Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-13-2019, 11:57 AM

Default Tikka's Really that good?

I've been researching the hell out of new rifles.
My budget is under $2000
I've come down to a Tikka t3x, Browning Hells Canyon or Weatherby Vangurard.

Pretty much every article or forum post I read has complaint in some way about the Browning and Weatherby but no one seems to have a bad thing to say about the Tikka.

Are Tikka's really that good?
Is it worth the extra $$ to go up to a Sako?

Thanks in advance for your opinions & input.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:01 PM

Go with the Tikka you won't be let down
Old 08-13-2019, 12:30 PM

They only have one action length long and the magazine sticks out my biggest dislikes about them.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevDawg View Post
My budget is under $2000

Pretty much every article or forum post I read has complaint in some way about the Browning and Weatherby but no one seems to have a bad thing to say about the Tikka.

^Yes, and probably. I recently sold a very accurate heavy barrel Savage and a Ruger semi auto so that I could get a Tikka T3x Varmint in .204. Zero regrets so far. Sub MOA using factory ammo, I'm now working up loads. The trigger on mine was a little heavy even after dialing it all the way down...so I replaced the trigger spring with a Yo Dave. Easy job/big improvement, about $15 expense. lol The Tikka trigger breaks so cleanly from the factory that an aftermarket/drop-in was no temptation.

I've shot a Sako Varmint in .223, I don't think there is a nicer, factory rifle than that...and I once owned a Cooper. For my needs, I don't believe the extra $ for a SAKO would improve the accuracy OR shooting experience at all. I don't see how it could. No denying the SAKO is superb, but the Tikka is a remarkable gun for the money. I should have made the switch some time ago, but really digging this rifle.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:35 PM

Tikka are good guns. So are Wby. I've owned one Browning but didnt care for it
Junk trigger and more plasticky feel than the other 2.

Look at CZ.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:51 PM

I bought a new Tikka T3 hunter (30-06) and right out of the box it was such a treat to shoot. Mine had a wooden stock. Barely any recoil. Could shoot it all day.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-13-2019, 01:06 PM

Only gripes about mine are the mag is seemingly a few thou over max length of my 300 win mag bullets so when I shoot, the recoil deforms the tips on my Accubonds and there is no messing around with bullets loaded closer to the lands unless you single load them. I also had crazy poi wandering in the factory stock, all changed with the bell and carlson medalist however. Great shooter now.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I bought a new Tikka T3 hunter (30-06) and right out of the box it was such a treat to shoot. Mine had a wooden stock. Barely any recoil. Could shoot it all day.

Dont hear that about T3's much. Oversll they were pretty brutal on the recoil side. Total junk pad. T3x is much better.

I'd actually say that comparing equivalent cartridges above 270 the T3 was the worst by far for recoil. Short of the old Husky's etc. Browning, Weatherby, Remington and Winchester are much better at mitigating recoil.

Plus you move away from all the plastics. Bolt shroud, trigger guard, etc etc. T3x is much better value for the buck and at 850-925 a very decent buy.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:41 PM

I have had a lot of Tikkas over the years. All great shooters, and all had the stock swapped out to a Bell & Carlson ~ trust me it is night and day. If you are even remotely considering a Sako have a close look at the Christensen Mesa. They are very, very well made and cheaper than the Sakos. Cannot speak to the accuracy of my Mesa yet as I am still breaking in the barrel, however the fit and finish are excellent for a bog standard factory gun.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Are Tikka's really that good? YES
Is it worth the extra $$ to go up to a Sako? YES

Thanks in advance for your opinions & input. YOU'RE WELCOME
Downsides of the Tikka that matter to me:
- 1 action length....all are long actions
- single stack 3 round magazine that protrudes below the action
- stocks could be better.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Dont hear that about T3's much. Oversll they were pretty brutal on the recoil side. Total junk pad. T3x is much better.

I'd actually say that comparing equivalent cartridges above 270 the T3 was the worst by far for recoil. Short of the old Husky's etc. Browning, Weatherby, Remington and Winchester are much better at mitigating recoil.

Plus you move away from all the plastics. Bolt shroud, trigger guard, etc etc. T3x is much better value for the buck and at 850-925 a very decent buy.
Some of the lights are less than that, the varmints a fair bit more. Places like Cabela's list the varmints around $1350, but I got mine from a dealer for $100 less, and shipping included. If I have 1 criticism of the varmint, it has to be the protruding mag. I'd prefer one of the (almost) flush ones, but they sell for almost $90 plus tax. Good mags are expensive, I get that...but if these mags cost half as much, I'd still think they were too expensive. lol Mine functions perfectly, but I'm not crazy about it. Small gripe about an otherwise great rifle.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:36 PM

You wouldn't go wrong with a Kimber Hunter rifle either.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:51 PM

We all have our personal preferences, but make no mistake, they are all good rifles. Buy what you like, and what shoulders well. Serious. A spring here or there and they are all within a stone's throw of each other, and will likely be more accurate than the guy pulling the trigger. Some have mentioned CZ and Kimber Hunter. Those are good rifles too.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:08 PM

I have a 22-250, 243, 257wby, 6.5x55, 6.5-284, 270win, 270wsm and 2 300wm, all are Tikkas, all have limbsaver recoil pads. I think the only way to get a smoother action than a Tikka is from a full custom. I don’t see any advantage in buying a Sako A7 over the Tikka.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
I have had a lot of Tikkas over the years. All great shooters, and all had the stock swapped out to a Bell & Carlson ~ trust me it is night and day. If you are even remotely considering a Sako have a close look at the Christensen Mesa. They are very, very well made and cheaper than the Sakos. Cannot speak to the accuracy of my Mesa yet as I am still breaking in the barrel, however the fit and finish are excellent for a bog standard factory gun.
But why did they have to drill holes in a perfectly good bolt handle.??

Nice looking rifle though.

Biggest complaint on a Tikka t3 is the mag...too short if your a reloader...BUT if you buy one in 6.5x55 they have a longer mag and bullet/cartridge length is a non issue..
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:36 PM

One of our site sponsors has a nice sale on CZs rifles rith now. If you like wood and blued rifles, this is a nice one.

http://northprosports.com/index.php?...0659&search=cz
Old 08-13-2019, 03:48 PM

Tikkas are decent hunting "tools". I have 3 of them.
Are they nice rifles? Not particularly - in my books.
Quite ugly IMHO.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:14 PM

Tikka's are boringly accurate, lightweight and relatively reasonable in price. You should probably buy a Mod 700
Old 08-13-2019, 04:17 PM

They are all that you say. They are still ugly.
And I wouldn't have a Remington anything on my property
Old 08-13-2019, 04:19 PM

I think I have a Remington toque
Old 08-13-2019, 04:21 PM

Awesome. Can I use it to start my next campfire?
Old 08-13-2019, 04:47 PM

Best advice I can give is to visit your nearest gun store that carries these 3. Handle them all and buy the one that fits you best as that is the most important thing.
They will all shoot well.
I was in the same boat as you and opted for the Hell's Canyon after handling the ones I had narrowed it down to.
Good luck.

Quote:
My budget is under $2000

Old 08-13-2019, 06:20 PM

yes there that good
Old 08-13-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
The hunter is a wood stock so the weight soaks up a bit of the recoil vs the plastic stock which is what most people have. IIRC it is a tad over a 1/2 lb heavier.

Replacing the stock recoil pad with a softer one helped even more.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
The hunter is a wood stock so the weight soaks up a bit of the recoil vs the plastic stock which is what most people have. IIRC it is a tad over a 1/2 lb heavier.

Replacing the stock recoil pad with a softer one helped even more.

I've got a Hunter 7rm and it kicks a whack harder than my Rem 7rm. 26" barrel shouldnt be the difference. Mind you my very heavy 270 replete with the world's heaviest scope, Nikon Monarch, kicks harder than the Rem as well.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:20 PM
Banned

I had a 300 wby vanguard
Awesome rifle
Was stolen
Figure I’d replace it with a 270 wsm tikka
I sold it as fast as I could
My 338 rum was a far more pleasant rifle to shoot then that tikka
Old 08-13-2019, 07:23 PM

I have had two Tikkas. One in 300WM synthetic stock and a 300WSM with wood stock. They both kicked, especially the wsm which had a sting kind of kick.

They are accurate with a smooth action and good trigger.
If you reload, the length of the magazine might restrict the OAL you want. Also depending on usage, the magazine get kind of loose with time.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
Downsides of the Tikka that matter to me:
- 1 action length....all are long actions
- single stack 3 round magazine that protrudes below the action
- stocks could be better.
The above are the most common complaint against them.
You could spend another 1200-1400 for a Sako 85 and solve them....

There are also 5 round mags.
I like the mag shape.....easy to fit to fit in your front breast pocket, inside jacket chest pocket , or back hip pocket. Try that with a double stack.

I dislike hinge plates. Seen nice guns with rust in the front of receiver where bolt locks in. Reason.....hunting in snowy conditions. Guy unloads by unhinging, bullets spill in the snow, fishes them out, puts them in a front jacket hip pocket with wet snow covered hands. Buddy suggests they try a different cut line. Reloads the wet bullets with wet hands. Chambering a bullet wipes the moisture off and leaves it right where it can’t be seen but will rust if not cleaned soon.

Most of my hunting guns are Tikkas or CZs
Last gun I bought was a heavy barrel Tikka in 204ruger.
Factory loads 32gr ....put all 5 with no paper left between them...can only see 3 part circles.

Same effect for my Tikka 260rem.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:51 PM

I have 2 Tikka T3s. I chose them because of fit & budget, they are both fine shooters. My only peeve is the one length action. The 223 rounds look a little silly in that long magazine.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 08-13-2019, 08:25 PM

The tikka rifles have a cult like following with good reason out of the box a nice crisp trigger smooth bolt like a greased pig they shoot well and they sit right at that price point where there not expensive but there not cheap either. That’s the good stuff everyone likes.

But I have found the tikkas not to shoot any better than any of the other rifles at a similar price point there chambered long and have short mag so you can never load the rounds out to the lands cause the mags limit your length one length action and plastic junk mags.

If I know a guy is going to just shoot factory ammo the tikka is one of the rifles I’ll recommend as a good out of the box shooter. If I know the guys are going to hand load or start swapping parts I’ll never recommend the tikka. These rifles do well for there price point but there performance has not ever lived up to there reputations. I’ve had 2 tikkas and a sako tikkas are gone sako got a barrel and a stock swap.