Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-04-2014, 07:55 PM

Default Crawling Valley Res for Waterfowl

Just wondering if any hunts on the reservoir for ducks and how it is. Thinking of trying the north end of the lake with the canoe to find a nice spot to set up decoys. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:23 PM

Default some of those reservoirs are considered staging areas have serious restrictions

Not familiar with that one but Blood Indian I think it is November before you can hunt it. Dont know about Crawling but you should check.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Not familiar with that one but Blood Indian I think it is November before you can hunt it. Dont know about Crawling but you should check.
I'll have a look at the regs too. November would be a little difficult playing ice breaker with the canoe. I have a few spots around Airdrie and Brooks but looking for a place that's not so far. I know DU controls the north end of the lake.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:49 AM

CVR is in 152 which opens on Sept 8 for ducks and geese. I used to hunt it starting about 5 years ago when I was first starting out for waterfowl. Lots of teal and mallards. When we hunted it there were usually geese around, although they always seemed to be too far west over the fields. It was tough to get them to come into our spread (we were hunting over water with a canoe). We were also novices and our calling was not great, so that could have had something to do with it haha. We would usually get close to our limits of ducks and 1-2 geese per guy.

We've since found better over-water shoots, and to be honest I prefer hunting in fields vs over water since I don't have a dog, but if you go you should be able to knock down some ducks.

I will warn you it was fairly busy, we were constantly hearing other shots. Not sure how it is now, as we haven't hunted it in about 3 years.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it's just as busy as any other place these days. I'll have to go there in the evening so I can find my way around as it's my first time there. I like field hunting but there's something about hunting on the water that does it for me. Maybe I was a duck dog in another life. Lol