Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-02-2018, 10:52 AM

Default Ruger rebuild?

Just throwing around some ideas and wanted some opinions.

I have a Ruger 77 about a mid 70's vintage heavy barrel in 6mm Rem. It has a shorter action which I like but the best feature is the single set Canjar Trigger. I was thinking of re-barreling to a better caliber for reloading and accuracy. Maybe going to a 6.5 Creedmoor or 7-08.

Would you go back to the heavy barrel? Make a more sporterized version? Who would you get to do the work?
Old 08-02-2018, 03:48 PM

not sure about how the trigger is installed... but would it possibly be more economical to buy a new Ruger m77 in the caliber of your choice with action length you desire and switch the triggers?
Old 08-02-2018, 05:42 PM
Banned

It is almost always cheaper to buy a factory rifle rather than rebarrel. But then you have another full factory rifle.
When I shoot out my barrel, I know the action is still good, the stock should still be good, trigger, etc. As long as they are you won't be losing any more money, really, and you'll probably have a better shooting rifle than another factory barrel.

But to each their own.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:02 PM

Know this. The Ruger M77 tang safety is a classic. And well worth the effort and added expense to do a re-build on. Your short action 77 has all kinds of options open to it as far as re-barreling is concerned. If you put the same money into a new budget priced rifle with all the polymer features to often tolerated in today's consumers you will be sorry in the long run. Work with what you've got and build yourself a good hunting rifle. D.H.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:06 PM

A few questions. How does it shoot now? What is your intended use of this rifle? Do you already reload or just planning on getting into it?

If it shoots ok and you don't reload I would try reloading first. I shoot a lot of milsurp rifles that have far from perfect bores. Amazing what handloading can do for accuracy.

I had to look up 6mm rem as it's not a common round. I can't see why it couldn't shoot good if the rifle is good. May take some time to find what works. I had a 7-08 that was a bit finicky to get to shoot good. Once I found the right bullet and powder it was sub MOA.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:35 PM

I’m not a target shooter, for me I would drop it into a wildcat composite stock, install a stainless sporterweight barrel in whatever cartridge turns your crank and be happy.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:37 PM

The 6mm remington in your ruger 77 is an awesome combination. I've had two and they shoot lights out. Don't know what your going to shoot but even the sporter barrel I had easily shot less than 3/4 " groups. Play with bullets and powder, you will be supprised. I've had a 6mm in different guns for 35 years and currently have a Rem 700 heavy barrel that ain't leaving me and it can touch all five together with 70 gr sierras.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:13 AM

If you have a Canjar trigger you have a hidden gem . I would love to have a Ruger 77 with a canjar .

Ruger M-77 rifles are well thought out design and more than capable action.

I would not hesitate for a moment to work with it especially with the Canjar trigger .
Old 08-03-2018, 07:33 AM

[QUOTE=PFKGSP;3820739]Just throwing around some ideas and wanted some opinions.

I have a Ruger 77 about a mid 70's vintage heavy barrel in 6mm Rem. It has a shorter action which I like but the best feature is the single set Canjar Trigger. I was thinking of re-barreling to a better caliber for reloading and accuracy. Maybe going to a 6.5 Creedmoor or 7-08.

Would you go back to the heavy barrel? Make a more sporterized version? Who would you get to do the work?[/QUOTE/]

My first evaluation ( if it were mine) would be the accuracy of the current barrel .
I have had several 6mm Rem's and much prefer them over the 243 case fir hand loading .
My second thought would be what I was wanting the rifle for, match shooting , simply as a range rifle or would I be hunting with it .

That being said,if it had the heavy varmint stock, I would probably contact
David Henry, Yvan Lejuene or Bob Galloway to do the work and get them to rebarrel it with a RKS gain twist in 6.5x47 Lapua to compliment the heavier stock and very excellent Canjar that is already on there .
Cat
Old 08-04-2018, 06:13 AM

If rebarreling, stay with same size barrel. A smaller diameter barrel
Would look bad sitting in the forearm.
l