Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 PM

Default New Ruger PC Carbine 9mm (revised PC9)

Anyone else interested in this ? The old version wasn't a terrible rifle, but had poor sales due to lack of interest.
This new version even has a mag-well adapter to accept Glock mags, and is a take-down (obviously).
The Youtube reviews, by somewhat respected authors/vloggers, seem to be pretty positive.
Extended range/plinking sessions would be more expensive than 22LR, but wouldn't it make a more "rounded" hunting rifle ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbmb4AIl2sM (Jeff Quinn @ GunBlastDotCom)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gooz-sXA6fw (Dave Nash @ 22plinkster)

https://www.ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

Old 01-12-2018, 12:07 PM

If they made a nonrestricted version for up here it would be a fun plinker - not all that useful, but fun.

After a little research, I think I prefer the original version. The only advantage this one has in my mind is the glock mags.

Last edited by double gun; 01-12-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:31 PM

Its pretty cool, but what I am really excited for is the Ruger Precision Rimfire!!!

Going to look deadly next to my RPR!

https://ruger.com/products/precisionRimfire/models.html
Old 01-12-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
If they made a nonrestricted version for up here it would be a fun plinker - not all that useful, but fun.

After a little research, I think I prefer the original version. The only advantage this one has in my mind is the glock mags.
I didn't even notice that the barrel is only 16.25". Hopefully they come out with an 18.5" version...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
Its pretty cool, but what I am really excited for is the Ruger Precision Rimfire!!!

That does look interesting !

Old 01-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post

From the link:
"Anodized Picatinny scope base includes 30 MOA elevation for increased long-range capabilities out of the box."

What do they consider maximum range for a 22lr?
Old 01-13-2018, 10:04 PM

A non-restricted one in 10mm would be my request.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
From the link:
"Anodized Picatinny scope base includes 30 MOA elevation for increased long-range capabilities out of the box."

What do they consider maximum range for a 22lr?
The video says that the 30moa rail will let most scopes shoot out to 300yds. But, what he doesn't say is that a lot of scopes will not have enough adjustment to allow you to also shoot at 50yds.

I would want my gun have the ability to acquire targets at both short and long range.
Picking the correct rail/scope combo is important if you want to cover all your bases.

As for shooting a 22 at 300yds, wind drift would be a huge factor. A wind change from 6mph to 8 mph will change the drift of your typical 22 target ammo by about 7 inches.

In summer, we shoot our 22's out to 200m. A 20moa base lets my scope easily adjust to both 50m and 200m. Wind is still the limiting factor. Small gusts of 2mph will throw your shot off by a few inches. I have way more fun and success if I get to the range early in the morning while the wind is calm. Hopefully, my wind reading skills improve.

Fair amount of info on this type of shooting on rimfire central.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
The video says that the 30moa rail will let most scopes shoot out to 300yds. But, what he doesn't say is that a lot of scopes will not have enough adjustment to allow you to also shoot at 50yds.

I would want my gun have the ability to acquire targets at both short and long range.
Picking the correct rail/scope combo is important if you want to cover all your bases.

As for shooting a 22 at 300yds, wind drift would be a huge factor. A wind change from 6mph to 8 mph will change the drift of your typical 22 target ammo by about 7 inches.

In summer, we shoot our 22's out to 200m. A 20moa base lets my scope easily adjust to both 50m and 200m. Wind is still the limiting factor. Small gusts of 2mph will throw your shot off by a few inches. I have way more fun and success if I get to the range early in the morning while the wind is calm. Hopefully, my wind reading skills improve.

Fair amount of info on this type of shooting on rimfire central.
Interesting. What kind of groups do you see at 200m?
Old 01-15-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Interesting. What kind of groups do you see at 200m?
Not to derail the PC9 discussion any further (would love to see a non-TD, wood-stock, NR version btw! ) but I'm actually a little more interested in the Ruger Precision rimfire. I've seen some pre-order talk on them (retail about $585 Canadian) but one think I'm interested in knowing is whether or not that 30MOA rail can be swapped for a 0MOA/10MOA etc. Is the rail a Ruger part at all...or made by somebody like EGW, etc.

The gun also looks bette with the 15/25 round mags but having things a**-BACKWARDS like we do in Canada, we can't use 10/22 mags with a greater capacity than 10. Wondering if a BX-15 could be pinned, or modified (follower?) to limit it to 10?
Old 01-15-2018, 10:24 AM

If the PC had been available a couple of years ago ... would not have enticed me above the NR AutoOrdinance M1 30 Carbine which is more than a pound lighter.