Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-20-2024, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Thank! It was cheap and easy, but I might do it different next time. My skull is kind of flaky. Maybe from boiling in peroxide for too long? I'm still super happy with it. But might change it up next time. This is assuming I have good luck hunting in the future tho lol.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
I took a couple in to a well known taxidermist in Red Deer and one came back really flakey. Thankfully it was not the one I cared most about as the second one was my son's first buck. You might want to consider stabilizing with a matt clear coat.

I usually just boil with a little Dawn dish soap to get the grease out and a wee bit of Oxyclean. This one sat frozen in the shed for the winter and I believe it made the scull a little tainted. Around the nose and jaw kind of freeze dried like leather and was a real pain. It is looking good now though not snow white. Lesson learned, laziness is never the best option.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I took a couple in to a well known taxidermist in Red Deer and one came back really flakey. Thankfully it was not the one I cared most about as the second one was my son's first buck. You might want to consider stabilizing with a matt clear coat.

I usually just boil with a little Dawn dish soap to get the grease out and a wee bit of Oxyclean. This one sat frozen in the shed for the winter and I believe it made the scull a little tainted. Around the nose and jaw kind of freeze dried like leather and was a real pain. It is looking good now though not snow white. Lesson learned, laziness is never the best option.
I saw a few YT videos of people saying that they just spray paint the skulls. Not much work at all. And easy to touch up. I'm not saying that I wouldn't do that in the future, but doing this first one by myself, I wanted to experience all the steps I took. And I also learned a lot.

Old 03-20-2024, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Thank! It was cheap and easy, but I might do it different next time. My skull is kind of flaky. Maybe from boiling in peroxide for too long? I'm still super happy with it. But might change it up next time. This is assuming I have good luck hunting in the future tho lol.

Good luck is made when it comes to hunting and I have faith you will have another euro to play with.

I weakened a few in the past from over boiling and had skulls split on the joints from light falls. As long as you are not rough with the skull and leave it on the wall you’ll be fine. If a joint fails you can always epoxy it together

Personally after helping out in a buddy’s taxidermy shop I don’t enjoy doing euros anymore so I will just hand them to someone with beetles lol
Old 03-20-2024, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I saw a few YT videos of people saying that they just spray paint the skulls. Not much work at all. And easy to touch up. I'm not saying that I wouldn't do that in the future, but doing this first one by myself, I wanted to experience all the steps I took. And I also learned a lot.

Like I posted earlier in the thread there is a fair number of taxidermy guys who spray skulls with flat white.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Like I posted earlier in the thread there is a fair number of taxidermy guys who spray skulls with flat white.
I don't see anything wrong with that. If you were doing them in bulk, that would be the way to go.

Old 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM

I just macerate skulls for euros. It takes more time and you need space enough to get the smell where you don’t want to be around it but I find it better than boiling personally. You end up with real clean bone and no grease. I then clean it off good to try remove smell and whiten with a paste I make from bleach and peroxide I get from my wife’s hair salon owner friend.

In my basement man cave there are 11 shoulder mounts, all deer except one speed goat and about 20 euros, deer, pronghorn, elk and moose. If I could go back in time there’d be less shoulder mounts and more euros.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
I just macerate skulls for euros. It takes more time and you need space enough to get the smell where you don’t want to be around it but I find it better than boiling personally. You end up with real clean bone and no grease. I then clean it off good to try remove smell and whiten with a paste I make from bleach and peroxide I get from my wife’s hair salon owner friend.

In my basement man cave there are 11 shoulder mounts, all deer except one speed goat and about 20 euros, deer, pronghorn, elk and moose. If I could go back in time there’d be less shoulder mounts and more euros.
That's quite the collection! Macerating skulls is new to me. I bet it does a very good job.

Old 03-20-2024, 09:12 PM

Your buck looks great!! Thanks for posting an update.

This years buck I used a sous vide machine.

The wife wouldn't let me use the home one, so I bought a cheap one off Amazon.

It did work, but it was a learning experience.

First is it slower than simmering but a lot faster than macerating...
Second, I had to place a thin bag around the head as the meat etc, was staining the heating element and creating some interesting smells that got the boss asking. Once I had the skull and water in a bag, it worked Ok, but the lack of water circulation did slow the cleaning process. Will work on this the next time.
Third was figuring out the temp, but some research on taxidermy forums brought me around to between 165-175 deg. It will also depend on how well you prep it.
Just like sous vide at home, insulate the container you are using will keep the temp much more even.

It took approx. 3 days over letting it sit for 12 hours, clean and repeat. Then some time cleaning the brains and the last little bit of stuff

Then I did a lower temp, around 140 and soaked it (no bag) in Dawn and Oxiclean to degrease it. Changed the water every 12 hours until no more grease, another 2 days.

Then let it sit out in the winter sun over the next few weeks.

I decided to leave it natural instead of the peroxide treatment.

I am happy how it turned out.

Overall, I will try this again as I didn't have to worry about the skull getting soft or discolouring the antlers. Trial and error.

Cheers

SS
Old 03-21-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
Your buck looks great!! Thanks for posting an update.

This years buck I used a sous vide machine.

The wife wouldn't let me use the home one, so I bought a cheap one off Amazon.

It did work, but it was a learning experience.

First is it slower than simmering but a lot faster than macerating...

Second, I had to place a thin bag around the head as the meat etc, was staining the heating element and creating some interesting smells that got the boss asking. Once I had the skull and water in a bag, it worked Ok, but the lack of water circulation did slow the cleaning process. Will work on this the next time.

Third was figuring out the temp, but some research on taxidermy forums brought me around to between 165-175 deg. It will also depend on how well you prep it.

Just like sous vide at home, insulate the container you are using will keep the temp much more even.

It took approx. 3 days over letting it sit for 12 hours, clean and repeat. Then some time cleaning the brains and the last little bit of stuff

Then I did a lower temp, around 140 and soaked it (no bag) in Dawn and Oxiclean to degrease it. Changed the water every 12 hours until no more grease, another 2 days.

Then let it sit out in the winter sun over the next few weeks.

I decided to leave it natural instead of the peroxide treatment.

I am happy how it turned out.

Overall, I will try this again as I didn't have to worry about the skull getting soft or discolouring the antlers. Trial and error.

Cheers

SS
Thanks!

Ya I'm sure your wife wouldn't be too impressed using her kitchen gear lol.

I like the look of the skull before bleaching too. I was actually thinking of leaving it. If you look at SageValleyOutdoos thread I think it's called 2023 monster whitetail. His first pic is of his skull before bleaching. Looks awesome with that monster. And a few pics of my skull earlier in this thread. I like that look.

Old 03-21-2024, 11:35 AM

Shoulder mount all the way for a BOAL
Old 03-21-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post

I weakened a few in the past from over boiling and had skulls split on the joints from light falls. As long as you are not rough with the skull and leave it on the wall you’ll be fine. If a joint fails you can always epoxy it together
Quote:
Yep. They got a lot lighter. Besides that, I'm super happy with it.

I see a loss of connective tissue from over cleaning on the top nasal bones, and would not wait for them to fall out or warp before fixing it.

Take some masking tape, apply it to the exterior surface of the nasal bones then fill in the bone suture with epoxy or white wood glue from the interior of the nasal cavity.

The Skull looks great, you were too good at cleaning it.

Macerating skulls is just gross.
And greatly increases the likelihood you could get an infection from the rotting soup.
Nope. Never again.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-21-2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I see a loss of connective tissue from over cleaning on the top nasal bones, and would not wait for them to fall out or warp before fixing it.

Take some masking tape, apply it to the exterior surface of the nasal bones then fill in the bone suture with epoxy or white wood glue from the interior of the nasal cavity.

The Skull looks great, you were too good at cleaning it.

Macerating skulls is just gross.

And greatly increases the likelihood you could get an infection from the rotting soup.

Nope. Never again.
Thanks!

Did you eat the soup?

I'm thinking your talking about this split?

Old 03-21-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

Did you eat the soup?

I'm thinking your talking about this split?

Eating it is probably safer than touching it.
Just a drop of that soup on your skin or accidentally rubbing your eyes and it can get ugly.
Macerating is allowing the flesh to rot off through bacterial decomposition.
If the wrong bugs get in the soup, it is toxic.
IMO, this is a smelly and dangerous method that takes much longer than Simmering with alkaline or acidic water (killing bacteria) and heat.

And yes, that is the suture I am talking about.
These nasal bones and the upper palate bones are the first to come apart when cleaning a skull "too much".
Simmer, don't boil.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-21-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
And yes, that is the suture I am talking about.
These nasal bones and the upper palate bones are the first to come apart when cleaning a skull "too much".
Simmer, don't boil.
Good eye, I didn't notice that. The teeth sometimes get loose with over boiling as well. I haven't had a skull split but I have had to glue in a few teeth before they went missing.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:22 PM

Good job on this SB! Nice muley!

Good advice from others also in regards to preparations.

This is one of my "Half European Mount". What I have done when I built the stand, was put an angle piece at the bottom so the antlers are straight with the wall. Hopefully the pics will do it justice. Anyway, thought I would share.

Sorry for the background...these things are in my workshop...

Old 03-21-2024, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Good job on this SB! Nice muley!

Good advice from others also in regards to preparations.

This is one of my "Half European Mount". What I have done when I built the stand, was put an angle piece at the bottom so the antlers are straight with the wall. Hopefully the pics will do it justice. Anyway, thought I would share.

Sorry for the background...these things are in my workshop...

Thanks!
Dang Phil that is a thick rack. I love how you cut the skull. It looks pretty mean. And no bleaching? Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:15 PM

Nice job Phil. And a nice mule. Great front forks.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks!
Dang Phil that is a thick rack. I love how you cut the skull. It looks pretty mean. And no bleaching? Thanks for sharing.

Hey SB.

I shot this mule deer North of Athabasca back in 1980. I had a shoulder mount done then, and I guess that is how taxidermist did things back then. Not sure how he cut the skull, but suspect he used a meat saw.

Few years ago, the mount started to deteriorate so I ripped it apart, kept the skull, and built this stand.

Yea...he was an old heavy racked boy. I recall the meat not being too tender...lol...
Old 03-22-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Hey SB.

I shot this mule deer North of Athabasca back in 1980. I had a shoulder mount done then, and I guess that is how taxidermist did things back then. Not sure how he cut the skull, but suspect he used a meat saw.

Few years ago, the mount started to deteriorate so I ripped it apart, kept the skull, and built this stand.

Yea...he was an old heavy racked boy. I recall the meat not being too tender...lol...
The more I look at it, the more I like it. And there's something about the colour of the skull before bleaching. Dang I'll never make up my mind on what I want to do next.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
The more I look at it, the more I like it. And there's something about the colour of the skull before bleaching. Dang I'll never make up my mind on what I want to do next.

I've yet to bleach (peroxide) a european mount. Have never painted one (which many do) either. I personally prefer the natural color, bright white does nothing for me.

To clean a skull first thing I do is bend a welding rod into a hook and stick in a drill. Stick in brain cavity let it spin for a while (important step).
I simmer with borax and dawn. Pull out once in a while and blast with pressure washer and rotating tip. Easy peasy
Old 03-22-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Hey SB.

It's a beauty deer. Be hard to pass that one up
Old 03-22-2024, 09:44 AM

Nice deer Phil!! Huge!

Quote:
Hey SB.

Old 03-22-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
I've yet to bleach (peroxide) a european mount. Have never painted one (which many do) either. I personally prefer the natural color, bright white does nothing for me.

To clean a skull first thing I do is bend a welding rod into a hook and stick in a drill. Stick in brain cavity let it spin for a while (important step).

I simmer with borax and dawn. Pull out once in a while and blast with pressure washer and rotating tip. Easy peasy
I'm thinking I might skip the peroxide next time

Old 03-22-2024, 12:02 PM

I think there is a happy middle ground. I don't like them snow white as much as a little bone look to them. I have done many and sent out several to be done. The ones I sent out are snow white and a couple are a little flakey. I prefer the look of the ones I did myself. More of a natural look to my eye.

Once boiled and cleaned you can lay peroxide soaked paper towel on the skull and whiten until you are happy. It's a gradual process and you can even decide to whiten more at a later date.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:55 PM

Use sodium carbonate (sofa ash/washing soda) in the water when you simmer.
The meat and connective tissues turn to jelly and come off a lot easier. Means you don’t have to simmer as long and the bone doesn’t deteriorate as much.
Keep skimming the fat off the top of the water with a ladle so the fat doesn’t pool on the top and soak into the bone there. Most greasy skulls seem to be saturated near where they were closest to the top of the water, exactly where the oil floats on top.

I’ve seen many skulls that were macerated where the sutures are “loose” and the bone seems more brittle. The point about maceration and infection isn’t one to be taken lightly. I got a really nasty infection from macerating hides to remove the hair when tanning. I only dry scrape now.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:42 PM

OxyClean and blue dawn dish soap.
Boil. Shut off.
Soak overnight. Change water. Boil. Soak overnight.

Go light on the high heat or nose pieces fall off and teeth fall out. Take your time and drink beers while doing it.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:22 PM

I put some tsp and soap in the pot, and end up with a fairly natural colour.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
OxyClean and blue dawn dish soap.

Boil. Shut off.

Soak overnight. Change water. Boil. Soak overnight.

Go light on the high heat or nose pieces fall off and teeth fall out. Take your time and drink beers while doing it.
Take time and drink beer.

Important steps to take when pretty much doing anything.

At least I can get something right