Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-25-2015, 09:29 AM

Default How is the moose hunting in WMU 512?

Hi all,

Early season moose draw for WMU 512. Never hunted the area for moose before. Looking for some feedback.

Last edited by Unionmade; 07-25-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:12 AM

Default 512

There's moose there, check swampy areas and river valleys ...dat's where you'll find them !
Old 07-26-2015, 11:16 AM

I hunted 512 for 8 years now. We had 3 late season tags last year. Hunted for 6 days, seen a cow and calf. Not like it was 5 years ago thats for sure. Get off the main trails and put some miles on is my suggestion. Lots of hunting pressure. Ive given up in that zone after a few slow years. Good luck
Old 07-27-2015, 06:24 AM

Good luck never having hunted the unit. You can get lucky, but most groups we would run into that had previous experience had a tough time the last 10 years.
We would roll in to setup camp and run into groups having been there for a week with a few tags and going home empty handed.
We always seemed to be lucky. I never knew the area as well as the guys that I was with as it was their camp setup. I would put on the miles big time and see a few cows, they somehow would manage to put a bull on the ground in the most common of areas close to camp with little issue.
They would come to my area and have the same luck. It seems to really pay off knowing where to focus your hunting and effort when the hunting is tough and in these times it never showed more with our results.

This unit hands out a lot of tags, harvest success rates appear good on paper, but appear different in person from my experience in this area. Most likely due to the number of people hunting the area. You can count on always finding other hunters no matter how far back you push it seems.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:54 AM

Decent area with alot of hunting pressure. Buddy went in last season with a late season moose tag and brought back a nice size black wolf. I think he was hunting east side of the Wmu, northwest of conklin. Lots of lease roads and muskeg. Take a white tail tag along