Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2017, 06:57 AM

One sort of intangible value (and esteem booster) in tying your own flies is giving a few that are working or have worked to a fishing buddy, or a friend, or even a stranger at the lake/stream, and then seeing them catch fish or hearing about it. Unlikely that one will give away flies that you bought in a store for $$$'s!

Or if you're really nasty, give them some that you absolutely know won't work but claim that "that's weird, they worked for me"
Old 08-16-2017, 10:10 AM

Buy don't tie. Tying is like cancer, it just grows and grows. Mind you, I'm not sure that my marriage would have survived the purchase of the near 5,000 flies typically carried through the summer.
And reminds me, I need more flies - Bye.

Don
Old 08-16-2017, 12:43 PM

I still occasionally buy some, even though I've been tying for 20+ yrs. If I am on a site or in a store that has something that looks interesting, I'll try 1/2doz to see how they work, before I bother with acquiring materials (if necc) and tying them.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runewolf1973 View Post
I would never spend that kind of money on tying flies. My entire kit cost me a little over a hundred dollars and I got everything I need to make all the flies I need, including pike flies. It all fits inside a shopping basket. If you're the type that needs the most expensive, fancy vise or the most premium feathers then of course it will not be economical to tie flies. I am the creative type and I get creative when the money isn't there. You can probably find most of what you need to make some really decent pike flies from a dollar store. You won't be able to match exact patterns found in books, but you can create your own patterns. If you want to match the exact patterns of all the different flies found in books, you will no doubt spend a sh** ton of money for all the different materials you'll need. I prefer creative over costly.

Like someone above said...different strokes for different folks.
"You get what you pay for." GIGO