Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Payment goes up another $8 b/w

You're bitching about 20. a month ? If things are that tight, better be considering another option, like a good dependable used vehicle.

Grizz
$20/month over a period of years adds up to thousands.

And there's the principle of the thing. OP walked away from the dealership with an agreement. Now he's being told that that is changing. Yes, he should have got it in writing; but the dealership is going back on their word. I would see that as a huge violation of my trust.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-17-2017, 07:53 AM

I understood the increase was $32.00 +_ per mo total plus interest. Over the financing term, that adds up. Seems they want another 2G from you.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:57 AM

You are dealing with slime balls!!!! That extra $2,600 they are trying to grab you for is doubling the profit they make. Yeah its only $20 every two weeks, but that is how they suck you into buying despite their scumbag tactics. It really is a much bigger chunk over 5 years.

Run away and never come back. Be happy you learned what a bunch of slime balls these guys are BEFORE you get screwed somewhere else down the line. There is no deal good enough to make it worth dealing with bald faced liars and crooks.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:03 AM

They are trying to sell you on monthly payment, not unit price! It's easier for them to say a extra $16 by weekly, than say a extra $4500.00, people get suckered in like this all the time!
Old 08-17-2017, 08:14 AM

I would call Honda Canada and tell them about How the dealer ship is representing their product. Auto Manufactures can pull some weight. I know of a couple Chrysler dealerships that got tuned in because of bad customer service. Even threatening to Contact Honda Canada might have some pull. Then I would take my money and go somewhere else!
I hate sales men!!!!!!!!
Brad
Old 08-17-2017, 08:24 AM

It's been about 5 years since I bought a brand new vehicle but I used to be a member of a website of www.carcostcanada.com

For $30 you can use the site 10 times. You pull up any make and model and build your vehicle on the site. It then emails you dealer cost plus all applicable factory incentives, etc. It states right on the email that the dealership is obliged to sell to you at this price plus 3%.

I spent 3 weeks negotiating on an F-150 with Denny Andrews and then heard about this site and for $30 I thought why not, I'm about to spend $50k it's worth a shot...

Long story short, about 20 minutes after building my truck on the site and getting the email I got a call from Waterloo Ford. They told me they have the vehicle in stock and the price they gave me was $1500 better than Denny Andrews with zero negotiating. Trucks was the exact same. Just walked in and signed the paperwork, no hassle, no ****ing around with greasy car sales reps, etc.

I also shared a couple of my 10 uses with a cousin when he was looking at a Dodge. I drove him around to dealerships and while he was inside negotiating a price on a truck, I did the CarCost thing on my ipad in the parking lot. I got a call from a Dodge dealership about 10 minutes later offering a price better than he just stuck by $1000.

The site doesn't work for Toyota due to their "Access Pricing" thing but it's worked well and saved a bunch of hassle on Doge and Ford, might be worth looking into for Honda.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:32 AM
Suspended User

Car salesman and door to door vacuum salesmen... . Generally should be avoided.

Don't fall for it. The salesman knew what he was doing. Would you put a deposit on a home and then live with a changed deal? In this economy, you can get a war going amongst the dealerships. Make them work. They are going to slither all over trying to get your money.
Play hard to get and see what happens.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
I would tell him to give you your money back and stick it!

Tell them that and I suspect they will find a way to shave off $8 month to save the deal. $4 a month more isn't a big deal, but it's the principle of the thing for me.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:04 AM

You went to them. Remind them of that. They made the offer and accepted, remind them of that. If they won't stick to the original deal, and they won't, walk to the next place.
It is 100% a buyers market right now.
Don't be in a huge rush, they smell that like rotting flesh in the water, which is what they feed on.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-17-2017, 09:51 AM

When talking with car salesmen I usually say to them

I don`t want to talk to the monkey, could you please direct me to the organ grinder....

They hate it...but it usually gets results!!!
Old 08-17-2017, 10:39 AM

I would walk away. You had a deal and now they are changing it. They are just trying to get what they can and think you will give in.

Tell them you want your deposit back. If they say fine we will give you what we originally agreed on, then try to add some additional things for the same price. See how they like it. When we bought our trucks new last year, we told them we would walk away if they didn't include the 3m, mud flaps, etc. Worst case scenario is they say no and you still get the original deal.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
I would walk away. You had a deal and now they are changing it. They are just trying to get what they can and think you will give in.

Tell them you want your deposit back. If they say fine we will give you what we originally agreed on, then try to add some additional things for the same price. See how they like it. When we bought our trucks new last year, we told them we would walk away if they didn't include the 3m, mud flaps, etc. Worst case scenario is they say no and you still get the original deal.
Yes....

But if that still doesn't work and if $220 B/W is your budget and no other dealer was even close to that, then you need to get the original purchase down , perhaps by going to a demo or used, different brand / model, something with less options etc.

There is always other fish in the sea....
Old 08-17-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Payment goes up another $8 b/w

You're bitching about 20. a month ? If things are that tight, better be considering another option, like a good dependable used vehicle.

Grizz
Here's the thing. The extra money isn't the issue at all. In fact even with the extra money, I'm still under what I was PREPARED to spend.

The issue here is we negotiated a deal on this a month ago. I've brought it up to them about 5 times in the past month that I wanted to get the paperwork finalized on this. Each time it was answered by them saying they didn't want to finalize anything until we'd test drove the vehicle (even though I'd driven one elsewhere...). When this bs came up yesterday, it became clear why they didn't want to finalize anything. They're hoping that seeing the vehicle (probably specifically my wife seeing the vehicle) would make me agree to "just another $8 b/w" (I mean it's only an extra few thousand dollars, right?).

It says a lot about the character of these guys. Another question though...how tied am I to this dealership for warranty work anyway? I thought that was through the manufacturer, not the dealership?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You went to them. Remind them of that. They made the offer and accepted, remind them of that. If they won't stick to the original deal, and they won't, walk to the next place.
It is 100% a buyers market right now.
Don't be in a huge rush, they smell that like rotting flesh in the water, which is what they feed on.
Actually...time for my proudest moment...they offered $210 b/w... I said "no if you can get it to $220 b/w I'll be fine"... I had to pick my jaw up off the floor as the last few words were coming out of my mouth. I still can't believe that one.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterM View Post
Here's the thing. The extra money isn't the issue at all. In fact even with the extra money, I'm still under what I was PREPARED to spend.

The issue here is we negotiated a deal on this a month ago. I've brought it up to them about 5 times in the past month that I wanted to get the paperwork finalized on this. Each time it was answered by them saying they didn't want to finalize anything until we'd test drove the vehicle (even though I'd driven one elsewhere...). When this bs came up yesterday, it became clear why they didn't want to finalize anything. They're hoping that seeing the vehicle (probably specifically my wife seeing the vehicle) would make me agree to "just another $8 b/w" (I mean it's only an extra few thousand dollars, right?).

It says a lot about the character of these guys. Another question though...how tied am I to this dealership for warranty work anyway? I thought that was through the manufacturer, not the dealership?
The issue is that you didn't actually negotiate a deal, you just think you did. They used some slimeball tactics to get you back in the door and so far you have played into their games.

You have 3 options. Suck it up and pay the extra, play hard ball and hope they accept or just tell them to get lost and give your money back. Whichever you choose you want to get it done instead of dragging the process out. The longer you leave your deposit in their hands the less chance you will have of getting it back if you decide to go that route.

Here is what I personally would do.

I would phone another dealer and ask them if they are willing to match the offer sheet you had for 229(or can try and get them lower but showing an actual offer sheet should make them more ready to accept). Tell them you don't like the way the other dealer is treating you and that you would like to do the business with them instead.

If they are willing to match I would then ask the dealer you are currently dealing with for your money back because you are going elsewhere. If they offer you a better deal in hopes you will stay then it is up to you if you would rather pay that scumbags salary to save a few bucks or say screw them and go elsewhere to support a better run business.

As for taking your car elsewhere to get service/warranty I don't think it would be an issue but I don't know Honda's policies specifically. With a good dealership if they know you bought the vehicle from them and you bring it to them regularly for services etc you are probably more likely to get a deal if you ever run into a non warranty issue. Buying the cheapest vehicle you can find each time is tempting but you are better off in the long run if you can develop a good relationship with a specific dealer and then you might be able work out deals on parts, service, new vehicles etc in the future.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:08 PM

Ahh play the game.
They are just working you.
Tell them there is 18% daily interest on that deposit.

Calculate the amount of extra, then say ok, but to make it fair, give me $2.5k in service vouchers.

Work em back , Hard.

They are the best negotiators out there.
Anyone who says they got a great deal from a dealership, usually got ripped off.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
The issue is that you didn't actually negotiate a deal, you just think you did. They used some slimeball tactics to get you back in the door and so far you have played into their games.

You have 3 options. Suck it up and pay the extra, play hard ball and hope they accept or just tell them to get lost and give your money back. Whichever you choose you want to get it done instead of dragging the process out. The longer you leave your deposit in their hands the less chance you will have of getting it back if you decide to go that route.

Here is what I personally would do.

I would phone another dealer and ask them if they are willing to match the offer sheet you had for 229(or can try and get them lower but showing an actual offer sheet should make them more ready to accept). Tell them you don't like the way the other dealer is treating you and that you would like to do the business with them instead.

If they are willing to match I would then ask the dealer you are currently dealing with for your money back because you are going elsewhere. If they offer you a better deal in hopes you will stay then it is up to you if you would rather pay that scumbags salary to save a few bucks or say screw them and go elsewhere to support a better run business.

As for taking your car elsewhere to get service/warranty I don't think it would be an issue but I don't know Honda's policies specifically. With a good dealership if they know you bought the vehicle from them and you bring it to them regularly for services etc you are probably more likely to get a deal if you ever run into a non warranty issue. Buying the cheapest vehicle you can find each time is tempting but you are better off in the long run if you can develop a good relationship with a specific dealer and then you might be able work out deals on parts, service, new vehicles etc in the future.

Very well thought out and detailed. Excellent advice. In my case however I will pay more NOT to deal with scumbags of this type. As far as getting your deposit back, they have no way to hold onto it, they don't have a signed deal with you and even if they do they can't hold you to it. Alberta Law is on your side.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterM View Post
Looking for some advice.

My wife and I just had our 3rd son and are having to trade in a little SUV for a minivan. We worked out a deal with a local dealership about a month ago for a 2018 Honda Odyssey. After some negotiations, I told him if he could get the payments down to $220 b/w on the term we'd put the deposit down immediately. He said he could do that. So we put down a deposit to hold the vehicle.

Fast forward to today. I go in there to pick up the van. He tells me he accidentally used the wrong interest rate. The payment increased by $8 b/w. He suggested we split the difference. I told him he should try to make the original price work. He said he'd talk to the manager. Next he comes back and says he used the wrong trade in value for my SUV too. Payment goes up another $8 b/w.

So this is all...words I can't say. Not really sure how to proceed at this point. Any thoughts??

Thanks (and sorry for any typos),

Carter

I'd walk. You owe them nothing.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Very well thought out and detailed. Excellent advice. In my case however I will pay more NOT to deal with scumbags of this type. As far as getting your deposit back, they have no way to hold onto it, they don't have a signed deal with you and even if they do they can't hold you to it. Alberta Law is on your side.
I am just saying if he has to get banks, credit card companies or lawyers involved to try and get his deposit back that it will be an easier and faster process if it happens right away compared to if he waits days/weeks to dispute the charge.

Not much to think about he just needs to decide which option to go with and get it done. Wasting time fretting over things like this just causes unnecessary stress, I know because I am bad for doing stuff like this myself lol...

Live and learn, next time make sure you get the deal in writing before leaving a deposit. No writing no deposit.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I am just saying if he has to get banks, credit card companies or lawyers involved to try and get his deposit back that it will be an easier and faster process if it happens right away compared to if he waits days/weeks to dispute the charge.

Not much to think about he just needs to decide which option to go with and get it done. Wasting time fretting over things like this just causes unnecessary stress, I know because I am bad for doing stuff like this myself lol...

Live and learn, next time make sure you get the deal in writing before leaving a deposit. No writing no deposit.
I absolutely agree with you. The sooner the better. It willl definitely get harder if he waits. Decide and moce forward. Enough dithering.