Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-07-2013, 02:39 PM

Default Youth duck hunting?

I am trying to find out if my 13 yr old can legally hunt migratory game birds in Alberta and does he need a federal migratory bird license. He's got his win card and Alberta youth wildlife cert/game bird licence. He'll be hunting with me , his dad. I got all my stuff. Thanks for any info.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:54 PM

From what I can tell from the migratory game bird regs he can only hunt on waterfowl heritage days with a mentor that has a migratory bird permit and the mentor can't hunt. Is this right. Trying to find out when heritage days are.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:24 PM

I screwed. I could have been hunting ducks with my kid today. I would have known this had the people at the 7 11 post office given me the regs with my permit. I should have asked for it. Oh well we still have tommorow. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:25 PM

Heritage days are today and tomorrow. I believe. As stated your son can hunt this weekend only without a stamp. But you may not have a weapon in your possession. If he gets his stamp. You can both lock load whackem n stack em. Happy hunting!
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 09-07-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupped N Committed View Post
Heritage days are today and tomorrow. I believe. As stated your son can hunt this weekend only without a stamp. But you may not have a weapon in your possession. If he gets his stamp. You can both lock load whackem n stack em. Happy hunting!
x2 aslong as he gets his stamp for after tomorrow your good to go
Old 09-07-2013, 03:56 PM

I still got it wrong then. Thought I just bought a new shotgun for nothing. We'll go get his stamp and permit from the post office. Watching someone hunt would make me nuts. Especially on opening day. Thanks guys.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:02 PM

First of all. You can NEVER buy a shotgun for nothin. Lol. And if you had to watch anyone drop some birds.....who better than your son for the first time? At least then there wouldn't be any false claiming of downed birds. Lol not that this ever happens with anyone else. Lol
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 09-07-2013, 04:31 PM

I new my " shotgun for nothing" comment would be criticized. But I would not have needed another 12 gauge for steel shot if we can't both hunt ducks. He will be getting first crack at the birds tommorow. It will be a big deal to see him take his first bird. Been out with him shooting clays so he's somewhat prepared. I think I am more excited than he is. Lol
Old 09-07-2013, 06:10 PM

So I just want to make sure I got this right now. If we both want to hunt tommorow we obviously both need all three permits. If only my son was going to hunt tomorrow, as long as I had all my permits my son would be the only one legally able to hunt. So only one shotgun between the two of us. Is this Right. Would not want to end the day with grief.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:06 PM

Yup you got it! As long as there's only one gun, make it a friendly competition. Pass the broomstick back and forth between flocks. I would think this is fine if he doesn't have his stamp. Because if he is shooting you are in direct supervision. And if you are shooting. You are licensed to do so. But make darn sure you don't even have your other shotgun in the truck for obvious complicated reasons. Have a great day huntin. I have to work
Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupped N Committed View Post
Yup you got it! As long as there's only one gun, make it a friendly competition. Pass the broomstick back and forth between flocks. I would think this is fine if he doesn't have his stamp. Because if he is shooting you are in direct supervision. And if you are shooting. You are licensed to do so. But make darn sure you don't even have your other shotgun in the truck for obvious complicated reasons. Have a great day huntin. I have to work
You can't do that.....the following is from the regs, note that the adult permit owner can not use a firearm.

WATERFOWLER HERITAGE DAYS

The first Saturday and Sunday in September are designated as Waterfowler Heritage Days in Alberta. Youth (age 12-17) may hunt waterfowl on these dates without a licence (provincial or federal) provided they are qualified to do so (see Licensing requirements for first-time hunters) and are accompanied by an adult migratory game bird hunting permit holder. The adult permit holder may not have in their possession or use a firearm, or accompany more than 2 minors at one time while mentoring youth. The youth can only hunt waterfowl species for which there will be an open season in that WMU. Regular bag limits and possession limits apply.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:31 PM

My son is not a first time hunter. Read pages 20 and 21. He had his win card last year. Heritage days are set up for hunters 12 to 17 that have not obtained a win card or taken the hunter Ed coarse.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
My son is not a first time hunter. Read pages 20 and 21. He had his win card last year. Heritage days are set up for hunters 12 to 17 that have not obtained a win card or taken the hunter Ed coarse.
for one day...let the kid do the shooting....sheesh!!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
He actually is classes as a youth hunter and I would have been breaking the law had he hunted today. We can both hunt tommorow as and adult and a youth hunter. Not an adult and a first time hunter. I had to read the regs closely to make sence of it but it does make sense.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
He actually is classes as a youth hunter and I would have been breaking the law had he hunted today. We can both hunt tommorow as and adult and a youth hunter. Not an adult and a first time hunter. I had to read the regs closely to make sence of it but it does make sense.
You are not reading them correctly. My son hunted today in his 3rd season and 2 nd WHD hunt. They don't HAVE to be licensed or experienced but can still hunt if they are. It is a great way to build a love for waterfowling over the years. Provided you don't have a SWAT team sent to your location . They really need to do some work on clarifying the language around these days.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 09-07-2013, 10:22 PM

I agree I have been going over these regs for some time now. There is a definate problem when the regs confuse a C O. I read the requirements of a first time hunter. And you may be correct about youth hunters. But there is a differance according to the regs regarding a youth first time hunter and a youth hunter. Maybe I need to call a lawyer prior to hunting. I didn't think this was so obscure or I would have called a Couple of COs.

Last edited by michaelmicallef; 09-07-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I agree I have been going over these regs for some time now. There is a definate problem when the regs confuse a C O. I read the requirements of a first time hunter. And you may be correct about youth hunters. But there is a differance according to the regs regarding a youth first time hunter and a youth hunter. Maybe I need to call a lawyer prior to hunting. I didn't think this was so obscure or I would have called a Couple of COs.
Don't call the COs. Call 3 of them and you'll get 3 different answers. Been there. Frankly, in this province if the animal does not have horns on its head the game wardens don't really have a clue. The first time hunter rules are different from the waterfowler Hertage days rules. Follow the latter.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 09-07-2013, 10:59 PM

Simple answer, yes he needs the federal stamp to go along with his youth wildlife cert/bird game licence. Go hunt and have fun. ignore the waterfowler heritage days.......... I take it this wont be the only time out this year. keep it simple

Quote:
I am trying to find out if my 13 yr old can legally hunt migratory game birds in Alberta and does he need a federal migratory bird license. He's got his win card and Alberta youth wildlife cert/game bird licence. He'll be hunting with me , his dad. I got all my stuff. Thanks for any info.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:01 PM

So you have to be 16 to hunt ducks and be accompanied by an adult until you are 18. Before you turn 16 you have two day duck season and the WHD BS is the law? Is this right. What a :@"/@: joke. No wonder people give up hunting. I will only bring one gun to be on the safe side. Then I will write the minister and tell her there needs to be clarification with rules regarding migratory game bird regs. What a gong show for regs.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:09 PM

??

you can hunt ducks at age 12 with taking the course, have WIN and proper licences. Must be accompanied by with parent or legal guardian otherwise someone over age 18 with written consent letter.

stop worrying about waterfowler days......., Both of you are licenced up, both of you can carry guns........go shoot some birds and have fun and be safe.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:24 PM

Sounds good to me. The more I read the regs the more confused I get. Someone has to be able to interpret the rules into laymens terms. Still going to write the minister and try and get a more undrrstandable explanation put into the regs .
Old 09-08-2013, 04:50 AM

One gun only. After reading some more one line info put out by the government I decided that basically every other province simply says in plan English. You can duck hunt until you are 16. Why can't this Provence put it that simple. He's got two days to hunt , I watch and then it's over for him until next yr.