Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-05-2019, 07:18 PM

Exclamation Porcupine Hills blocked track

Just a warning for anybody planning to hunt Porcupine Hills any time soon.

There's a 5th wheel trailer blocking the track at grid 11U QR 15091 28082. It's impassable and the track leading up to it is all rutted out. It is full of firewood though!

Happy hunting!
Old 11-06-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick288 View Post
Just a warning for anybody planning to hunt Porcupine Hills any time soon.

There's a 5th wheel trailer blocking the track at grid 11U QR 15091 28082. It's impassable and the track leading up to it is all rutted out. It is full of firewood though!

Happy hunting!
That would suck. I know those roads fairly well and that particular spot would be hard to bypass the trailer, regardless of what type of vehicle you going around it with (truck, quad, etc)

Too bad that the trailer is most likely there for the winter - not sure what type of truck would be needed to pull it out of there, but it'll take some work. My truck wouldn't do it (or maybe I wouldn't want to try to do it?)

For those that don't know the Military coordinate system, the converted UTM coords are 11U 715091E 5528082N.

J.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:15 AM

Is this a regular road, that is blocked, if so Im sure the country people already know about this, if not a regular road, hook up and skid it out of the way
Old 11-06-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Is this a regular road, that is blocked, if so Im sure the country people already know about this, if not a regular road, hook up and skid it out of the way
It's a county road that has a small section of it in private land. The section within private land is closed off now as the land owner had trespasser issues / theft issues and got ticked off (I've known him all my life - nicest guy and I don't blame him one bit). But you can still access where the trailer is from the North and unfortunately it is in a location that is blocking access to another road going up and over into great hunting grounds.

I agree - tug the trailer out of the way. However, if the owner is there (or comes along) there may be words....

J.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
It's a county road that has a small section of it in private land. The section within private land is closed off now as the land owner had trespasser issues / theft issues and got ticked off (I've known him all my life - nicest guy and I don't blame him one bit). But you can still access where the trailer is from the North and unfortunately it is in a location that is blocking access to another road going up and over into great hunting grounds.

I agree - tug the trailer out of the way. However, if the owner is there (or comes along) there may be words....

J.
So if the county road needed to use private land, then IM sure there is a easement where there county paid the private land owner for the road to go through,
Old 11-06-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
So if the county road needed to use private land, then IM sure there is a easement where there county paid the private land owner for the road to go through,
Not in this situation. That portion of the road is deeded to the landowner. Don't recommend trespassing either. This fellow is a good man and I don't blame him one bit for closing access off.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:52 AM

Someone could have just posted a pin on google maps and shared the link to make this a lot easier to understand where this is.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Someone could have just posted a pin on google maps and shared the link to make this a lot easier to understand where this is.
All you had to do was input the coordinates yourself...

I included Hwy 22 and 520 as a ref.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg porcupine.jpg (68.8 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by CNP; 11-06-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Tags
porcupine hills pluz