Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 12:00 PM

Default Beaver Homes Acreage

Does anyone have any experience with getting a house package from a company like Beaver Homes (affiliated with Home Hardware)? Just started looking into them, but apparently they ship you the materials for your house based off of the plan of your choice and then you have it built on site. Just wondering how this would compare in cost and quality to traditional methods. Beaver Homes was just an example. I think there are a few of these out there.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:56 PM

I'm looking at the same thing right now and from what I've researched they seem very reasonable. The catalog you can order will answer most of your questions. I like the fact that they include the building insurance and pretty much walk you through the process. The package has everything you need to lock up stage. I feel you get more for your money with these guys. I'm breaking ground in the next couple years and so far beaver has my vote.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:20 PM

Ya, I think I may schedule a consultation with them to discuss further. It seems like a good option to me. I really quite like the Rideau model with some slight modifications. Apparently, design changes are free (obviously not materials).

http://beaverhomesandcottages.ca/Model/Rideau
Old 03-21-2018, 01:51 PM

I built my home from http://beaverhomesandcottages.ca/Model/Beauport-II

Architectural plans are free and you can ask them to make changes....also free.

Lots of upgrades.........Hardie board, smart trim, oversize fir columns and fascia on deck, stone chimney and FP, 35 year architectural shingles, walkout basement and..............

My contractor dealt with with Home Hardware, I did nothing except pay

Old 03-21-2018, 02:56 PM

Looks great! That is actually the other model we were interested in. Did you end up using a contractor recommended by them? Do you think you ended up saving money by going this route? Do you know the rough cost per square footage of the completed house?
Old 03-21-2018, 04:00 PM

Think you're basically buying a materials package and plans. The rest is up to you.

Grizz
Old 03-21-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I built my home from http://beaverhomesandcottages.ca/Model/Beauport-II

Architectural plans are free and you can ask them to make changes....also free.

Lots of upgrades.........Hardie board, smart trim, oversize fir columns and fascia on deck, stone chimney and FP, 35 year architectural shingles, walkout basement and..............

My contractor dealt with with Home Hardware, I did nothing except pay

Is that an RCAF Roundel flag?
Old 03-21-2018, 05:15 PM

Back in 1987, we bought a home package (1945 sq ft) from Beaver and I added extra windows and two exterior sliding glass doors plus, a skylight into the plans. They give you a quote and they ensure that they do not run out of lumber or other materials when bringing them out in stages. They walked me through the entire process. We had a wood basement put in as it has a higher R factor than concrete plus, you can drywall right over the wood wall giving you the extra interior dimensions as you don't need to insulate as you would with concrete walls

30 years later and it is good as new, however, we upgraded as we went along, new shingles, furnace etc.

We had no problems with the contractor or subcontractors. Note: always verify that the contractor and subcontractors are covered through workman's compensation, for if they are injured without the coverage, they could end up owning your home.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmanz_male View Post
Looks great! That is actually the other model we were interested in. Did you end up using a contractor recommended by them? Do you think you ended up saving money by going this route? Do you know the rough cost per square footage of the completed house?
I picked my own contractor. I sent you a pm on the rest.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
Is that an RCAF Roundel flag?
It is Jack. 42 years in the air force. Nice catch considering there wasn't a breeze to unfurl it..................unlike any other day in the Pass
Old 03-21-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
It is Jack. 42 years in the air force. Nice catch considering there wasn't a breeze to unfurl it..................unlike any other day in the Pass
Did you say "42" years in the Air Force? Wow, that makes my 25 yrs with RCAF/CAF look minuscule.

Cheers!
Old 03-22-2018, 10:47 AM

No problem with the home packages by Beaver or any other. Just realize that that is usually only for the rough framed home. The real expensive stuff is in the finishing and when the little wife picks all the high end bath and kitchen finish you can probably double the $$$ cost to finished home. ( Be careful)
Old 03-22-2018, 11:01 AM

Ya I understand that these aren't complete packages. But what I was wondering was whether this would save cost over going to a builder and having them purchase these materials. I would think there would be a markup if the builder was purchasing these materials.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:14 PM

We bought a 900q ft cabin package from Viceroy Homes, 12 years ago. It arrived on a tractor trailer from their plant in Richmond, BC, neatly bundled into 4 numbered cartons, with clear instructions to the builders. 'Open package #1, deal with those contents, then open package #2', and so on. Of course our local contractors ignored the instructions and proceeded to open all the cartons at once, mix up all the contents and immediately make many trips to the local building supplies outfit because they thought that Viceroy had shorted materials. I ended up paying for all these extras, and was left with a big pile of 'left over' material. All they needed to do was follow Viceroy's instructions, but they knew better....

My advice? Find a contractor that is familiar with Beaver Homes construction, will work with their help desk, will follow their instructions, and doesn't think he's smarter than the Beaver engineers who've built thousands of homes.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
We bought a 900q ft cabin package from Viceroy Homes, 12 years ago. It arrived on a tractor trailer from their plant in Richmond, BC, neatly bundled into 4 numbered cartons, with clear instructions to the builders. 'Open package #1, deal with those contents, then open package #2', and so on. Of course our local contractors ignored the instructions and proceeded to open all the cartons at once, mix up all the contents and immediately make many trips to the local building supplies outfit because they thought that Viceroy had shorted materials. I ended up paying for all these extras, and was left with a big pile of 'left over' material. All they needed to do was follow Viceroy's instructions, but they knew better....

My advice? Find a contractor that is familiar with Beaver Homes construction, will work with their help desk, will follow their instructions, and doesn't think he's smarter than the Beaver engineers who've built thousands of homes.
Beaver is in no way similar to Viceroy. The Beaver materials do not come in a package. The contractor will call stuff forward as required just like they build any other house. There won't be anything missing and there are no instructions. It's blue prints that any contractor/framer can read.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:11 PM

Pm me if you want details about beaver homes
Old 03-23-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Pm me if you want details about beaver homes
Sent pm

Tags
acreage, builder, home, house