless of what any of you think. This includes a 30+ round magazine. Just because you don't need it or think its necessary does not mean we all agree. Why cant we just blame these idiots that cause trouble and not the rifles ?