Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2024, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris84 View Post
Nice!! What Ultra's did you usually run? I have been trying to do two Ultra's per year and then a couple other trail runs in the 20-40k range.
Typically would start with the frozen ass 50 in Calgary, then blackfoot, Sinister (part of a team), Death Race and Iron legs. Would switch it up from year to year a bit to keep things interesting / local with the Rivers Edge, River Valley revenge and the Grizzly.

It is amazing how many 50km - 100 mile races there are in western canada. So many new ones that I am looking at now.

Definitely consuming and a great way to get into / stay in Elk / Sheep shape.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:23 PM

Redrider,

Rockwall is a bucket list one for me. Buddy and I want to run it, thought about doing this September. How many times have you done Rockwall?

Chris
Old 03-14-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Bryan View Post
Typically would start with the frozen ass 50 in Calgary, then blackfoot, Sinister (part of a team), Death Race and Iron legs. Would switch it up from year to year a bit to keep things interesting / local with the Rivers Edge, River Valley revenge and the Grizzly.

It is amazing how many 50km - 100 mile races there are in western canada. So many new ones that I am looking at now.

Definitely consuming and a great way to get into / stay in Elk / Sheep shape.
I've done relays in both Sin 7 and Death Race. I've done Rivers Edge a couple times and River Valley Revenge once. All great fun!!

I haven't done Blackfoot or Iron Legs. Thought about Iron Legs though. How did you enjoy that one? Have you done Klondike Ultra?

Chris
Old 03-14-2024, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Redrider,

Rockwall is a bucket list one for me. Buddy and I want to run it, thought about doing this September. How many times have you done Rockwall?

Chris
Once, it’s a big day, but doable. September weather can be unpredictable.
We did it July, there was still some snow at the higher elevations.
Old 03-14-2024, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I've done relays in both Sin 7 and Death Race. I've done Rivers Edge a couple times and River Valley Revenge once. All great fun!!

I haven't done Blackfoot or Iron Legs. Thought about Iron Legs though. How did you enjoy that one? Have you done Klondike Ultra?

Chris
Iron legs was pretty fun was definitely a grind though. Great scenery in that part of the world. I believe the route has changed a bit since I did it and for this year they've added a 100km option. I ran the 50miler.

I'd never heard of the Klondike ultra until now - looks pretty sweet - plus we do most of our hunting up that way so perhaps a good way to check out some new areas. Will have to look into it for 2025!! Thanks.

Cheers,
Bryan.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Bryan View Post
Iron legs was pretty fun was definitely a grind though. Great scenery in that part of the world. I believe the route has changed a bit since I did it and for this year they've added a 100km option. I ran the 50miler.

I'd never heard of the Klondike ultra until now - looks pretty sweet - plus we do most of our hunting up that way so perhaps a good way to check out some new areas. Will have to look into it for 2025!! Thanks.

Cheers,
Bryan.
I'm thinking of doing that one next year too. This year on the same weekend, buddy and I are doing our own long distance trail adventure. It started with a race that was canceled, we went and ran anyways and had a blast. It's now an annual thing. This will mark our third year doing it, the second with it not being part of a race.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm thinking of doing that one next year too. This year on the same weekend, buddy and I are doing our own long distance trail adventure. It started with a race that was canceled, we went and ran anyways and had a blast. It's now an annual thing. This will mark our third year doing it, the second with it not being part of a race.
Sometimes and it’s hard to do in a race is just to slow down and take in the views.

We were doing the spartan race “Beast” and we took a small time out on a steep climb just to hear a young lady say how something so beautiful can suck at the same time with tears running down her cheeks.

Made me look around and say wow and then looked up.....here we go

Good luck to all you adventure folks, stay healthy/safe and enjoy the challenges.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...