Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-29-2024, 12:35 PM

Default Trail Running Thread

I thought I would start a trail running thread, I know there are a couple runners on this forum. Just wondering if anyone is running through the winter. If anyone has signed up for any races or have any cool runs coming up this year.

Chris
Old 02-29-2024, 01:14 PM

Sin7 leg 5 again this year. We had such a good time last year that we doubled in size and have added a second team. Pending my schedule I’d like to do the castle mountain and Kimberly race. Haven’t been running a lot due to nagging knee injury. Hoping to change that up soon
Old 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM

That's awesome, I hope your knee gets better. I did leg 3 of Sin7 last year. Doing the 50K solo this year. Should be a great time again.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris84 View Post
That's awesome, I hope your knee gets better. I did leg 3 of Sin7 last year. Doing the 50K solo this year. Should be a great time again.
Awesome man!! I want to in a couple years attempt the 50k solo. I am not a distance guy so this is new for me in my 40's. If it doesn't challenge you it doesn't change you, right?

Knee has been buggered about 7 years now, they have been hesitant to fix it, so I figure if I blow it up real good they will have no choice. Lol
Old 02-29-2024, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
Awesome man!! I want to in a couple years attempt the 50k solo. I am not a distance guy so this is new for me in my 40's. If it doesn't challenge you it doesn't change you, right?

Knee has been buggered about 7 years now, they have been hesitant to fix it, so I figure if I blow it up real good they will have no choice. Lol
This is relatively new for me too. I jumped right into the deep end. I did my first 50k in September 2022, did legs 4 & 5 at the Death Race last year (about 53-54k with a ton of elevation) and another 50k last September. It's certainly challenging. I'm not quite in my 40's yet (about a month or so away) and am loving the challenge. We'll have to have a beer together at Sin7.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:30 PM

I’m signed up for Run Wild in St. Albert already. I’ll probably do a few of the Five Peaks circuits this year. Later in the year I do the Mazenkowski Heart run (just because I’m a former customer). There are a lot of choices every spring and summer season.

Because of the snow lately, I’ve been running indoors the past two months. I’m trying to keep it interesting by moving around a lot. I’ve been to the Leduc Rec Centre, Millenium Place in Sherwood Park, the Tri-Leisure in Spruce Grove, Servus Place in St. Albert, and the Edmonton rec centres (Kinsmen, Terwilliger). Because of my knees, I use the treadmills to train (usually 60 minute runs). And then the races on pavement and off road. I’m almost 61 years young and average 40 to 50 kilometres every month.

Last edited by 6MT; 02-29-2024 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:17 PM

I ran across a trail once. Gassed me pretty good , won’t do that again.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
I’m signed up for Run Wild in St. Albert already. I’ll probably do a few of the Five Peaks circuits this year. Later in the year I do the Mazenkowski Heart run (just because I’m a former customer). There are a lot of choices every spring and summer season.

Because of the snow lately, I’ve been running indoors the past two months. I’m trying to keep it interesting by moving around a lot. I’ve been to the Leduc Rec Centre, Millenium Place in Sherwood Park, the Tri-Leisure in Spruce Grove, Servus Place in St. Albert, and the Edmonton rec centres (Kinsmen, Terwilliger). Because of my knees, I use the treadmills to train (usually 60 minute runs). And then the races on pavement and off road. I’m almost 61 years young and average 40 to 50 kilometres every month.
I honestly find the treadmills are the worst for my knee.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
I honestly find the treadmills are the worst for my knee.
Yep, I agree. Not a huge fan of the treads. I've been running outside all winter still. I've done a handful of tread runs and a handful at the indoor track, but nothing beats the good ol' outdoors.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:47 PM

Quote:

In your 60's and still running. That's awesome! Thats great that you participate in the heart run. It always means a little more when you're running to raise money for a good cause. Cardiovascular health is something that touches most families, good on you.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
In your 60's and still running. That's awesome! Thats great that you participate in the heart run. It always means a little more when you're running to raise money for a good cause. Cardiovascular health is something that touches most families, good on you.
Well, the Maz saved my life. So I probably owe them my support. Great people. Four days in intensive care and three more in the ward. After that, six months of rehab. Then doctor supervised return to running.

While I don’t do the 10 to 15 kilometres everyday like I did in the military, at my age now, I’m happy with just being able to compete. I must say there’s a lot of younger folk I see that can’t keep up with me and that is somehow gratifying.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:41 PM

I try to get my 20KM run in a week but I am a flat terrain runner. Just have never been in an area with trail running and I'm not running in the bush here with the grizzlys and cougars by myself.

But just last summer I had my first trail run. I was invited when I was in the city for a Sunday morning trail run. I had a few beers the night before so I was a tad hungover but wow that was over quickly. 10kms of running through the river valley going up and down mountain bike paths. Crossing roads then back in the river valley. It was a blast to be honest. I was able to keep up with the group but the biggest difference was needing to be aware of your footing all the time watching for roots and all that good stuff. Plus going down hills was surprisingly hard to keep control. If I ever move anywhere where this is a regular thing I might have to take it up more often.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:05 PM

I took up running a year ago in January at 57. I use the tread in the winter then move to the trails in Fish Creek. Did my first 5k in May and signed up to do it again this year. Can’t wait to get back on the trails this spring!
Old 03-04-2024, 06:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Awesome to see such a healthy thread, keep it up, running just seems to clear your head and lifts your spirits.

Toss in other physical activities to break it up was what I found worked better for me and prevented injuries or at least gave them time to heal.

Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-04-2024, 06:50 AM

Default here's some insentive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK0pO79YkvY
Old 03-04-2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
I try to get my 20KM run in a week but I am a flat terrain runner. Just have never been in an area with trail running and I'm not running in the bush here with the grizzlys and cougars by myself.

But just last summer I had my first trail run. I was invited when I was in the city for a Sunday morning trail run. I had a few beers the night before so I was a tad hungover but wow that was over quickly. 10kms of running through the river valley going up and down mountain bike paths. Crossing roads then back in the river valley. It was a blast to be honest. I was able to keep up with the group but the biggest difference was needing to be aware of your footing all the time watching for roots and all that good stuff. Plus going down hills was surprisingly hard to keep control. If I ever move anywhere where this is a regular thing I might have to take it up more often.
Trail running is a lot of fun. Absolutely foot placement and downhills are super important. My first year doing trails, I lost two toenails and pretty sure I broke my big toe. I also burned up up my quads a few times on the downhills. Took a little bit, but figured out the downhills and they're the most fun part for sure.
I feel pretty fortunate to run in the Edmonton area river valley. Lot's of single track and hardly see anyone out there. At times it's hard to believe you're anywhere near a city.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly’s Mom View Post
I took up running a year ago in January at 57. I use the tread in the winter then move to the trails in Fish Creek. Did my first 5k in May and signed up to do it again this year. Can’t wait to get back on the trails this spring!
That's great to hear. When I'm in Calgary I try and run at Fish Creek, plenty of good trails there. Good luck on your 5k in May!
Old 03-04-2024, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Awesome to see such a healthy thread, keep it up, running just seems to clear your head and lifts your spirits.

Toss in other physical activities to break it up was what I found worked better for me and prevented injuries or at least gave them time to heal.

Good luck.
Running absolutely clears your head, that's what got me started in it. Needed a release for stressful times and wanted a release that was healthy. Not everyone understands why people run, especially long distance, but its certainly a great way to clear the find and build some mental fortitude to do hard things. There are certainly other methods of doing this, but this is the one for me!!
Old 03-04-2024, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Good luck.
Running's been great for me. Been doing it on and off for about 30 years.
I mix it up with mountain biking in the summer and ski touring in the winter.

I'm a way easier person the be around when I'm tired! Or so I've been told.
Old 03-04-2024, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly’s Mom View Post
That's great. Fish Creek has great trails.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:24 PM

I have done a couple Meet the Minotaur races in the pass. Those are challenging for me at least. I have done a few adventure races and prefer to do those. Navigating off a map and compass is allot of fun. Herd mentality definitely comes into play.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I have done a couple Meet the Minotaur races in the pass. Those are challenging for me at least. I have done a few adventure races and prefer to do those. Navigating off a map and compass is allot of fun. Herd mentality definitely comes into play.
I've watched some videos and checked the Minotaur out. Looks fun and challenging. Maybe one year I'll get up the nerve to try it. I've only done a couple small scrambles and just don't have a lot of experience above the tree line.
Adventure races just look awesome, super appealing. Hopefully sign up for one some day.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I've watched some videos and checked the Minotaur out. Looks fun and challenging. Maybe one year I'll get up the nerve to try it. I've only done a couple small scrambles and just don't have a lot of experience above the tree line.
Adventure races just look awesome, super appealing. Hopefully sign up for one some day.
Check out the Medicine Hat Massacre it’s 8hrs in the cypress hills with a dark time start. Been thinking about it but train through winter is tough because I’m lazy and like the indoors. 🤣
Old 03-06-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
The Minotaur is on my list. I did the Mini-taur last summer and that was tough! 10KM with 900M of elevation. I believe that's less than 1/3 of the full race.
Old 03-12-2024, 03:27 PM

I just finished 80kms in 28 days. I’m coming along fine.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I just finished 80kms in 28 days. I’m coming along fine.
Good on you 6MT!! That's great to hear. Keep it up!!

I've been keeping my mileage up as well, I have some pretty decent races this summer. I've been running for two years and building the mileage up as I go.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:07 AM

Anybody running any knee protection braces? Looking for recommendations. I have abnormally large thighs so finding something to stay up is a pain. Torn meniscus and mixed with some bowleggedness makes for some distance running discomfort.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:21 AM

Used to run 3-4 ultras a year, then the kids came along and running took a back seat. Got back into it last year with the 5 peaks series in Edmonton. Doing 5 peaks again this year and hopefully building back into ultras next season.

8 year old daughter and 6 year old son are both into the trail runs now and 5 peaks has a great community for the kiddos.

The Edmonton River valley is one of the main reasons we still live in Edmonton. Used to be able to go for a 50km run and only cross 2 roads.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:14 PM

Nice!! What Ultra's did you usually run? I have been trying to do two Ultra's per year and then a couple other trail runs in the 20-40k range.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:38 PM

Ultra running, it can consume your life in a good way..
It the first time in five years that I've haven't signed up for anything.
Got some longer backcountry route planned, sunshine parking lot to SprayLakes road, Rockwall again, skyline.
Might pickup a bib for Deathrace if I get some good training in and feeling it..