Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2016, 11:46 AM

Default Update on my job situation

Just recently got an offer to start an apprenticeship in sprinklerfitting but the job is up in Edmonton. Talked to the project manager today and he told me that the company has a lot of work lined up in Edmonton but none in Calgary. Initially I wanted to get into plumbing but as of right now there are no jobs out there available for someone starting new. Having to leave Calgary will be very difficult as I like it here and have lots of family that live here.

Ultimately I know only I can answer this but would this be an opportunity worth moving for?
Old 02-23-2016, 11:54 AM

I'd be asking myself...what's the harm in trying?

Does moving involve a potential sale of a house (maybe at a loss) or is it just a matter of renting a different place in a different town. That is about the only thing that might hold me back. Sometimes leaving family and friends for a bit is the only way to move forward and grow.

If nothing is going on where you then I'd be inclined to go for it. Worst case you find out what you DON'T want to do which can be just as important. If you make some cash in the meantime no harm no foul. I would not count on there being guaranteed work based on one persons word (know a few people that have been burned) but its not like there wouldn't be other jobs in Edmonton area or you could always move on again. Part of the life experience. Get out there and try things.

Good luck
Old 02-23-2016, 12:02 PM

Default sprinkler fitting

It has been a very good trade for me. I started in Ontario on the tools and eventually moved in design and now estimating. I was offered a position in Calgary and the company moved us and treated me very well. The trade has been good to me. It's different, but I find it interesting. A lot of jobs are the same but there sure is a lot of variety available. Good pay, good benefits, and good future if you maintain a good work ethic and learn lots. The trade has changed a lot in the 25 years I've been in it and technology keeps improving certain products. There's always something new to learn.
Try it. If you like it, finish it. The biggest problem I see is the number of guys that get to second year status and don't go back for school or finish the apprenticeship. After you have your ticket you can chase another one if you're unsatisfied. Especially if you're young enough.
As you said though, only you can decide.

Geo
Old 02-23-2016, 12:05 PM

I came to Edmonton in 2000 to work for the winter, I ended up staying until 2006 when I moved to Thorsby 45 minutes SW of the city. The honest truth is the Edmonton area is a way better place to be a tradesmen. Calgary isn't too far on weekends...
Old 02-23-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
I'd be asking myself...what's the harm in trying?

Does moving involve a potential sale of a house (maybe at a loss) or is it just a matter of renting a different place in a different town. That is about the only thing that might hold me back. Sometimes leaving family and friends for a bit is the only way to move forward and grow.

If nothing is going on where you then I'd be inclined to go for it. Worst case you find out what you DON'T want to do which can be just as important. If you make some cash in the meantime no harm no foul. I would not count on there being guaranteed work based on one persons word (know a few people that have been burned) but its not like there wouldn't be other jobs in Edmonton area or you could always move on again. Part of the life experience. Get out there and try things.

Good luck
Thanks for the advice. What you say is true.

Moving would involve paying for my mortgage in Calgary and at the same time paying for rent in Edmonton. It would mean being broke for a while and selling the property for a loss like you say unless I want to wait things through.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Thanks for the advice. What you say is true.

Moving would involve paying for my mortgage in Calgary and at the same time paying for rent in Edmonton. It would mean being broke for a while and selling the property for a loss like you say unless I want to wait things through.
Just rent out your Calgary property, that way it's paying for itself and you can always go back if needed.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklerdog View Post
It has been a very good trade for me. I started in Ontario on the tools and eventually moved in design and now estimating. I was offered a position in Calgary and the company moved us and treated me very well. The trade has been good to me. It's different, but I find it interesting. A lot of jobs are the same but there sure is a lot of variety available. Good pay, good benefits, and good future if you maintain a good work ethic and learn lots. The trade has changed a lot in the 25 years I've been in it and technology keeps improving certain products. There's always something new to learn.
Try it. If you like it, finish it. The biggest problem I see is the number of guys that get to second year status and don't go back for school or finish the apprenticeship. After you have your ticket you can chase another one if you're unsatisfied. Especially if you're young enough.
As you said though, only you can decide.

Geo
Are positions such as estimating and design difficult to get even if you end up becoming a journeyman?
Old 02-23-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerfart View Post
I came to Edmonton in 2000 to work for the winter, I ended up staying until 2006 when I moved to Thorsby 45 minutes SW of the city. The honest truth is the Edmonton area is a way better place to be a tradesmen. Calgary isn't too far on weekends...
True. Edmonton has been known as a blue collar town.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerfart View Post
Just rent out your Calgary property, that way it's paying for itself and you can always go back if needed.
That's a really good suggestion. Could look into doing something like that.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:54 PM
Banned

I just went through a similar situation and decided to stay where I'm at. This is my home and always has been so I'm staying put. I don't know what will happen, but I do know I have no intentions of returning to the career I was very, very successful at. If I'm still here, look back on this post in 20 years. I maybe still posting because of my choices. Some may look at this slow down as a very bad thing but to me what good is it if your dead way too prematurely because nothing changed. It's a blessing in disguise as I'm now seeing and all it took was me being away for a long period and then going back to pick up the rest of my belongings. Fruit for thought, wisdom will only follow in its path.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:58 PM

Default You might be fully covered

The rental market is in the tank right now as well. You might get cheap rent up north but you'll be receiving little rent in Calgary. That being said, as long as what you are getting for rent covers what you pay up north you won't be out of pocket.

Being a landlord is often miserable, not all renters are good and being 3 hrs up the highway can be a royal pain when the renter cracks a toilet.

I do agree with others...right now Calgary is dead, go where the work is. Make sure you finish your training...if you don't all your effort is lost.

Zeke
Old 02-24-2016, 01:08 PM

Default sprinklers

Having field experience / ticket usually makes for a better estimator. You'll have a better understanding of how the systems are installed and the challenges faced on site. Design is easier to do as well as you have an understanding of how the systems are installed. Estimators and designers don't make as much a fitters normally do but then the work isn't as physical. Design usually needs a good understand of autocad and how to use it. If you don't like computers the drawing aspect can be tough. It's also more boring.

Geo
Old 02-24-2016, 01:10 PM
Banned

So does this mean you're going to change your moniker to 'GoOilers'
Old 02-24-2016, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post

I heard most Flame fans are closet Oiler fans anyways, so it is not a big move.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:38 PM

Tons of plumbing companies looking for employees here in lethbridge.

Go on kijiji and you will see one or 2 probably on the first page of jobs.

Plumbing companies seem to be very short handed down here
Old 02-24-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Tons of plumbing companies looking for employees here in lethbridge.

Go on kijiji and you will see one or 2 probably on the first page of jobs.

Plumbing companies seem to be very short handed down here
I have an interview tomorrow in Calgary but if that doesn't work out for whatever reason I could look into Lethbridge. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
There would be no sense in doing that as both teams are quite miserable at the moment. I also like stay to stay loyal.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I heard most Flame fans are closet Oiler fans anyways, so it is not a big move.
lol nice try
Old 02-24-2016, 07:05 PM

Good to hear.

My search hasn't been so lucky.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 02-24-2016, 08:45 PM
Banned

Default Best of luck to the OP

The only thing worse than having a job....is looking for one

FTH