Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-09-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I buy lots of tags because I MAY be down in a certain area or hunt a certain
WMU but rarely use them all
However, it saves scrambling if I do get the opurtunity

Cat
Exactly...I buy them for the opportunity that they each offer, not necessarily to use them all inclusively.

LC
Old 11-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Banned

I blame it on the government and all the east coasters that come here for work. <br />
<br />
Have alberta address b'y? Here's your tag.<br/>

What exactly are you blaming on the east coasters? I'm from new Brunswick and lived and hunted and paid taxes in Alberta since 2006. So I'm curious how I'm to blame, or others who have done the same as I have.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I always buy a selection of tags. Not that I intend to fill them all, but it covers what I might see.

Grizz
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
I always have more tags than I intend to even attempt to fill. Reason being is I want to opportunity to hunt more places for more game with diferent weapons.
The hunt is far more important than the kill.
These ^^ replies about covers it for me.
I buy Gen Elk,GWT,GMD,2 supps and black bear.
I focus on getting my elk first and foremost.
I'm only interested in killing BIG WT bucks these days and pass on lots,but might take a doe if the mood strikes me?
I hunt several WMUs over the season,some allow General MD...hate to have to pass a 200"er because I cheaped out on buying tags.
A true monster blacky or good size color phase would tickle the trigger...other then that,they get a pass.
Not likely nor do I have any intentions of filling all 4 deer tags any given year.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:38 AM

I need 2 b.t. Deer and 1 bear. Deer for us, bear for us and the dog. As well as we use the hide & fat.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:40 AM

if i have a tag for it, im sure hunting for it. havent filled any yet though, hopefully i get my elk and whitetail does next week
Old 11-10-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I don't try to fill every tag I have. As a matter of fact, for the first time in 40 years of hunting whitetails, I'm not going to try for one first year due to the alarming low whitetail numbers in my home zone of 232. I certainly don't need to kill everything I can. If I want to go out and shoot something, it will be coyotes I'm after. I believe that part of the problem with our deer numbers is the stupid amount of tags that were available the last several years. I would like nothing better than to se whitetails go on a draw, the same as mule deer, in the zones that are having trouble.
X2
Old 11-10-2014, 07:31 AM

I buy ever tag i can dont always fill but would hate to wake up and walk outside my tent and seeing a elk licking the salt off my truck .and i have no tag .. I hang few tags every year on the christmas tree

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 11-10-2014, 07:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I don't try to fill every tag I have. As a matter of fact, for the first time in 40 years of hunting whitetails, I'm not going to try for one first year due to the alarming low whitetail numbers in my home zone of 232. I certainly don't need to kill everything I can. If I want to go out and shoot something, it will be coyotes I'm after. I believe that part of the problem with our deer numbers is the stupid amount of tags that were available the last several years. I would like nothing better than to se whitetails go on a draw, the same as mule deer, in the zones that are having trouble.
What do you mean by "stupid amount of tags"?....a fella can ONLY tag something like 12 deer/4 bucks if he takes advantage of EVERY opportunity,draw and season,and has nothing but time,permission,and unlimited fuel to travel all over Hell's half acre all fall,lol.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fog View Post
I was granted GHL status by the local Hunters & Trapers Assocation. I was supplying a couple of Church ladies and 4 Nurse gals in the Health Center with table ready Arctic Char & Caribou.
$10.70 Bought me my Netting liscence and I was allowed to harvest 15 Caribou.
Also unlimited sea mammals, so i could supply seals & etc. to the local ladies for fur processing and the meat went table fair & to the dog team guys.
The good old 06 got a real work out in those days.
Note to you tack drivers out there --- here's your target a Ring Seal -- head up bobbing in the waves while you are in a boat also moveing with the waves & currents. Mr. Seal's head presents a six inch target.
Range varies from 20 feet to 100 yards.
A good story teller would try to make you believe that my kill rate was 100%.
So I'll fess up --- I'm not that good a story teller --- lol.
I think you told the story pretty good. I got a chuckle out of it. thanks