Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-14-2014, 12:41 PM

Default Bp question on load size for flint lock.

So after saving up i got my self a nice great plains left hand flint lock. along with all the goodies, bag, powder flask, range rod, ball starter etc. and i had ordered i bunch of pre set powder measures. and this is were my Problem starts ( other then my wedge pins didn't fit and i had to ""fix"" them ) i only got a measure for 100 grain of powder. ( out stock rest it seems) any ways i got a lb of ffg and fffg (ty pro line) now i can shoot ether ffg or fffg but as you know the load will be different. so i open up my booklets i got with it . HERE'S the Confusing part.
THE LYMAN book says
.54 cal .535 RB 120 grs ffg or 100grs fffg

THE investarm book says.
.54 cal .530 RB 100grs ffg or 80 grs fffg

so it seems two different measures what one should i use as i only have the 100 grain and there is a 20 grain difference between the two books. now im 100% sure im missing some thing silly here.
i was going to use the fffg to prime and the ffg down barrel but if i can just use the fffg for both then yay me and the lyman book says 100 grs is ok.

its a nice sunday and i sorta saved opening up box till to day and was hoping to make a little smoke but now i'm unsure. so any help be great.

just want to know what one is safe to use the 100grs with as it my only measure sadly.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:08 PM

FFG is coarser so slower burning than FFFG hence the 2 0 grains difference
I use FFG in my guns .50 and smaller and FFG in the larger rifles .
My son burns 120 grains o his .54 plains rifle
Cat
Old 09-14-2014, 01:15 PM

You need an adjustable measure to eliminate the problems. Investarm makes the Lyman guns, but they are more conservative in their charges. I shoot 90 gr of 3F in my 54 with conicals and RB. General rule of Thumb is reduce 10% going from 2F to 3F. to be safe.

Your 54 will handle 100 of either without problems with RB's. 4F will be a better primer powder, but 3F or 2F will certainly work.
Pick out the flash hole between shots, and damp swab the bore between shots to minimize the chance of a stuck ball from fouling.
If a ball starts down it has to go all the way before you fire or you have a barrel obstruction and a blown up gun!!!!!BEAT IT DOWN by what ever way you can or pull it{much harder} if you get one part way and it won't go .
If {when} you forget powder , and dry ball it, pull the vent out, and work some powder into the chamber behind the ball. Shoot it out this way. Much easier than pulling a dry ball. If you don't get enough in it may not shoot it all the way out, so ram it back down to the bottom and try again. It will shoot it out and often with a lot of force, so shoot it like it is a full charge to be safe.

You may like a lighter charge when you get your new measures.Many shoot 70 to 80 grains. The gun will tell you what it shoots best. More is not always better.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:30 PM

ty petew. will try the fffg . new toy and all just want make a bang once or twice then i will wait till end month and get a adjustable measure.
and the kids are dieing to see it work. wife not so much so.
and ty for advice on geting a ball out. hope it wont happen but most likely will one day.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:34 PM

Somewhere I have a chart for making a powder measure. It lists the drill sizes and depth you need . PM me your email and I will find it and send it to you. You can make a measure from a piece of wood, horn tip etc.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:07 PM

Investarms and Lyman are both made by Italian companies probably the same company to the same specs - either load would kill deer at 100m
Old 09-14-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. View Post
Investarms and Lyman are both made by Italian companies probably the same company to the same specs - either load would kill deer at 100m
Investarm is the Italian manufacturer of Lyman sidelocks. The same models are available with the Investarm brand on them.