Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-01-2018, 06:41 AM
Banned

Default .22 Semi-auto Handgun

Any I should steer clear from?
Old 01-01-2018, 08:03 AM

While I don't own one, the model I've read the most complaints about is the Sig Mosquito.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
While I don't own one, the model I've read the most complaints about is the Sig Mosquito.
Good to know. I also see that it is one of the cheapest.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:14 AM

Find a Mark 1 or 11 Ruger and get after it.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-01-2018, 09:08 AM

Yeah, the Sig Mosquito gets serious hate, I must have the only one that is any good. Run it wet, with cheap CCI Blazer, and it's a hoot. But no discounting all the issues people have with them. I sure like mine. If I was going to recommend one though, try and find an older Colt Woodsman/Challenger. Simple, reliable, accurate.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-01-2018, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Find a Mark 1 or 11 Ruger and get after it.
The VI is easier to clean by far but will cost much more, i do agree that the II is a darn fine gun
Old 01-01-2018, 09:49 AM

I hear great things about the GSG 1911 22. Cheaper than the Sig 1911-22 but the exact same gun. From what Ive read, they are the same manufacturer and the only noticeable difference is that the Sig has a better finish but thats it. This info is all 3rd hand though.

Last edited by Nyksta; 01-01-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:59 AM

I always liked the Walter p22 and ruger sr22. I bought the gf a sr22 for her birthday last year and we haven’t had any problems whatsoever with it. I have a friend with the sig mosquito and he hasn’t had any issues despite what people say. He also runs a can on it so maybe that makes some difference as the general public doesn’t.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
He also runs a can
Please dont say those kinds of things.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:30 AM
Banned

Anyone shoot an M&P22? I have an M&P 9 that I enjoy and wouldn’t mind sticking with the M&P thing as it will fit my holster.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:59 AM

I run a S&W Model 41 and is great, friends like their Rugers
Old 01-01-2018, 11:14 AM

I had a sig mosquito for a while, functioned very well but quite inaccurate, looking back though I believe operater error might have been at play🙂, I wouldn’t be afraid to buy another one if I was looking.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Banned

I've had the GSG 1911-22 for about five years (and about 5000) rounds.
Has run flawlessly as long as it is cleaned regularly and run wet.
About a year ago I upgraded the gun with https://www.zrtacticalsolutions.com/...imate-package/
The stock slide alignment cone allows for some wiggle of the slide...which of course your sights are on...meaning it's not always lining up on the barrel in exactly the same position.
This alleviates that, and as well the spring, guide rod and such are higher quality.
Turns an okay accurate rimfire pistol into a tackdriver.
My only experience has been to stay away from any ammo made by Winchester and cheap Remington such as the Thunderturd. The gun does not do well when dirty and the above ammo, though impressive when all the smoke exits the barrel, dirties it up fast and then I get a lot of stovepipes.
But CCI and Federal Automatch run like a charm.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:25 PM

I shoot a Colt/Walther 1911 Gold Cup 22lr.
Dirty/smokey ammunition can cause stovepipes, but if it has good velocity it will continue to function. Some ranges have velocity restrictions.
This pistol is a hammer fired single action and therefore you have to cock it for the first shot. It replicates the Colt 1911 as it is manufactured under licence so it is exact copy unlike other offerings.
It's nice to shoot with adjustable rear sights. Accuracy? Well, some days I can dial it in, some days I can't. Must be me.
It is not as accurate as the S&W 41 I once had. Of all, that was my favorite.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Please dont say those kinds of things.

Lol that’s where my income tax return is going this year. Buying a silencerco harvester or omega . 300 win mag rated titanium can. I hope to use it while hunting next season on my 270wsm.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:56 PM

I bought a browning 1911-22 for my boy a couple of months ago. About 800 down range and it has run good with everything we have put thru it (CCI std velocity / mini mag / golden bullets / fed auto match / sk rifle match and a couple of others). It does fail to lock open quite a bit but not really sure it is broken in yet.

One really annoying thing is that it has a magazine disconnect so you can't drop the hammer unless there is a magazine in it. Maybe I am missing the point but to clear the gun and then have to put a magazine back in to drop the hammer seems odd to me. I doubt I would have bought it if I had know this.

It is pretty small and did bite my fat hand once so only the boy shoots it now

Neat little gun though.

Let us know what you get!

Old 01-02-2018, 01:02 PM

I run a gsg 22 conversion on my kimber 1911 it is good but is picky with ammo and needs to be well lubed. In the winter i run lots of rem dry line spray in it
On the plus side it was ammo picky in a good way its favorite is rem thunderbolt ammo better than others ive used that only cycled well on stingers
Old 01-02-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Anyone shoot an M&P22? I have an M&P 9 that I enjoy and wouldn’t mind sticking with the M&P thing as it will fit my holster.
I have the M&P .22 and it’s been a great little shooter. It doesn’t have the removable back straps like the centre fire models but it’s accurate.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:29 PM

Default Mosquito

What about simple mods to make the sig mosquito more reliable? Chabelos has them on sale for $340 and I was thinking about picking one up.

I bought the old lady a sig gsg 1911-22 and I'd have to say that so far (about 300-400 rounds) this little sweetheart has performed almost flawlessly.

I had a few missfeeds and noticed that while filling the magazines, sometimes the ammo is kinda facing downwards, causing 100% of our issues. So when loading magazine, just make sure everything is lined up and you're good.

Also her 1911 loves the bulk remington bucket ammo. Just loves it. I tried more expensive winchester wildcat ammo and it jams I'd say 85% of the time. Amazing the difference ammo makes.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
I run a S&W Model 41 and is great, friends like their Rugers
I'd love to find a used mod. 41 at a reasonable price. Next best or just as good , I found a mint High standard Supermatic Citation, Hamden Conneticut manufacture, late 60's early 70's. 5' bull barrel. All steel in this gun as is the 41 smith. 2 mags. trying to get the lips on one mag. bent just right so it feeds as slick as the other , but it real trial 7 error. would like to know where to pick up quality mags for this gun. 25yds. target is stupid accurate,.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
I'd love to find a used mod. 41 at a reasonable price. Next best or just as good , I found a mint High standard Supermatic Citation, Hamden Conneticut manufacture, late 60's early 70's. 5' bull barrel. All steel in this gun as is the 41 smith. 2 mags. trying to get the lips on one mag. bent just right so it feeds as slick as the other , but it real trial 7 error. would like to know where to pick up quality mags for this gun. 25yds. target is stupid accurate,.
What would you consider reasonable? I agree with you about the gun. Used to have one and wish I'd never sold it. They seem to be hard to find now. I had the bull barrel model and it was very accurate. I seem to compare everything to it and they don't really stand up. Most seem to be light and smaller framed than a center fire. The 41 was a quality piece of work.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKGSP View Post
What would you consider reasonable? I agree with you about the gun. Used to have one and wish I'd never sold it. They seem to be hard to find now. I had the bull barrel model and it was very accurate. I seem to compare everything to it and they don't really stand up. Most seem to be light and smaller framed than a center fire. The 41 was a quality piece of work.
Reasonable is I guess subjective according to the shape of the gun. Yup I use to own one also in the 80's when I shot competition.As you , I should have kept it also, but this high standard is in the same league. I picked up a stainless ruger single ten this year ,with fibre optics which are great for my eyes, I tend to love single actions, just the inherent safety aspect, where once you fire, not much can happen until you cock the hammer again v/s semi- auto. I did see a pair of model 41's a guy was selling at Lethbridge gun show a couple yrs. back, for some reason he wasn't selling them separately , can't remember what $ figure was , I'm thinking $1700. I only want one. Also met a guy who had a Browning Medalist, beautiful gun, so I asked him to test fire a round cause something didn't sound right about dry firing it on an empty case, & sure enough it wouldn't fire. --- buyer beware on used.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:

the High Standard line of 22 pistols are a bit fragile in the frame. I own a High Standard Victor,which is essentially the same gun, and it is recommended that only standard velocity ammo are fed through these guns, or the frame will develop a crack. I bought a couple of magazines for it at Western Gun Parts in Edmonton, and it is a pain in the butt to get those feed lips just right, I know what you are referring to. good luck.
http://ashevillerifleandpistolclub.o...2-107-PTS1.pdf

Last edited by barsik; 07-29-2018 at 05:31 AM. Reason: adding pdf
Old 07-29-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
the High Standard line of 22 pistols are a bit fragile in the frame. I own a High Standard Victor,which is essentially the same gun, and it is recommended that only standard velocity ammo are fed through these guns, or the frame will develop a crack. I bought a couple of magazines for it at Western Gun Parts in Edmonton, and it is a pain in the butt to get those feed lips just right, I know what you are referring to. good luck.
http://ashevillerifleandpistolclub.o...2-107-PTS1.pdf
Yup, you're right some can develop cracks , I checked mine & it's good. I just shoot standard vel. 1150fps. or less. those feed lips are a b---tch. to get right, if the rear of the barrel had a sloped polished feed ramp it might have helped but it's design didn't incorporate that feature. did the mags. you got from WGP. feed properly as is or require some tweaking? & if you recall what are they selling for each $.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:48 PM

I have the Ruger 22/45 . Excellent .22 handgun . Prob shot 3000+ rounds now . And shoots the cheap win22, thunderbolts etc . Just a bugger to take down and clean.

I'm also thinking about getting this s&w 22 for my wife . Does anyone here own one ?

https://www.gotenda.com/shop/firearm...-22-lr-pistol/
Old 07-29-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Yup, you're right some can develop cracks , I checked mine & it's good. I just shoot standard vel. 1150fps. or less. those feed lips are a b---tch. to get right, if the rear of the barrel had a sloped polished feed ramp it might have helped but it's design didn't incorporate that feature. did the mags. you got from WGP. feed properly as is or require some tweaking? & if you recall what are they selling for each $.

the mags I got from WGP aren't very good at all. they are some kind of aftermarket jobber design and are made out of thin sheet metal, but if you like constantly fussing with magazines, they will work. very hard to find original mags, and those that have them won't sell. best mags are factory HS mags.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:51 PM

Often overlooked, but still a very good quality and accurate pistol is the S&W 422/622....(blue/ss)....kind of a 'budget' model 41. Very nice shooting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170223_173931.jpg (45.2 KB, 21 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-01-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Often overlooked, but still a very good quality and accurate pistol is the S&W 422/622....(blue/ss)....kind of a 'budget' model 41. Very nice shooting.
Those must be older pistols, as I don't see them on smiths website. No wonder I couldn't find them.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:58 PM

Beretta 71 is a great little 22lr to check out. Some retailers here sell them with 4.2" barrels, but otherwise they come with a 6" barrel. Usually in the $350-400 range for a surplus model

Old 08-02-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
One really annoying thing is that it has a magazine disconnect so you can't drop the hammer unless there is a magazine in it. Maybe I am missing the point but to clear the gun and then have to put a magazine back in to drop the hammer seems odd to me. I doubt I would have bought it if I had know this.
I have a Browning 1911-22 and was curious about that, from another forum:

The magazine disconnect is to prevent dry firing that can damage the chamber from firing pin contact

I know you can't believe everything on the net but it does make sense. I've put a few thousand rounds through mine with out a glitch.

Last edited by bat119; 08-02-2018 at 07:41 AM.