Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Location plays a big role on affordability and CNP is less affected by this same as Drayton Valley where I am. But now look at where majority of the population in Canada or Alberta live and that would be the cities where cost is much higher do to demand

Hence why I have posted multiple time on this thread that the only solution is to spread the demand by improving infrastructure and employment opportunities in smaller communities to spread the pressure. This is something Canada as a whole fails at. We have lots of land but we lack infrastructure

But still when you start comparing even our smaller communities costs in Canada are still high compared to many countries
CNP is getting expensive for real estate in the last few years. Quite a bit more money to build here compared to Calgary and area. I have two kids in South Calgary area and they are doing fine there.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
CNP is getting expensive for real estate in the last few years. Quite a bit more money to build here compared to Calgary and area. I have two kids in South Calgary area and they are doing fine there.
Still place for 200k in CNP I looked before the post you quoted. I have friends and family in Calgary too that get by too.

Still doesn’t change that housing is becoming less affordable and costing a higher % of one’s income making it more difficult to own a home
Old 03-11-2024, 10:52 AM

People bought into the fear of missing out & cheap debt and believed in the lie fed to them that it was sustainable. Combine it with absurd cost of living increases and hyper-spending/taxing lieberals and it’s certainly a recipe for disaster. Trudud’s tax goes up April 1. The people that voted for this garbage are to blame but there’s also an element of self spending control/delayed gratification that some were never taught.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM

Part of the issue is a lot of renters don't realize they have severely limited their options of rentals.
If you have pets or a pet, well as a land lord you don't want to rent to pet owners if you have a choice not too.
I sure would not, are there good pet owners? Yes but the amount of bad ones out weigh the good ones by alot, especially in the rental market.

Oh you have a dog, a cat, 3 kids and you are looking to rent in Calgary?
Well good luck, the amount of rentals available for that is extremely limited.
Also, the rental legislation, is absolutely terrible for landlords, very hard to kick out bad tennets.
Just own a couple rentals for a year and come back and comment how great it is to be a landlord!!
Also, you are trying to rent in a market that for at least 10 years has been terrible to rent in, that is a known fact. Air b&b also has taken a pile of rentals out of the market. And for good reason, land lords have a pile less issues with air b&b than they do on normal rentals, and their profits have gone up. So why would any sain person rent a house, when they can air b&b it for more money and less issues.
It is hard in almost any city in this country to afford to buy a home, Calgary, Vancouver, and Toronto, being some of the worst.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Location plays a big role on affordability and CNP is less affected by this same as Drayton Valley where I am. But now look at where majority of the population in Canada or Alberta live and that would be the cities where cost is much higher do to demand

Hence why I have posted multiple time on this thread that the only solution is to spread the demand by improving infrastructure and employment opportunities in smaller communities to spread the pressure.

This is something Canada as a whole fails at. We have lots of land but we lack infrastructure

But still when you start comparing even our smaller communities costs in Canada are still high compared to many countries

No No NO.... this is NOT the only solution.

You speak like the Liberals that are letting in somewhere around 2 MILLION people a year into Canada....
1.3 million Immigrants PLUS Foreign students AND Temporary workers...
I say "Somewhere" because even the government can't/won't get their numbers in order.

There is NO need to grow like this.
Absolutely none.
It is a Choice, not a need.

Small towns should be able to stay small town if they desire, not forced into unsustainable growth.

We don't have the infrastructure, the water, the Power grid or
most importantly,
the Social license to change Canadian Cities and Small Towns into whatever manifests from unmanaged Immigration.

These massive levels of Immigration is changing the Social Web of Canada, with absolutely no concept of what those changes may be.
I can say with certainty that in my community, with an incredible influx of migrants, has resulted in a very polarized, segregated community with great anxiety. No one is happy or connected, just anxious and angry.

Lets all remember. 98% of the new infrastructure/housing is for brand new Immigrants.

Another solution to the problem is to dramatically decrease Immigration.
Cut it by 90%.

A 90% cut would still mean Canada's population growth would still be 5:1 Immigration over Citizen births.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-11-2024, 11:23 AM

Looks like Feds are planning more intervention next week in the budget on April 16. All in Affordability. Realtors want a seat at the table (lol, fox guarding the hen-house). Crazy stuff.
Here a primer from Garth Turner (former MP for Steve Harper).
https://www.greaterfool.ca/2024/03/11/the-big-day/
Old 03-11-2024, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
No No NO.... this is NOT the only solution.

You speak like the Liberals that are letting in somewhere around 2 MILLION people a year into Canada....
1.3 million Immigrants PLUS Foreign students AND Temporary workers...
I say "Somewhere" because even the government can't/won't get their numbers in order.

There is NO need to grow like this.
Absolutely none.
It is a Choice, not a need.

Small towns should be able to stay small town if they desire, not forced into unsustainable growth.

We don't have the infrastructure, the water, the Power grid or
most importantly,
the Social license to change Canadian Cities and Small Towns into whatever manifests from unmanaged Immigration.

These massive levels of Immigration is changing the Social Web of Canada, with absolutely no concept of what those changes may be.
I can say with certainty that in my community, with an incredible influx of migrants, has resulted in a very polarized, segregated community with great anxiety. No one is happy or connected, just anxious and angry.

Lets all remember. 98% of the new infrastructure/housing is for brand new Immigrants.

Another solution to the problem is to dramatically decrease Immigration.
Cut it by 90%.

A 90% cut would still mean Canada's population growth would still be 5:1 Immigration over Citizen births.
First don’t ever compare me to a liberal again

I should clarify that what I propose is the only solution under the present way our population is growing and in all honesty it’s a wiser method of growth vs flooding the population into select locations

I don’t support our rate of immigration and believe we need to be more selective on the candidates we take as immigrants. Nothing wrong with bringing in people that can improve our country and are here to be part of our society. Immigration just for the purposes of increasing the population is definitely negative to our country
Old 03-11-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Looks like Feds are planning more intervention next week in the budget on April 16. All in Affordability. Realtors want a seat at the table (lol, fox guarding the hen-house). Crazy stuff.
Here a primer from Garth Turner (former MP for Steve Harper).
https://www.greaterfool.ca/2024/03/11/the-big-day/
I’m sure it’ll go well for them…

How about they axe trudud’s carbon tax 1st.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:55 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
And it still doesn’t change factual math that it takes a larger % of a household income to buy a home or the fact that both taxation and living expenses are also eating up a larger % of their income

Yes you can adjust spending but this also means for some owning a house is no longer an option or owning a home in their location at least. You can only stretch a $ so far.

No one says it’s impossible or that no one can succeed. What is being stated is fact that housing is eating up a larger percentage of household income making it much harder for this generation to by a home

I fully understand budgeting and hustle I have owned(completely paid for not just paying a mortgage) 4 houses in the last 20 years with no help starting from homeless. Longest I had a mortgage was 5 years and that was only because I didn’t want to pay the penalty for paying it of early.

This was because I know how to budgets work and how to sacrifice but this means I also analyze numbers. I also try to be very realistic

I think you summed it up that more or less where there is a will there is a way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-11-2024, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I think you summed it up that more or less where there is a will there is a way.

Um not exactly lol

Yes will and sacrifice can make a difference but there is only so much that can do for you. That isn’t going to work all the time and it’s got limits. If things continue in the present direction it’s going to become less effective.

I think it’s time to just be done with this thread anyway
Old 03-11-2024, 05:27 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well as with everything in life you gotta ride the lows, adapt, adjust taking full advantage of the highs when they come so you are ready to ride out the lows.
Oh well we sure ain’t gonna fix it here on an outdoors forum

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-12-2024, 09:39 PM

Mass immigration is the reason and the only reason young people can’t get jobs that pay enough to afford a house. Stop voting for mass immigration. Boomers didn’t have to compete with 2 million pajeets a year, or be excluded from a big chunk of jobs for being the wrong skin colour.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
Mass immigration is the reason and the only reason young people can’t get jobs that pay enough to afford a house. Stop voting for mass immigration. Boomers didn’t have to compete with 2 million pajeets a year, or be excluded from a big chunk of jobs for being the wrong skin colour.
This and only this!
Old 03-12-2024, 11:30 PM

Quote:
First don’t ever compare me to a liberal again

I should clarify that what I propose is the only solution under the present way our population is growing and in all honesty it’s a wiser method of growth vs flooding the population into select locations

I don’t support our rate of immigration and believe we need to be more selective on the candidates we take as immigrants. Nothing wrong with bringing in people that can improve our country and are here to be part of our society. Immigration just for the purposes of increasing the population is definitely negative to our country
I do agree on exactly what your saying ,to many entering to fast in order for society to adjust .The negative impact of this mass immigration increase is tearing this country to shreds . You just add millions and hope a new generation here can keep up with the mass increase in the cost of living .

I do read all your hunting stuff along with stuff like this and you love the outdoors ,but you love your country even more .This tells me your a man of great integrity who I would totally like to shake hands with.

I type with one eye closed due to eye sight damage and my grammar isn't very good due my accident ,so I to like to debate ,but guys like you do help me by not saying stuff that may not come out right that are in my wheel house of values .

But I do love my country and what has went on in the last 6 years or so is totally wrong and a total crime for those who worked so hard to see a good future for there kids .My daughter has 7 years university and makes damn good cash ,but her husband broke his neck no insurance and now she supports 4 people .10 13 and 16 plus there father.

8 years ago she could pull it off easily ,but now it's darn hard . only so many ways you can stretch a buck .

Keep posting because you are right on what your saying .You sir are one of the good guys .

Cheers
JD

Last edited by JD848; 03-12-2024 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Well as with everything in life you gotta ride the lows, adapt, adjust taking full advantage of the highs when they come so you are ready to ride out the lows.

May just reach out to only a few dozen ,but those few dozen reach out to others and soon many are understanding what's going down .the country for one.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:21 AM

Quote:

If people think before they act, we can at least reduce those lows, and sometimes even prevent some of them. It's better to be proactive, than reactive.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I do agree on exactly what your saying ,to many entering to fast in order for society to adjust .The negative impact of this mass immigration increase is tearing this country to shreds . You just add millions and hope a new generation here can keep up with the mass increase in the cost of living .

I do read all your hunting stuff along with stuff like this and you love the outdoors ,but you love your country even more .This tells me your a man of great integrity who I would totally like to shake hands with.

I type with one eye closed due to eye sight damage and my grammar isn't very good due my accident ,so I to like to debate ,but guys like you do help me by not saying stuff that may not come out right that are in my wheel house of values .

But I do love my country and what has went on in the last 6 years or so is totally wrong and a total crime for those who worked so hard to see a good future for there kids .My daughter has 7 years university and makes damn good cash ,but her husband broke his neck no insurance and now she supports 4 people .10 13 and 16 plus there father.

8 years ago she could pull it off easily ,but now it's darn hard . only so many ways you can stretch a buck .

Keep posting because you are right on what your saying .You sir are one of the good guys .

Cheers
JD
I am just being myself calling things how I see it nothing more. You are correct I love the outdoors it’s how I keep my sanity lol. As for Canada the land itself is awesome but sadly the management/direction we are on is not.

Sounds like things have been rough for you and your family. Hopefully it turns around for the better. It’s not easy for anyone right now and definitely tougher for some

Thanks for the kind words
Old 03-13-2024, 09:33 PM

Used to call them "Boomerang kids", in the 90s.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Used to call them "Boomerang kids", in the 90s.
Born in 1958 first time hearing this phrase.
Old 03-14-2024, 07:41 AM

Google it
Old 03-14-2024, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esher View Post
Born in 1958 first time hearing this phrase.
It’s been around a long long time
Old 03-14-2024, 12:28 PM

RCMP seeing what’s coming down the line. Police Worry Canada May Be Destabilized If Young People Realize They Won’t Own A Home
https://betterdwelling.com/canadians...n-a-home-rcmp/
Old 03-14-2024, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
RCMP seeing what’s coming down the line. Police Worry Canada May Be Destabilized If Young People Realize They Won’t Own A Home
https://betterdwelling.com/canadians...n-a-home-rcmp/
Was a time when mounties were looking for reds to get rid of them. Now they are aligned with woke or what used to be red communist. Now people think red is red state republican.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:19 PM

Just found out about a new tax law about Trusts, apparently if you co-sign a mortgage for your kid you have to form whats called a Bare Trust which will cost about $600.00 to set up and the deadline is March 31 with some serious penalties.
So lets penalize people that can help young people get into a house.
The turd and his munchkin finance farce really need a ride to the train station sooner than later.
Just when the finish line (election) is in sight the azzhats never cease to amaze me.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Just found out about a new tax law about Trusts, apparently if you co-sign a mortgage for your kid you have to form whats called a Bare Trust which will cost about $600.00 to set up and the deadline is March 31 with some serious penalties.
So lets penalize people that can help young people get into a house.
The turd and his munchkin finance farce really need a ride to the train station sooner than later.
Just when the finish line (election) is in sight the azzhats never cease to amaze me.
I am really starting to think he is screwing with Canadians intentionally. Even a toddler that has been dropped on its head daily is smart enough to see what he is doing will have a negative impact
Old 03-14-2024, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I am really starting to think he is screwing with Canadians intentionally. Even a toddler that has been dropped on its head daily is smart enough to see what he is doing will have a negative impact
I swear I am not picking on you intentionally or personally.
I think it's just the way you talk, like a true Canadian gentleman.

I tend to be just a bit more blunt....

Of course it is intentional.
It has been from the very start.
He spoke his ideology and desires, dislike for the current Canada when he was first running for MP and PM.

The Liberal party doing exactly what they desired and promised.

To Anybody that thinks the Liberals are just dumb, Please smarten up.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."