Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-18-2017, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbydee View Post
Wealth management at RBC.
Tom is the Executive and son Cam works on his team.

FOSS Wealth Management under RBC dominion securities.

Must be doing well. Good for them. Proof that hardcore bow hunters can also be wealthy. The percentage is not in my favor but ill keep dreaming that one day I can be a millionaire and a bowhunter lol.

Congrats to the lucky buggers that won. I was hoping id get the elk or mule.
Good luck to the successful ones on getting the trophy of a life time.
good to hear that they can afford all those tickets they bought
Old 08-18-2017, 09:42 AM

Awesome list of names for the winners. Chris and Cam are both well deserving and great hunters. I don't know Robert but I'm sure he will enjoy it.

Looking forward to see what kind of monsters they can find this fall.

Good luck to the winners and everyone else chasing critters this fall!

Hopefully the AFGA puts this money to good use and we all benefit in future years with good resource management.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
And who are they and what is their significance?
From my online digging..

Father: Tom Foss, Sons: Adam & Cam. Successful financial advisers with RBC. Hardcore bowhunters, sheep experts, Sitka sponsored athletes. Quite the family!
Old 08-18-2017, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
Awesome list of names for the winners. Chris and Cam are both well deserving and great hunters. I don't know Robert but I'm sure he will enjoy it.

Looking forward to see what kind of monsters they can find this fall.

Good luck to the winners and everyone else chasing critters this fall!

Hopefully the AFGA puts this money to good use and we all benefit in future years with good resource management.

Robert is a great guy and an awesome outdoorsmen. I don't think there is much he hasn't hunted or fished for. From polar bear to desert sheep, Africa, most of the "stans", Europe, Mediterranean, Australia, New Zealand and on and on. Fishing pretty much the same.
I know he will really enjoy this hunt as he always does.

I'm glad he was successful on the draw!

Looks like overall some very deserving winners.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:48 PM

Compared to the cost of the other Sheep Ministers Tag sold at The Sheep Show! I'd say he got a hell of a deal.

PAST AUCTION PRICES:
2011 - $195,000
2012 - $150,000
2013 - $150,000
2014 - $145,000
2015 - $125,000
2016 - $120,000
A 5% buyers premium + fees and taxes

Probably wouldn't hurt to impose a rule on how many tickets one person or group can buy. Otherwise it's not much a raffle.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathier99 View Post
Compared to the cost of the other Sheep Ministers Tag sold at The Sheep Show! I'd say he got a hell of a deal.

PAST AUCTION PRICES:
2011 - $195,000
2012 - $150,000
2013 - $150,000
2014 - $145,000
2015 - $125,000
2016 - $120,000

Probably wouldn't hurt to impose a rule on how many tickets one person or group can buy. Otherwise it's not much a raffle.
Why? I've never bought tickets on a raffle where you were only allowed to buy a certain number of tickets. Stars or Home lotteries don't impose such rules. Buy as many as your bank account will allow. Even if someone buys 75% of the tickets there is still a 1 in 4 chance they won't get drawn.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathier99 View Post

PAST AUCTION PRICES:
2011 - $195,000
2012 - $150,000
2013 - $150,000
2014 - $145,000
2015 - $125,000
2016 - $120,000

If someone buys 50 tickets and I buy one, it increases their odds but it doesn't affect mine.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch donkey View Post
If someone buys 50 tickets and I buy one, it increases their odds but it doesn't affect mine.
Your right. Except when you can't buy a ticket. There were 8000 tickets available. 80000 bucks for all. As you can see with the prices listed, which are american dollars also. It's a deal to buy them all. If they had enough tickets to make the purchase of all less of an incentive, or limited the number one person can purchase, it would allow the "average Albertan" a chance to win. Which I believe was the point of having a minister raffle tag only for residents when these tags came to be
Old 08-19-2017, 07:58 AM

Seems rigged to me i will not be buying tickets for the sheep ever again.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
"Rigged" might be too harsh a word to use since there is no rule that says one person cannot buy every ticket. Does make one wonder if it should still be called a "lottery" when only one person can win.
In any case, the goal was to sell as many tickets as possible to raise money for a specific cause and selling every ticket has to be considered a success. Maybe they should raise the number of tickets sold to 100,000 or 150,000 next year, or raise the price of each ticket. The demand seems to be there.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post

I agree elkslayer, How many years in a row now for the Foss family with that tag? 5?
Old 08-19-2017, 10:15 AM

Paid hunting going to highest bidder....just a thought.

LC
Old 08-19-2017, 10:31 AM

Seems like a lot of jealous people on here. Can people not just be happy for anyone on this forum any more. I see a lot of the attitude of "if I didn't win then we have to change the rules so I have a better chance of winning".

Why didn't you guys buy your 50 tickets per day until they ran out? Don't have the money? Get a different job then. If you're not willing to make changes to your life to put yourself in the same position to buy as many tags as you want then stop complaining. We should not change the rules to limit those who have made the changes to suit the needs of those who complain the loudest because they are upset they didn't win.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:19 AM
Banned

The odds are always pretty good in a one man raffle!
Old 08-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
I don't think these draws were really designed so everyone has the same chance, most raffles aren't. This raffle especially is all about the fund raising for a good cause.......should not lose site of that.

But it does go to show how much people would spend for a specific tag, if all you had to do was buy/bid on it!
Old 08-19-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Should point out I don't agree with the statement above but I have heard it said.

LC
Old 08-19-2017, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I don't think these draws were really designed so everyone has the same chance, most raffles aren't. This raffle especially is all about the fund raising for a good cause.......should not lose site of that.

But it does go to show how much people would spend for a specific tag, if all you had to do was buy/bid on it!
Out of the total money brought in, I would like to know how much goes back into md, elk and sheep habitat throughout the province.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
Seems like a lot of jealous people on here. Can people not just be happy for anyone on this forum any more. I see a lot of the attitude of "if I didn't win then we have to change the rules so I have a better chance of winning".

Why didn't you guys buy your 50 tickets per day until they ran out? Don't have the money? Get a different job then. If you're not willing to make changes to your life to put yourself in the same position to buy as many tags as you want then stop complaining. We should not change the rules to limit those who have made the changes to suit the needs of those who complain the loudest because they are upset they didn't win.

I have to say this seems like a silly, naive, ill-informed statement.

I dont know the lucky winner outside a couple online comments but by all accounts this is a good guy with a passion and some means. He is definitely a friend of hunting in general and sheep hunting specifically. I have no problem with him buying all these tickets within the rules of theze raffles. That doesn't mean that the system isn't flawed.

The idea of these auction tags to raise money did in fact smell a little like paid hunting, so to balance the field the raffle was incorporated so people like myself that don't have the means can still add their donation to the cause with the added benefit of an oppurtunity to win the same tag. This system fit the ethics of North American hunting much better than a straight auction that most of us can't participate in.

Next any raffle in Alberta over 10 000 has a minimum payout of 25%, which means if this tag is worth 100 000 at the auction then the raffle could legally print 400 000 in tickets. As it stands this raffle is lossing money. Also you can't limit the number of tickets to any person, that is why last year after AFGA tried to limit ticket sales they had to change back. If the value of the tickets available is less than the real value of the tag then this is just good common sense if you can get them all, but it doesn't stand up to the intent of what it is supposed to represent.

If the intent of this raffle is to raise money and offer an oppurtunity for all Alberta hunters to add their money to that cause then they should up the value of tickets available by either increasing the number of tickets or uping the price of each ticket, at the very least, to match the value of the auction tag value. There is no other big ticket lottery that has a prize that exceeds the value of the tickets available.

This is by no means a criticism of the tag winner, I'd be competing with him for those tickets if I had the means but it is a flawed system as it is setup.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
I have to say this seems like a silly, naive, ill-informed statement.

I dont know the lucky winner outside a couple online comments but by all accounts this is a good guy with a passion and some means. He is definitely a friend of hunting in general and sheep hunting specifically. I have no problem with him buying all these tickets within the rules of theze raffles. That doesn't mean that the system isn't flawed.

The idea of these auction tags to raise money did in fact smell a little like paid hunting, so to balance the field the raffle was incorporated so people like myself that don't have the means can still add their donation to the cause with the added benefit of an oppurtunity to win the same tag. This system fit the ethics of North American hunting much better than a straight auction that most of us can't participate in.

Next any raffle in Alberta over 10 000 has a minimum payout of 25%, which means if this tag is worth 100 000 at the auction then the raffle could legally print 400 000 in tickets. As it stands this raffle is lossing money. Also you can't limit the number of tickets to any person, that is why last year after AFGA tried to limit ticket sales they had to change back. If the value of the tickets available is less than the real value of the tag then this is just good common sense if you can get them all, but it doesn't stand up to the intent of what it is supposed to represent.

If the intent of this raffle is to raise money and offer an oppurtunity for all Alberta hunters to add their money to that cause then they should up the value of tickets available by either increasing the number of tickets or uping the price of each ticket, at the very least, to match the value of the auction tag value. There is no other big ticket lottery that has a prize that exceeds the value of the tickets available.

This is by no means a criticism of the tag winner, I'd be competing with him for those tickets if I had the means but it is a flawed system as it is setup.
Yup-well said
Old 08-19-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...ad0c4185e7.png
Old 08-20-2017, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlered View Post
Your right. Except when you can't buy a ticket. There were 8000 tickets available. 80000 bucks for all. As you can see with the prices listed, which are american dollars also. It's a deal to buy them all. If they had enough tickets to make the purchase of all less of an incentive, or limited the number one person can purchase, it would allow the "average Albertan" a chance to win. Which I believe was the point of having a minister raffle tag only for residents when these tags came to be

I can understand that. But I didn't realize there was a shortage of tickets. There always seems to be plenty for sale at the boat and sportsman show. And not I or anyone I know have ever had an issue getting tickets. I'm sure more could be printed though.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:09 PM

Interesting thread. I wanted to buy tickets either just before or just after the Calgary Boat & Sportsman show but was disappointed to see that the sheep were sold out.
If there is enough demand the ticket numbers should be increased to allow all that are interested to be able to buy a ticket. When tickets sell out early it should be a signal to the increase the number of tickets the following year.
IMHO
Old 09-02-2017, 01:41 AM

Default Foss Family

FACT this is the third year the FOSS family has won or bought the minsters tag. His father had it the past two years and shot two great rams. MONEY TALKS GUYS
Old 09-02-2017, 08:56 PM

It usually does.