Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2016, 07:08 PM

Default Winter Camping

Hi all I would appreciate any info on Alberta winter camping such as places to go and any clubs or groups that go out. I am an experienced summer camper but have never gone in the winter. Looks interesting. Thanks
Old 02-23-2016, 09:12 PM

Where are you located? There are lots of folks that I'm sure have tips and pointers that might be in your neck of the woods.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:38 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...Winter+camping

-Confucius
Old 02-23-2016, 09:39 PM

What winter??
I guess this would be a good year to get used to cool nights in a tent if nothing else
Old 02-23-2016, 09:47 PM
Banned

There are plenty of places to go if you head west. Just go for a drive and you will find them. Get a permit so you can cut down trees and a good chain saw but most importantly, enjoy your self and bring what ever makes you happy
Old 02-23-2016, 10:50 PM

Default Winter camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
There are plenty of places to go if you head west. Just go for a drive and you will find them. Get a permit so you can cut down trees and a good chain saw but most importantly, enjoy your self and bring what ever makes you happy
Not quite that simple if you are camping in the back country and the weather takes a turn for the worse. Big wind, big snow, you better know what you are getting yourself into if you have no back country, wilderness, mountain winter experience. If you are in a camping area with a camper of some sort it is not all that bad, but if backpacking and minimal gear for a couple of days in the winter things can go sideways in a real hurry. Make a plan on the area you plan to camp in and let people know your time frame for being out there. Lost a couple friends going camping for one night and got lost in a blizzard 100 yrds from their shelter. Make a plan and then make it again and again to make sure all bases are covered in case of the wild and wonderful winter weather, it can be deadly. But sure is nice when a plan comes together and enjoying the bright sunny days of winter camping.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I dunno, depending on what the OP is after a chainsaw could be a technical impossibility, or at least a huge inconvenience. I own a couple but have never brought one on a winter camping trip. I've used my setup down to around -30, I could survive colder if needed, no real need to get fancy.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:27 PM
Banned

Anthony5, Good points made and thank you. I'm a seasoned woodsman but it's always good to point out safety. I would also bring the spare keys for your vehicle in case you loose them and keep them in your pocket. A second battery never hurts to have under your hood if you have the room. I keep a spare 12 volt rv battery under my hood rated at some serious cold cranking amps. I don't recall what brand but I picked it up from Canadian tire for about $400

You will find that when you winter camp you may tend to meet people you would not other wise. I would venture out for a weekend, you'll see
Old 02-24-2016, 02:04 AM

Good advice Anthony5. You don't have to be far in the back country either. You could be yards from your vehicle a 1/2 mile from town.

Hey Bushleague.... I am not trying to be critical or be a know it all but I have to say that your winter tarp shelter & fire don't look very efficient. The bad thing about a lean to in winter is the open design. You could be much more comfortable at -30.

Just a suggestion... For a leanto the fire should be the length of the shelter. The fire should have a reflector behind it too. Close in the sides of the lean to too.

30 years ago (when I was younger) I would take a tarp two or three times bigger (worth carrying the extra pound) and it is very easy to make a enclosed tepee around one poplar tree in the bush, without cutting down any trees. With logs to anchor the tarp I didn't use traditional tepee poles. Easy to heat, can have small fire inside or open the tarp front to a longer fire. Enough room for all gear and firewood too. Easy to pile the floor area with pine boughs and still have room to stand if needed.

Again... just a suggestion to help you keep warmer.

In extreme cold I have made two long fires and slept between them. And then use the tarp as a windbreak and reflector on the windward side to break any wind from blowing the fires. Make the fires bigger and farther apart from each other to avoid getting burnt. In deep snow build your fires on logs. By morning the logs might burn through and you also might have a deep hole under the fire where the snow has melted below the fire. But at least the melting snow won't effect your fires.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-24-2016, 02:30 AM

As far as places to go camping in winter, it is probably best to start by camping close to a vehicle and warmth. You don't want to learn the hard way. Hands and feet can freeze quickly and then you are useless and in trouble.

Any crown land can be used for winter camping but remember that in winter registered trappers have their traps out. Be alert for traps and try not to disturb an area too much.

I have gone winter camping along the North Saskatchewan river upstream of Edmonton. Easy to access. Make camp on the north side/shore of the river and you get sunlight. Camp on the south side/shore and you are in the shade where it is colder. I have also winter camped around Fox creek (meekwap lake area), several miles NW of Goose lake by Ft. Assiniboine, Abraham lake and Brazeau dam area thru the years.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-24-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Good advice Anthony5. You don't have to be far in the back country either. You could be yards from your vehicle a 1/2 mile from town.

Hey Bushleague.... I am not trying to be critical or be a know it all but I have to say that your winter tarp shelter & fire don't look very efficient. The bad thing about a lean to in winter is the open design. You could be much more comfortable at -30.

Just a suggestion... For a leanto the fire should be the length of the shelter. The fire should have a reflector behind it too. Close in the sides of the lean to too.

30 years ago (when I was younger) I would take a tarp two or three times bigger (worth carrying the extra pound) and it is very easy to make a enclosed tepee around one poplar tree in the bush, without cutting down any trees. With logs to anchor the tarp I didn't use traditional tepee poles. Easy to heat, can have small fire inside or open the tarp front to a longer fire. Enough room for all gear and firewood too. Easy to pile the floor area with pine boughs and still have room to stand if needed.

Again... just a suggestion to help you keep warmer.

In extreme cold I have made two long fires and slept between them. And then use the tarp as a windbreak and reflector on the windward side to break any wind from blowing the fires. Make the fires bigger and farther apart from each other to avoid getting burnt. In deep snow build your fires on logs. By morning the logs might burn through and you also might have a deep hole under the fire where the snow has melted below the fire. But at least the melting snow won't effect your fires.
That is only one of many camps. My fire grows a reflector behind it and has moved closer to the lean to by the time I sleep in it. As far as warmth, my sleeping arrangement generally keeps me warm without a fire, the fire can be utilized in an emergency. If you want to run a fire while you sleep you need to have something covering you're sleeping bag or will end up with burn holes in it... or worse.

I've played with other riggings with the tarp, but I enjoy using the more open ones myself.

The tip about building your fire on logs is a very good one, even when you can keep your fire going it will not put out good heat without a coal bed. When melting snow is drowning you're coal bed as it forms it is not much good for warming yourself or cooking.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
Not quite that simple if you are camping in the back country and the weather takes a turn for the worse. Big wind, big snow, you better know what you are getting yourself into if you have no back country, wilderness, mountain winter experience. If you are in a camping area with a camper of some sort it is not all that bad, but if backpacking and minimal gear for a couple of days in the winter things can go sideways in a real hurry. Make a plan on the area you plan to camp in and let people know your time frame for being out there. Lost a couple friends going camping for one night and got lost in a blizzard 100 yrds from their shelter. Make a plan and then make it again and again to make sure all bases are covered in case of the wild and wonderful winter weather, it can be deadly. But sure is nice when a plan comes together and enjoying the bright sunny days of winter camping.
Lest we forget, it's Alberta, weather can change suddenly and drastically, especially this time of year.

Grizz
Old 02-24-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
30 years ago (when I was younger) I would take a tarp two or three times bigger (worth carrying the extra pound) and it is very easy to make a enclosed tepee around one poplar tree in the bush
I like this idea. What size of tarp did you need for that? I would imagine the typical plastic tarps aren't good for a fire in an enclosed space, what was it made of? Any idea of the weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
...my sleeping arrangement generally keeps me warm without a fire, the fire can be utilized in an emergency.
This is probably the most important point in this whole thread. If you're 100% relying on fire in order to not die in the backcountry, you're eventually going to have some biiiiig problems. If you can hop in a vehicle with a walk of a km or two, fine. Otherwise... invest in a proper sleep system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppersonly View Post
Hi all I would appreciate any info on Alberta winter camping such as places to go and any clubs or groups that go out. I am an experienced summer camper but have never gone in the winter. Looks interesting. Thanks
Definitely gotta know where you're located at.
Start in a campground for a couple nights testing out your gear. Lots of campgrounds in AB keep a few sites plowed all winter. Some in the rockies as well. If you're in North Alberta I can give you a few recommendations.

A few suggestions:
- Bring some company, or something to do. When the sun sets at 4:30 and doesn't rise until 8AM... it can be a reeeaaalllllly long night.
- As above, make sure your sleep system can handle the temp WITHOUT a fire/heater. Test this out by your car or in your backyard
- Mentioned already, but build a reflector behind your fire. I don't have any good pics handy, but in the pic below of the fire, you can see the big snow covered log. I built the fire against this, stacked up larger logs in a criss-cross pattern, and it smoulders and reflects all the heat right back. Works 1000x better than just building a fire in a snow pit.
- Have a way of contacting someone (cell, inreach, etc). In the summer, you can usually get to a road and flag someone down. If you have a serious issue in the winter though, you can be VERY close to civilization and never see a single person.
- Be at peace with the fact that it's a lot of work. Be prepared to enjoy the work. In the summer you can backpack in, get a small fire going, relax and kick your feet back. In the winter you will *always* be doing something, if for no other reason than just to stay warm. I've had nights where it's plunged WAY lower than expected and I had to get up at 2AM, grab a shovel, and dig a huuuuge pit for zero reason other than to warm up, haha. But even if you are well prepared, there will be hiking, setting up, finding wood, processing wood, cooking, and the million times you have to layer/delayer/vent/zip up to prevent sweating during these activities. You'll be busy. I love the work, but some folks go camping to relax I guess, winter is probably not their bag.

I know there's a few folks on here who get out somewhat regularly in the winter, don't be afraid to ask questions! If you don't get an answer, feel free to PM me, I'm not on here much anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060574.JPG (174.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg P1060568.jpg (92.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2713 (Large).jpg (44.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2570.jpg (70.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-04-13 09.28.32.jpg (182.3 KB, 62 views)
Old 02-24-2016, 08:44 AM
Banned

If you all were interested in coordinating a winter group camp I would make it out. I think a couple other members would be interested as well. It looks like the majority who have replied in this thread are in central Alberta. I'm free to go anywhere in Alberta for a good outing.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:20 AM

Default winter camp

If you can get some people together that be great. Lots want to try it out.
I'd most likely be interested in attending aswell. Im in calgary.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:23 AM

I also have been getting the itch to get out. I use to enjoy winter camping when is was a kid and my gear wasn't nearly as good as it is now.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:30 AM

Default Priceless Knowledge

This video is most likely one of the important things you should know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOVch7nuowE
Old 02-24-2016, 10:22 AM
Banned

The camp sight I made this year for winter camping is in a prime location with great views. In the fall I nailed my large tarp over the area firmly to the ground just a simple clearing of snow to pull the tarp up and the fire pit and sitting area is ready to go. I make a mean chilli !
Old 02-24-2016, 10:22 AM
Banned

Default kijiji

If you want to try out winter camping check out this ad on kijiji

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-campi...ationFlag=true

Last edited by chimpac; 02-24-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppercarbide View Post
I like this idea. What size of tarp did you need for that? I would imagine the typical plastic tarps aren't good for a fire in an enclosed space, what was it made of? Any idea of the weight?

This is probably the most important point in this whole thread. If you're 100% relying on fire in order to not die in the backcountry, you're eventually going to have some biiiiig problems. If you can hop in a vehicle with a walk of a km or two, fine. Otherwise... invest in a proper sleep system.

Definitely gotta know where you're located at.
Start in a campground for a couple nights testing out your gear. Lots of campgrounds in AB keep a few sites plowed all winter. Some in the rockies as well. If you're in North Alberta I can give you a few recommendations.

A few suggestions:
- Bring some company, or something to do. When the sun sets at 4:30 and doesn't rise until 8AM... it can be a reeeaaalllllly long night.
- As above, make sure your sleep system can handle the temp WITHOUT a fire/heater. Test this out by your car or in your backyard
- Mentioned already, but build a reflector behind your fire. I don't have any good pics handy, but in the pic below of the fire, you can see the big snow covered log. I built the fire against this, stacked up larger logs in a criss-cross pattern, and it smoulders and reflects all the heat right back. Works 1000x better than just building a fire in a snow pit.
- Have a way of contacting someone (cell, inreach, etc). In the summer, you can usually get to a road and flag someone down. If you have a serious issue in the winter though, you can be VERY close to civilization and never see a single person.
- Be at peace with the fact that it's a lot of work. Be prepared to enjoy the work. In the summer you can backpack in, get a small fire going, relax and kick your feet back. In the winter you will *always* be doing something, if for no other reason than just to stay warm. I've had nights where it's plunged WAY lower than expected and I had to get up at 2AM, grab a shovel, and dig a huuuuge pit for zero reason other than to warm up, haha. But even if you are well prepared, there will be hiking, setting up, finding wood, processing wood, cooking, and the million times you have to layer/delayer/vent/zip up to prevent sweating during these activities. You'll be busy. I love the work, but some folks go camping to relax I guess, winter is probably not their bag.

I know there's a few folks on here who get out somewhat regularly in the winter, don't be afraid to ask questions! If you don't get an answer, feel free to PM me, I'm not on here much anymore.
The first bolded quote is why I like my lean-to. I like to go solo and the nights can feel pretty long. With the lean too I can relax out of the wind and feed the fire, watch the stars, feel the weather. I am sheltered but not cooped up. The worse the weather gets the more I prefer the tarp to a tent.

The second quote is so very true. So little day light, so many miles to snowshoe, so many tasks to complete. I remember this year thinking I would enjoy a little quiet time to watch the stars and think about life... having done this enough to know better my only excuse for such an absurd idea is that I must have been temporarily dillusional.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:00 PM

I am just west of Edmonton, I don't want to drive more than 2 hours.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:04 PM

Good info, one can never be too prepared. Thank you.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Anthony5, Good points made and thank you. I'm a seasoned woodsman but it's always good to point out safety. I would also bring the spare keys for your vehicle in case you loose them and keep them in your pocket. A second battery never hurts to have under your hood if you have the room. I keep a spare 12 volt rv battery under my hood rated at some serious cold cranking amps. I don't recall what brand but I picked it up from Canadian tire for about $400

You will find that when you winter camp you may tend to meet people you would not other wise. I would venture out for a weekend, you'll see
Good points Thanks