Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-07-2018, 06:45 PM

Default Town Hall Meeting with MP Michelle Rempel at Calgary Shooting Center

Sorry for no notice, thought this might be posted already. Anyways, there is a town hall meeting to discuss bill C-71 with MP Michelle Rempel tonight starting at 7 pm at the Calgary Shooting Center. I'm here, say hi if you can make it. I saw it posted on CGN but I neglected to ensure that it was cross-posted on here

Last edited by CaberTosser; 08-07-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:18 PM

The meeting was good, while MP Rempel was unable to attend for whatever reason there was an excellent presentation by Conservative MP Glen Motz who represents Medicine Hat. Mr Motz retired from a policing career in Medicine Hat and has rural roots, I was left with a positive impression of him as a very good ally to the firearms community.

Following his presentation there was a Q&A session and many attendee's had some excellent input, though there was also some representation from 'that guy'. I think every public meeting has at least one. At least most got their input heard, though the clock ran out prior to my being able to contribute. The CCFA was represented/hosting and apparently live-streamed the event.

Attendee's included a fellow who had presented the sound suppressor petition you likely saw at firearms businesses this last year, Kate (who's last name I don't know but who used to operate an ammunition supply company and went by Ammo Kate on CGN). There was a fellow hoping to become the conservative candidate in my riding (currently MP Kent Hehr (liberal) and another Member of Parliament (Martin Shields, Bow River) who sat directly in front of me and who spoke briefly.

The hottest topic was straw buyers. Some suggested they're probably not enough of a number to count, some sensibly wanted statistics if the Liberals are going to keep claiming that they represent a statistical problem. Others were upset by suggestions put forth that the gun community (vendors and enthusiasts alike) be active in reporting suspicious people who buy lots of firearms. Personally, I've got no qualms about reporting someone who seems mentally unhinged, but no way would I be calling in someone just because I was jealous they bought way more guns than I have

The obligatory upset weirdo(s) also attended (a pre-requisite at any political event). Generally such people aren't bad, they just don't present their points particularly well. Whenever WWII Germany comparisons come up I think the presenter has forfeited their argument.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Did Motz say whether he had received any reply from Goodale on the Swiss Arms/CZ registration issue? I would have liked to have gone, but, I work 4-12. I hope if they put up a vid of the meeting, that the sound will be legible. It'll be up tonite, I would expect.