Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-25-2008, 03:13 PM

Question hunting grouse

hello might be going grouse hunting with my dad and friends this saturday or sunday to 510 does anyone know any tips they could share with me on how to hunt sprouce and ruffies?

Thanks and bunch Mikey:
Old 09-25-2008, 03:27 PM

drive down a lease road early in the morning or at dusk, or go for a nice walk in the woods any time of day. When you see a grouse, shoot it in the head.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:29 PM

would you recommend a .22 or the scatter gun??
Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 PM

i would reccomned a .22 if you see them from afar (25-35yrds) but if you are within that and they fly i would say the .410 shotgun
Old 09-26-2008, 11:17 AM

I would recomemnd a scatter gun, A .410 works but shoots a small group and grouse are usually in dense woods where half of you pellets from the shot will get caught by sourounding trees, a 20 or 28 gaugeis better, however a 16 gauge is a good all around bird/buck shot gun, its recoil is mininum and it shoots a way larger group. 16g is what I use for grouse. Then there is the 12 gauge, they work great but can get kind of heavy carying one around all day. In my experience you won't see many grouse from afar and if you did shooting one in the head with a .22 would work, but you would have to be a hell of a good shot and, IMHO, shooting a sitting or grounded grouse takes the "game" part out of "game" bird hunting, shoot them of the fly! If you happen to see a grouse from afar walk up closer to it and flush it out at which time you shoot it with your chosen scatter gun. I use my .22cal for rabbit, squirll and vermin. This is just IMHO.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Gone Hunting

30-35 yrds is pushing it with a 410 and with a 20 45 yrds is as far as ill shoot a chicken. i use the .22 for the crafty ones in thick push were all you can see is the body.

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 09-26-2008, 01:13 PM

Default .22

I use a bow or .22 exclusively when shooting chickens. It is simple personal preference and to each their own. There is no right or wrong answer. Either the .22 or scatter gun will work. If you get busted by the chicken with a .22 follow it into the bush and look about eye level in the trees. When the take off they normally don't go that far but normally land in the trees where they can get a better look at what scared them. If they bust you again...give up the ghost and move on.

Shooting chickens with a .22 gives you lots of practice and trains you to be patient and wait for quality shots. But whatever you use...get out in the bush and enjoy!

Morb

Tags
hunting grouse