Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2024, 09:42 PM

Default Car Dealership Rant and Help

Just wondering if you guys have experience with something like this.

This afternoon we ended up buying a used SUV from a dealer in Edmonton that we had our eye on. Took it out for a test drive and it was all good. Then we proceeded with the negotiation.

The advertised price was $49,487 plus tax. We’re SK residents so we have to pay 6% PST when we register it. I wanted an all in cash purchase price and the salesman said he’d have to check with finance on the PST % and he’d come back with an all in price included both taxes. He came back with $54,930 (advertised price plus 11% tax). We said that was too much. Away he goes and comes back around $52k. We didn’t want to spend that, so he said if he could get it down to $51k would we put down a deposit on our CC and buy the car?We agreed and he came back at $51,226 and we said that was fine. Put down $5k on our Visa and agreed we will come back next week with a bank draft (we weren’t prepared to actually buy it today). We met with the financial guy, signed all the paperwork.

When we left, the wife was going over the paperwork (I know, we should’ve done that in the office) and it only shows they paid the GST and not the PST. Message the salesman and he agreed that it was supposed to be all in. He calls a little later and said they can’t collect the PST so they’d have to do a cash back but he’d have to confirm with the finance guy. I told him I’d email the finance guy and confirm the new amount we’d have to bring in. Finance guy said no that was the price he was given so we need to go back to the salesman. Now the salesman (I’m assuming he got in crap from somebody above him) is saying that no, they could never collect the PST so the all in price only ever included GST.

Now I know he’s full of it because when he came back with his best offer of $52k that is actually more than if we just paid the advertised price plus GST. And if we would’ve agreed to the 1st offer we would have paid 6% over asking price. I’m pretty ticked and I told him if we cancel the deal (since it had literally been an hour) do we get our $5K back and he said no that is non-refundable. I would’ve never put down a deposit if I knew that wasn’t the true all in price. So now I need to fork out another $3k when I register it.

So very long story, short is there anything we can do? It’s not really the money as it’s still a good deal (best price I’ve seen for the make and model) but it’s the principle. And I’m ticked that we spent an hour going back and forth on price and at the end of the day they dropped the advertised price $669. He said he can’t adjust the price but will throw in a bunch of stuff. The last 4 vehicles we purchased we did over email/text. Agreed to a price. I brought a bank draft and drove away. This feels like a bait and switch and super greasy.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:57 PM

In our case, the truck needed a little work that was undisclosed until after I called to arrange picking it up.

I absolutely demanded my deposit back, and received it in full. I am very sure your deposit is yours, especially as their fine print has miscalculations.

Pressure them, it's your money, and the 'good deal' is a lemon

Best of luck!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-08-2024, 10:01 PM

There's some pretty good members on here that offer fairly reliable legal advice, so I would wait for them to chime in.
But from my own experience, I know for a fact that there is a 48-hour "Cooling off" period on all contracts signed in Alberta. Regardless of a deposit being made.

I would call them in the morning, state that fact, and tell them clearly that you are canceling the contract and you will be paying no stupid fees that they congur up. I would also tell them that you will be in later to get your deposit put back on your card if they can't do it without your card present.
My bet is they will knock the 6% off to keep the deal.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:12 PM

I was in a similar spot, I was very stern and actually relayed to visa. Visa actually reversed the charge for me, dealer threatened legal action. A good friend, not a lawyer but well versed in contract law made a quick phone call the dealer manager. They spent the next week calling me and the vehicle price dropped another 9k. To me just showed how much they were trying to screw me from the beginning. Lesson learned.

I'm almost certain you can get that deposit back.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:25 PM

Go Auto dealership?
Old 03-08-2024, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Go Auto dealership?
Haha yup
Old 03-08-2024, 11:02 PM

Bought my last new vehicle from a dealership December 8 1976. Apparently nothing has changed.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
There's some pretty good members on here that offer fairly reliable legal advice, so I would wait for them to chime in.
But from my own experience, I know for a fact that there is a 48-hour "Cooling off" period on all contracts signed in Alberta. Regardless of a deposit being made.

I would call them in the morning, state that fact, and tell them clearly that you are canceling the contract and you will be paying no stupid fees that they congur up. I would also tell them that you will be in later to get your deposit put back on your card if they can't do it without your card present.
My bet is they will knock the 6% off to keep the deal.
This^
Old 03-08-2024, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Haha yup
We have been car shopping and the first question I ask any dealer is . Are you part of Go auto or other buyers group? And if they are I won’t deal with them.

Slimey as they come.

Another thing that is a warning sign to me is if they are constantly running off to the manager for every little thing. Then I know we are likely not going to be there very long.

A couple years ago I went to war with the Gm dealership that tried very hard to screw my son over, on a deal.
Threatened them with legal action and even got another dealership involved who had some connections with Amvic and the GM rep for Alberta.Amvic threatened their licence but it was the GM rep that finally made them back down. It was ugly but we prevailed.

Last edited by jungleboy; 03-08-2024 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 05:59 AM

Yup Go Auto group takes slimmy to a whole different level, won't set foot on one of their lots even if they had exactly what I was looking for, had a bit of a rodeo with one in Edmonton about 12 years ago dealing on a Van for the wife, wasted an hr of my time but refused to give the salesman a deposit so he could take my offer to the manager to show him I was serious, finally told him to stick it

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:13 AM

I don't hand over a deposit, until I see the final details on the offer sheet, and both the dealership and I have signed it. Once I have a copy in my hand, the dealership gets their deposit/down payment.
I liked dealing with my local dealership on my current vehicle, no additional charges that weren't agreed upon, unlike larger dealerships in the past, that tried to slip in extra costs, after we came to a verbal agreement.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:36 AM

i had the unfortunate luck of working in a go store in service , sales is kinda scared of 2 things , amvic and google reviews , and they will refund the money with a conversation with either. slimiest of all the dealers by far.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:12 AM

Have relatives that own a car dealership.

Nothing surprises me….
Old 03-09-2024, 07:14 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I don’t know if the salesman is greasy, if it’s his bosses or the whole place is garbage. I took a quick look on Autotrader and did a national search. There are zero vehicles that are the same trim level, mileage and price. So we did get a good deal even with the missed PST. It’s just the fact that it wasn’t what we agreed on that chaps me and I hate to lose. I’m more annoyed we only got them to drop the vehicle $700. If you’re going to screw me at least buy me dinner first. And the other problem is my wife loves the car. We haven’t owned anything this new or this fancy.

So probably, at the end of the day, we’ll take the SUV. Chalk it up to a $3k lesson learned and never work with another Go Auto stealership ever again.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:28 AM

Tell the dealer you will call AMVIC if he does not give it to you right away .
I did that as soon as he said your not getting it back . I had the refund back in 2 mins .
Old 03-09-2024, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I don't hand over a deposit, until I see the final details on the offer sheet, and both the dealership and I have signed it. Once I have a copy in my hand, the dealership gets their deposit/down payment.
I liked dealing with my local dealership on my current vehicle, no additional charges that weren't agreed upon, unlike larger dealerships in the past, that tried to slip in extra costs, after we came to a verbal agreement.
I wont give deposit either no matter how much pressure and reasons they give me.
They will pressure like crazy for that deposit. Then change terms.

Esher was also right. Same way in 76.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Tell the dealer you will call AMVIC if he does not give it to you right away .
I did that as soon as he said your not getting it back . I had the refund back in 2 mins .
x2 Call AMVIC
Old 03-09-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
I took a quick look on Autotrader and did a national search. There are zero vehicles that are the same trim level, mileage and price. So we did get a good deal
And the other problem is my wife loves the car. We haven’t owned anything this new or this fancy.

So probably, at the end of the day, we’ll take the SUV.

Soooo......you got a vehicle you really like, and admittedly a good deal, but you feel the need to go on line and complain about it......what if something bad should ever happen in your life.......sheeesh......
Old 03-09-2024, 07:50 AM

Default Deposit

Once a big dealership would not refund my deposit on a conditional sale.
AMVIC was no help.
I filed a claim in Small Claims Court, served the dealership, and they refunded my deposit.
You can represent yourself in small claims court but according to the law the company has to hire a lawyer to represent them. This will cost them a good deal of money. As well auto dealerships do not do well in court and they know this.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Go Auto dealership?
Your first mistake.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-09-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Soooo......you got a vehicle you really like, and admittedly a good deal, but you feel the need to go on line and complain about it......what if something bad should ever happen in your life.......sheeesh......
Think about it. You come to an agreement on price and when you take delivery you discover that you will end up paying several thousand more than the agreed upon price.
It’s slimey business practice, you know it is , they know it is but they have your money and the advantage because most people are like you and just shrug and take it .
Old 03-09-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Think about it. You come to an agreement on price and when you take delivery you discover that you will end up paying several thousand more than the agreed upon price.
It’s slimey business practice, you know it is , they know it is but they have your money and the advantage because most people are like you and just shrug and take it .
Exactly, it's not how good the deal was, it's that the dealership agreed to a deal, then changed the terms. When it comes right down to it, it is fraud.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
What car dealership are you a salesman at?

It’s not the fact that it’s a good deal. It’s the fact they told me the final price was this. Pay a deposit. Sign the paperwork and realize they lied to you and now I owe an additional $3k after we agreed on a price. Then when you bring it up they say too bad and by the way we’re keeping the $5k deposit that you paid. The deposit I paid after we agreed on an all in price.

I can be happy about the price but still be angry about how I was treated.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:31 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, but in all honesty you are at fault as much as the dealership. It always amazes me how many trust others and don't actually read a contract... I am fairly certain that all you needed to do was look at the final numbers and see the tax or lack of it in the sale price.

You got all wrapped up in the vehicle that the most important part was overlooked. Hope you enjoy the wheels and it treats you well.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:38 AM

My long odds bet is you have not had this vehicle inspected by an independent mechanic, so you are willing to take these shysters word for the condition of the vehicle. If you complete this deal with a company that is clearly a bunch of lying, thieving skells, because it is after all a good deal and your wife loves the car, then I have zero sympathy for you. You are rewarding them for sleazy and illegal business practices and are knowingly joining the ranks of the fleeced.

There is nothing I have ever wanted bad enough to deal with thieves to get it. You deserve whatever the end result is if you go ahead with this deal.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but in all honesty you are at fault as much as the dealership. It always amazes me how many trust others and don't actually read a contract... I am fairly certain that all you needed to do was look at the final numbers and see the tax or lack of it in the sale price.

You got all wrapped up in the vehicle that the most important part was overlooked. Hope you enjoy the wheels and it treats you well.
Oh I take full responsibility for not going over the final contract to see if there was a line that showed PST. When we agreed on the final price of $51,226 that was supposed to be all inclusive. Both taxes and no fees. He even left to go and get the SK PST rate before coming back with an offer. Like I mentioned before the first offer was the advertised price plus 11%. If I would have said yes to that price I would’ve paid more for the vehicle than what they were advertising it for and I’d still be on the hook for PST.

Definitely a life lesson and it won’t ever happen again. Just left a sour taste in my mouth and confirmed how shady car dealerships are.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
I was in a similar spot, I was very stern and actually relayed to visa. Visa actually reversed the charge for me, dealer threatened legal action. A good friend, not a lawyer but well versed in contract law made a quick phone call the dealer manager. They spent the next week calling me and the vehicle price dropped another 9k. To me just showed how much they were trying to screw me from the beginning. Lesson learned.

I'm almost certain you can get that deposit back.
+1
Call your credit card company!
Old 03-09-2024, 09:09 AM

Default No Cooling Off Period In Alberta

There is No “cooling off” period in Alberta
July 25, 2023 By AMVIC Communications | Consumer bulletins

When buying a vehicle, it is easy to get caught up in the excitement and anticipation of such an important purchase. Some consumers may not realize there is no “cooling off” period when you buy a vehicle, even if you have buyer’s remorse.

Understanding the contract, financing, warranties and any other details involved in the purchase before signing anything are important steps to having a positive purchase experience.

Here are some helpful tips:

Read and understand the contract. Documents such as worksheets, in-house deposit agreements, deposit receipts and other documents are not a bill of sale.
Get a bill of sale and review it to be sure all information is accurate and complete. Use a vehicle purchase guide to ensure the bill of sale contains all the relevant information.
Once you sign the contract, the vehicle is yours and you have contractually agreed to buy the vehicle. It is important that you stop shopping after you sign a purchase contract.
The only way you can cancel the contract is if the seller has a policy that says you may.
Verify the details of the finance agreement and be sure all reported income and down payment amounts are correct.
Get all promises, as well as clarification on terms, conditions and price that are not clear to you in writing. Use a fully completed bill of sale, not just a deposit agreement, which includes all of the mandatory information to best protect yourself from price increases.
Make sure that any warranty is in writing and read it carefully. Make sure that you understand the terms and conditions of the warranties and get, in writing, any details of what is covered and for how long, what’s not covered, and what your responsibilities are.
AMVIC provides helpful consumer resources on amvic.org in the form of downloadable and printable guides on multiple topics, including budgeting for a vehicle, buying a new or used vehicle and shopping online.om Amvic's Web Site:
Old 03-09-2024, 09:39 AM

i never give a deposit , its a trick to keep you there , man i hate dealerships , working in one for 27 years in service i've been called bro and slicked so many times by the pointy shoed trash i feel like i could never wash it off. also , in the finance office they push after market warranties down your throat , also a scam , its a war to get them to pay for anything , protection packages that can be done for a 1/4 of the price at a detail shop , and often the dealer does a half assed job of anyway.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:34 AM

Default Horror Stories

These horror stories are so common it makes me cringe.

Recently I was buying a new vehicle (insurance replacement from a theft) and saw a broad spectrum of antics. Went to one Toyota dealer in south Calgary, the had no stock (nobody did) but said they could order one, no clue on delivery timeline, could not give pricing, refused to show me the contract T&Cs until I gave a deposit...the list goes on. Sales guy punctuates the chat by asking what he can do to earn my business...I told him he should find a different career.

Final dealer was in Cochrane, they also had no stock but said they could order one, gave a timeline of 4-5 months with no guarantee. No deposit required, gave me a copy of their T&Cs for me to read and modify if needed, they gave me current pricing and never tried to upsell anything. Called me back 2 months in, told me they had a cancelled order for a 23 and asked if I wanted that as it was arriving that week, I passed. Got a call in month 3 that the VIN had been assigned and they gave a 7 day window for delivery, called back 2 weeks later with a 3 day window. Went to pick the vehicle up, it was exactly what I ordered, price was as agreed (they threw in bug deflector and YETI mug). Absolutely no pressure, very transparent pricing, always respectful

The salesguy mentioned that he sells between 25-30 vehicles a month and refuses any pressure/hardsell tactics. Good dealers do exist, you just have to filter thru a ton of crappy ones. Never be afraid to walk away, pressure makes folks act funny.